Set up on my CE100D

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
I recently bought the '59 CE100D mentioned here: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?192707-1958-ce-100d

It had super light-feeling strings on it which measured about .0085 - .009 on my caliper. So I figure it was a .009 - .042 set, way too light. I restrung it with DR Pure .011 - .050 and had to set up the intonation. The guitar has a non-original Tune-a-matic style bridge. I noticed the strings didn't line up with the pickup pole pieces either. Here is the before:

Fdw4Gn.jpg

Here's the after:

42eZEQ.jpg

Now I just need to correct the out-of-phase two pickup position, the treble roll off at less than full volume, and install a strap button.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Nice! A cap/resistor treble bleed network (or "50s Gibson" wiring) will take care of the high end rolloff. If the CE100D were mine I'd have someone else do the work, though, as I'm too impatient to fish around for pots and wires inside archtops. :)

I've modded one of the Ibanez semis I picked up a few months ago with a Molex quick-connector for the neck pickup. This lets me switch between in-phase and out-of-phase with both pickups on by unplugging the male connector, flipping it 180° and plugging it back in. 8^) (So far I've just left it OOP as the pickups in this guitar sound killer wired that way.)

-Dave-

Zelja

Reaction score
The excessive treble rolloff is when you turn down the volume is probably due to what is sometimes called "independent" wiring. To be sure of this, plug the guitar into an amp, put the pickup selector switch in both positions & turn one of the volume pots to zero (full off). If you still have sound then it is wired this way.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
I've got the TV Jones tubing kit for fishing the pots and switch through the body. I used to tie fishing line around the parts but the tubing works better. Probably go with the "'50's wiring" instead of the treble bleed.
One of my old Guilds had a huge cap on the neck pickup volume pot that was like constant "jazz tone" - I had that removed in a hurry!

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Thanks!

I discovered yesterday that with both pickups on, by rolling down the volume just slightly on one pickup the tone goes from too out of phase (thin and plinky) to an actual usable out of phase tone - nasally, honky and kinda cool sounding. When both are full up there's too much cancellation. I may keep it this way and just do the 50's wiring to try to keep some of the high-end intact at less than full volume.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I discovered yesterday that with both pickups on, by rolling down the volume just slightly on one pickup the tone goes from too out of phase (thin and plinky) to an actual usable out of phase tone - nasally, honky and kinda cool sounding.

Yeah, this is my experience too. I leave my '73 S-100's phase switch "on" pretty much all the time 'cuz I rarely have both pickups going at full volume. Usually the neck p'up is rolled off some, though this guitar also sounds great OOP with the neck p'up full on and the bridge rolled off a notch.

-Dave-