Scale Length for Late '90s DeArmond Starfire Bass

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Only thing that might sway me towards the DeArmond over a used Guild SF would be if it had a Sunburst finish. Think I'd still wind up with the NS Guild, because I love the Bi-Sonics and the neck profile and nut width are just perfect for me. I also prefer un-bound necks, appearance-wise. But I'm me and you're you, so your equation may differ.

There are definitely some great deals on Guild NS SFs (both I and II) out there if you are patient and ready (with cash) to strike when you find them. I found both an NS SF-I & an NS SF-II for under $900 apiece brand new with HSCs. I've seen used NS SF-Is in excellent condition go for $650. The SF-Is are fantastic basses, so don't write them off just because they don't have the neck pup: I believe that some here even prefer them to the SF-IIs.

Cnivek61

Reaction score
Only thing that might sway me towards the DeArmond over a used Guild SF would be if it had a Sunburst finish. Think I'd still wind up with the NS Guild, because I love the Bi-Sonics and the neck profile and nut width are just perfect for me. I also prefer un-bound necks, appearance-wise. But I'm me and you're you, so your equation may differ.

There are definitely some great deals on Guild NS SFs (both I and II) out there if you are patient and ready (with cash) to strike when you find them. I found both an NS SF-I & an NS SF-II for under $900 apiece brand new with HSCs. I've seen used NS SF-Is in excellent condition go for $650. The SF-Is are fantastic basses, so don't write them off just because they don't have the neck pup: I believe that some here even prefer them to the SF-IIs.

Good to know, Flats. The bass I'm looking at is Cherry, not Sunburst. Where have you seen new NS SF IIs for under $900? Online or in brick and mortar stores? Reverb? Amazon? eBay? With a HSC I would definitely consider that.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"Where have you seen new NS SF IIs for under $900? Online or in brick and mortar stores? Reverb? Amazon? eBay?"

Got the SF-I from MF during a big sale and the SF-II from a brick-and-mortar music store via Reverb. The latter was a one-off deal, so I'm guessing that maybe they were desperate to unload some inventory and/or the SF-II just wasn't moving in their local market. I bought both sight-unseen (a bit of a gamble), so either I got lucky or Guild has pretty good QC. MF's more recent 15-20% sales seem to exclude a lot more brands than they used to, or maybe it's just that I happen to have been lusting after the wrong brands/gear more recently.

(Edit after Photobucket blocked photo link) OK, that does it: I'm switching from Photobucket to Imgur. The barrage of pop-up ads that slowed my account to a crawl and rendered it all but useless was bad enough: now this. A quick checks shows that my links on all other threads in this forum have also been killed. Nice.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i just checked ebay, there are a couple new NS SF-2 basses w the case for $1299 or "best offer." August can be dreadful for retail, so if Minn Flats got one for $900, maybe that is a good time to try for a similar offer.

There is also a red new NS SF-1 bass w the case on ebay for $999 from a brick and mortar shop in NJ. The SF-1 is a fantastic bass, maybe keep an eye on that one too.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I set the budget for my first bass at $500, but am considering the Starfire for the reasons mentioned above. Otherwise, I'll probably end up with an Ibanez, G&L, Schecter, or PRS that falls in my original budget (and maybe save up for a Newark Street Starfire II).

Some guitarists have had trouble dealing with 34" scale lengths on bass. If you don't think you will be one of them you might consider a Guild Pilot. Genuine Guild from Westerly and you can find them for $500 and less. I just asked Uncle Google about Guild Pilot Bass and of the first five results in the shopping section, three were under $500. I spot checked those and you should expect "normal" wear and minor cosmetic issues but should be good solid players.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you found a nice like new Dearmond SF bass from the 90s with a set neck, USA humbuckers and hard case in the $500-700 range, you would be doing pretty good. NS Bisonic reissues are maybe $200-300 for a pair, and you could buy those later.

Cnivek61

Reaction score
If you found a nice like new Dearmond SF bass from the 90s with a set neck, USA humbuckers and hard case in the $500-700 range, you would be doing pretty good. NS Bisonic reissues are maybe $200-300 for a pair, and you could buy those later.

