Ngd. 1983 d-52

refret

Reaction score

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Wow, congrats! I'm jealous! That's a great price! Did it come with the original case? I bought my '84 D40 2 years ago on Ebay for $800 and I thought that was a great price. Enjoy!
Tony

'84 D40 NT
'96 D4 NT
'96' D25 CH
'98 D225 (12 string)
'98 D30 AB
'00 Taylor 414ce

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, congrats! I'm jealous! That's a great price! Did it come with the original case? I bought my '84 D40 2 years ago on Ebay for $800 and I thought that was a great price. Enjoy!
Tony

'84 D40 NT
'96 D4 NT
'96' D25 CH
'98 D225 (12 string)
'98 D30 AB
'00 Taylor 414ce

I think 800 for a D40 is solid. A D40 is on par in my mind with a DV52...I mean if people are paying 600-700 for a D35, well...:)
for comparison, this dude is trying to get 625 for his D25, a price I would consider paying had I the funds not going elsewhere, and I would not feel like I got robbed, etc...I would prefer 500 or 550, but still, 800 for a D40 is a good deal.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/msg/6151614299.html

Then of course, there are the crazies too: https://reverb.com/item/5285107-guild-d25-usa-corona-2003-cherry

LOL

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
8 bills ain't bad for a nice D-40, but even better for a D-52. That D-25 looks pretty good at $625 too.

refret

Reaction score
It came in a pretty nice gig bag, but I have a case for it.
trying to thin things out and I was looking for a rosewood dread for my picking pleasure.
The D-52 popped up and I just had too......you all know how it is.
I retired from my regular job, eyes are too old for anything more than simple guitar maintenance tasks like truss rod adjustments, etc., so I am settling in to playing again.
The 52 is just what I needed for my picking pleasure!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I retired from my regular job, eyes are too old for anything more than simple guitar maintenance tasks like truss rod adjustments, etc., so I am settling in to playing again.

congrats! sounds perfect.

tarheelguild

Reaction score
I think 800 for a D40 is solid. A D40 is on par in my mind with a DV52...I mean if people are paying 600-700 for a D35, well...:)
for comparison, this dude is trying to get 625 for his D25, a price I would consider paying had I the funds not going elsewhere, and I would not feel like I got robbed, etc...I would prefer 500 or 550, but still, 800 for a D40 is a good deal.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/msg/6151614299.html

Then of course, there are the crazies too: https://reverb.com/item/5285107-guild-d25-usa-corona-2003-cherry

LOL

Thanks for the support on my D40. The saddle is very low. My luthier put a new nut on it when I got it and it plays beautifully. I'm astounded by that price on the D25 from France; crazy indeed! I think the '79 looks like a sweet deal. I bought my '96 D25 CH for $700 a few years ago. it also had a LR Baggs under the saddle pickup in it. I had feedback problems with it so I had it removed and replaced with a Martin passive pickup which I liked much better.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
It came in a pretty nice gig bag, but I have a case for it.
trying to thin things out and I was looking for a rosewood dread for my picking pleasure.
The D-52 popped up and I just had too......you all know how it is.
That's right. A DV-52 has great bass response, plus is balanced in the mids and highs as well. Great picking gitfiddle.

refret

Reaction score
This one is apparently an early iteration before the DV-52 came along. Just "D-52", paddle headstock, serial number EK100002 from 1983.
The production was quite limited as I understand, the serial numbers end in 1984 after 54 as I recall.
i did hear from Hans that the total was a little over 100 going into 1985.
it is quite the picker though! I was surprised to see a rosewood bridgeplate in it, I guess it was early enough to get one instead of maple, maybe the second one made???

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the support on my D40. The saddle is very low. My luthier put a new nut on it when I got it and it plays beautifully. I'm astounded by that price on the D25 from France; crazy indeed!
I think that's just the way things are in Europe right now with exchange rate, also, Corona D25's aren't too common, only made for just under 2 years, and they probably get a lot more respect as a Corona (made in USA) than they do here.
So possibly the asking price is only a little bit high, by French standards.
What's interesting is that my curiosity was aroused when I looked at that listing and saw two other misrepresented D40's below that D25.
Beware Mike's Guitar Bar in Seattle https://reverb.com/item/5873104-200...guitar-fender-corona-bluegrass-jubilee-w-case
because:
A: That guitar has the defaced label and s/n sticker on headstock characteristic of MIRC ("lIquidated and refurbished") guitars,
B: Corona did not call their D40's "Bluegrass Jubilee"; that was revived in Tacoma to call out D40's and D50's with Red Spruce tops,
C: This statement: "and based on the limited information available on this transition era, the Corona Guilds were actually manufactured at the old Westerly factory and assembled in Corona, CA!" is just flat-out inaccurate and worded in a way that allows the seller to weasel out of responsibility for its accuracy.
(It is true that some kits of un-assembled guitars were shipped from Westerly to Corona to give their novice acoustic builders some experience in final assembly.
I can recall seeing maybe 3 or 4 over the years that looked as if they actually had Westerly necks on 'em and those were JF30's and D50, the Westerly style "snakehead" headstock was the giveaway, but that doesn't mean they were actually "kit guitars".
I think it more likely they just shipped perfectly good leftover necks from Westerly that they used during very early Corona builds. Saw old Westerly-spec Fishman Prefix Pro-Blend pre amps on very early Coronas recently, too.)
I don't ever recall seeing a concrete answer (like from Hans) about whether any of the "kit guitars" ever even made it to actual retail sale.
D: the case is not an original case.
Taken together with the assured tone of knowledgability of the listing I smell disingenuous seller, just like we used to see when these liquidation Coronas originally hit the market about 12 years ago.
Second red herring D40:
https://reverb.com/item/5848510-guild-d-40-2005-aged-natural-gloss
That's a GAD40ce pure and simple,note the fretboard, pickguad, and lack of TRC.
W-a-a-ay over priced even if it does have (and why the hell does it need?), a "$300.00 Custom case" (not even pictured). Those came with their own cases.
NO excuse for calling it a D40 when there's a label inside it.
That will also clearly state "Made in China"
Oh well it's been a while since I've seen some of these flagrant misrepresentations.
Even if unintentional, I see it as constructive negligence since the errors would tend to favor the seller's interests, not the buyer's. Yes I'm out for blood today.

But they do tend to amplify the value of an honestly presented piece like yours.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited: