Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scale Length for Late '90s DeArmond Starfire Bass

Scale Length for Late '90s DeArmond Starfire Bass

Hi,

Would someone please confirm the scale length of the made in Korea DeArmond Starfire bass from this era? I have seen references to "medium scale" but no actual measurement spec. To me, medium scale is 32" +/-. Anyone? Thanks!

Kevin
    2015 Guild Starfire IV ST
    Epiphone ES-339 PRO
    Seagull S6 Original

I think they share a 30.75" scale length with their Guild namesakes. The confusion as to whether either one has a "short" or "medium" scale length arises from the extra distance between the bridge saddles and string anchor points (when compared to, say, a Fender Precision or Jazz bass). Because of this, some string sets for these basses must be medium-scale rather than short-scale in order to keep the silk wrappings out of the nut slots. The same holds true for Fender Mustang Basses (the new "PJ" excepted) because of their "string-through" bridge design.

That said, I must admit that I've never owned or even played a DeArmond Starfire (only Guilds), so someone with more intimate knowledge than myself self will probably chime in later to either confirm or refute the above.

I recall that I used TI 324 Jazz Flats when I owned one. So 32" strings.

Thanks for the quick response, Flats! I read an article warning about the extra string distance on some basses, so I appreciate you confirming that situation.
    Epiphone ES-339 PRO
    Seagull S6 Original

Thank you, Happy Face!
    Epiphone ES-339 PRO
    Seagull S6 Original

I use medium-scale Chromes on both my Starfires and my Mustang.

I've heard that the string spacing is a little bit wider than regular Guild Starfires. Maybe worth looking into if it matters.

"I've heard that the string spacing is a little bit wider than regular Guild Starfires"

I think that may be correct: slightly wider nut, maybe more like a Precision nut while the Guild nut is closer to that of a Jazz.

I have both in front of me. Guild neck is approx 40mm wide at the nut. Dearmond about 42mm. Spacing about the same on both. Dearmond neck is bound. Guild isn't.
    Last edited by ukulelelab; 07-12-2017 at 07:19 PM.
    65 Jetstar Bass
    90's Starfire Bass II

Thanks, ukulelelab.

While you're at it, could you measure the DeArmond SF's scale length? Let's put that confusion to rest once and for all (at least in THIS thread). Thanks