That sums it up pretty well, mavuser. I was hoping someone might comment on the deal one way or the other, so thanks for that. I'll post bact to this thread when I decide what to do with pics as appropriate (if I'm allowed to post pictures).

What are the chances this guitar may have neck issues after 18 years, even if showing little play wear? I read other threads about susceptability of Guilds to needing neck resets.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
also there is a used "mint as new" NS SF-1 on Reverb for 889 and a brand new NS M-85 on Reverb for 899 right now. and u could probably find a used NS SF-1 for even less

mellowgerman

Reaction score
also there is a used "mint as new" NS SF-1 on Reverb for 889 and a brand new NS M-85 on Reverb for 899 right now. and u could probably find a used NS SF-1 for even less

Yup, if you're patient, one will come along. There was one on the talkbass forum classified section a few months back for $750 shipped. That one sold, but there's an NS SFB-II on there now for under 1k. You can see that one here, plus the older/closed listings for reference
https://www.talkbass.com/search/14034650/?q=starfire&o=relevance&c[node]=126

Last edited:

Cnivek61

Reaction score
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread! I took a leap and bought a hardly-played-at-all, red 1999 DeArmond Starfire on Reverb for a decent price with DA hard shell case. NGD photos to follow, assuming I can figure out the link-to-hosted-photo-site process. Will start by re-stringing with med scale Chromes, thanks to the reference by Minnesota Flats.

mikbass

Reaction score
I have the luxury of owning one of each. A Dearmond from -99 and a singlepickup Guild, as yet undated by me ( serialnr KSG1200453), and I am in the process of playing them A-B against/beside each other. Quite a nice way to spend time...

Oh, and they are both red.

Reaction score
Guild Total
"Both are 15.1/4" from the edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret "

There we have it: definitely NOT a 32" (medium-scale) bass.

This thread is 1125 days old, ha! Yet, here I am.. I'm confused by your answer. So I should not buy 32" strings for the Starfire? Which ones then? I'm looking at LaBella's. Please help!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
This thread is 1125 days old, ha! Yet, here I am.. I'm confused by your answer. So I should not buy 32" strings for the Starfire? Which ones then? I'm looking at LaBella's. Please help!

Minnesota's reference to the 15.1/4" measurement just confirms that all Starfire basses have a 30.5" scale, which can be measured from the nut where the fretboard meets the headstock to the 12th fret, then multiplied by 2. On a properly intonated bass, the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge saddle is always going to be the same as the distance from the nut to the 12th fret.
*Slight variation there will occur based on how high the action on the bass is, as the higher the action, the farther the string has to be depressed to make contact with the fret, thus stretching the length a hair.
All that babbling aside, medium scale (32" scale) strings often fit Starfires best because of the distance from the bridge saddles to where the ball ends of the strings are anchored at the back of the bridge. Most bass bridge designs, like Fender's and Gibson's, have less distance beyond the saddle to where the ball ends anchor, so a short-scale (30" scale) set often will be a bit short because the extra length on the Guild bridge would not be factored into their measurements. This is also the same reason you'll sometimes see "hofner" scale strings (like LaBella's "Beatle bass" offerings), as Hofners also have additional length beyond the saddle, even though the actual scale of those basses is 30".
Hope that makes sense! For extra guidance on this, let us know what brand and model of strings you're looking at and we should be able to tap the collective LTG wisdom and experience and let you know whether to go for a short-scale or medium-scale set, as there are a few short-scale sets out there that will be long enough.

DeArmond Hammer

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG, @deFries. The strings need to be long enough for the nut-to-bridge scale plus the distance from the bridge back to where the string's ball end is anchored, which is significant on a Starfire. Here is LaBella's guide to selecting the right strings:

On my Newark St. Starfire, LaBella's Medium Scale is the correct length.

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you for the explanation, now I understand! Today in the mail I will receive La Bella 760FL-M strings. (Choice was limited here in Amsterdam). Hopefully a good gauge.. Length: confident!