Scale Length for Late '90s DeArmond Starfire Bass

Cnivek61

Reaction score
Hi,

Would someone please confirm the scale length of the made in Korea DeArmond Starfire bass from this era? I have seen references to "medium scale" but no actual measurement spec. To me, medium scale is 32" +/-. Anyone? Thanks!

Kevin

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
I think they share a 30.75" scale length with their Guild namesakes. The confusion as to whether either one has a "short" or "medium" scale length arises from the extra distance between the bridge saddles and string anchor points (when compared to, say, a Fender Precision or Jazz bass). Because of this, some string sets for these basses must be medium-scale rather than short-scale in order to keep the silk wrappings out of the nut slots. The same holds true for Fender Mustang Basses (the new "PJ" excepted) because of their "string-through" bridge design.

That said, I must admit that I've never owned or even played a DeArmond Starfire (only Guilds), so someone with more intimate knowledge than myself self will probably chime in later to either confirm or refute the above.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
I recall that I used TI 324 Jazz Flats when I owned one. So 32" strings.

Cnivek61

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, Flats! I read an article warning about the extra string distance on some basses, so I appreciate you confirming that situation.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
I've heard that the string spacing is a little bit wider than regular Guild Starfires. Maybe worth looking into if it matters.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"I've heard that the string spacing is a little bit wider than regular Guild Starfires"

I think that may be correct: slightly wider nut, maybe more like a Precision nut while the Guild nut is closer to that of a Jazz.

ukulelelab

Reaction score
I have both in front of me. Guild neck is approx 40mm wide at the nut. Dearmond about 42mm. Spacing about the same on both. Dearmond neck is bound. Guild isn't.

Last edited:

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Thanks, ukulelelab.

While you're at it, could you measure the DeArmond SF's scale length? Let's put that confusion to rest once and for all (at least in THIS thread). Thanks

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, ukulelelab.

While you're at it, could you measure the DeArmond SF's scale length? Let's put that confusion to rest once and for all (at least in THIS thread). Thanks

But please report how you measured it and use units, not short, medium or long :)

Others may disagree with me but I was taught that the best way to measure the scale length was to measure the distance from the edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret and multiply that measurement by two. This should be the same regardless of which string used and how the instrument is intonation.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
My DA starfire definitely had an extra millimeter or two from string to string at the bridge. I know this for sure because I installed a set of DS-1 darkstars on mine (identical pole spacing to vintage bisonics) and though the neck position was okay, the bridge pickup spacing did not match the string spacing on that end, though it didn't produce any audible issues soundwise.
Never measured the spacing at the nut though

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"Both are 15.1/4" from the edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret "

There we have it: definitely NOT a 32" (medium-scale) bass.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
"Both are 15.1/4" from the edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret "

There we have it: definitely NOT a 32" (medium-scale) bass.

The part of me that likes taxonomies and consistency and people playing by MY rules gets very frustrated with the terms long, short and so on describing bass scales. Scale length is important - it effects playing and tone and most bass makers are pretty consistent.

• Extra Long - 35" or greater
  • Long - 34"
  • Medium - 32"
  • Short - 30"

But because of bridge geometry a string with one label may not fit a bass with the same label. In the Guild world there are Short scale strings that are too short for a Starfire bass, Short scale strings that fit just fine, Medium scale strings that are too long and Mediums that fit just fine.

In My Day we bought bass strings once every 20 years or so because knowing which brands fit was hard before the internet and it was uphill, both ways, to the music store.

Cnivek61

Reaction score
So, here's another question: I'm looking at one of these in a pawn shop, not a guitar dealer, so I'm a bit cautious about condition and disclosures. Are there any known issues with this model that I should ask about? I'm probably overanalyzing at this point, but thought I would ask the experts.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
So, here's another question: I'm looking at one of these in a pawn shop, not a guitar dealer, so I'm a bit cautious about condition and disclosures. Are there any known issues with this model that I should ask about? I'm probably overanalyzing at this point, but thought I would ask the experts.

I don't recall anyone ever mentioning things to watch out for but then again I don't remember too many specific comments about the D'Armonds. I suspect you are over analyzing things, a trait I share.

I do have two comments. Is the price low enough that you can afford to make a mistake? How many dinners out would you have to give up if you bought it and it was a total loss? Is it high enough that it would not be much more to aim for a used Newark Street Starfire (~$700) instead?

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Given that the DeArmond has 2 pickups, I would miss having a master volume (which the Guild SFII does and the DeArmond does not, unless one has been added). Other than that, I would evaluate its condition as I would that of any other prospective bass purchase.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Grab a Newark street bass, the pickups have some nice growl

Cnivek61

Reaction score
I don't recall anyone ever mentioning things to watch out for but then again I don't remember too many specific comments about the D'Armonds. I suspect you are over analyzing things, a trait I share.

I do have two comments. Is the price low enough that you can afford to make a mistake? How many dinners out would you have to give up if you bought it and it was a total loss? Is it high enough that it would not be much more to aim for a used Newark Street Starfire (~$700) instead?

Good thoughts, fronobulax. I'm starting to learn the bass after a few years learning guitar. This DeArmond bass is attractive for reasons of the classic Guild design, semi-hollow construction, and DA reputation for high quality builds out of Korea in this period.

The asking price is $650 plus shipping, described as excellent condition with controls working as intended, and includes the DA HSC. The seller is out of state, so it would be a leap of faith based on his condition description, and a gamble that I would end up with a classic bass in excellent condition.

I confirmed a transaction on Reverb for an almost identical guitar and case for $550 plus shipping two years ago, so that sets my benchmark. It would injure my pride more than my finances if I had to have remedial work done or re-sell as a museum piece. I set the budget for my first bass at $500, but am considering the Starfire for the reasons mentioned above. Otherwise, I'll probably end up with an Ibanez, G&L, Schecter, or PRS that falls in my original budget (and maybe save up for a Newark Street Starfire II).

I appreciate all the good input, I just need to make up my mind!

Last edited: