Proofread your Craigslist posts

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
HAAAAAA HAAAAAA!! Kinda like when CVS tries to truncate "Assorted" for their big sale!!

H5UeSa.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
No kidding, at my wife's aunt's funeral last year the "In Memorium" card and obituary both said "Virginia assed away..."

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
In a previous job I received a mailing addressed to "Manager Quality ***".....

I suspect we can expect more such "errors" in the future since it seems many younger folks cannot write, cannot spell, cannot make a complete sentence and cannot read what they have written. And we won't even go there for the "cashier making change" thing...... (OK - they cannot count and cannot do math!! Did I cover the bases now?)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In a previous job I received a mailing addressed to "Manager Quality ***".....

I suspect we can expect more such "errors" in the future since it seems many younger folks cannot write, cannot spell, cannot make a complete sentence and cannot read what they have written. And we won't even go there for the "cashier making change" thing...... (OK - they cannot count and cannot do math!! Did I cover the bases now?)
Steve, I'm sure we can think of more, but I think you got all the big stuff!!! LOL!!

I had a cashier at Home Depot in tears because I gave her bills when the totally was $XX.25 and after she put the dollar amount I gave her, I handed her a quarter. She had NO IDEA what to do and was afraid she was gonna have to get a manager and get in trouble. I had to talk her through the math, and she still thought it was wrong. She actually started CRYING!! I was like, to myself "Well, maybe a cashier isn't the best job for you with your skills...."

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
We have largely given up proofreading in deference to spell-checkers.

One of my profs told us to proofread our stuff backwards, from bottom to top; it forces you to actually look at each word.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of my profs told us to proofread our stuff backwards, from bottom to top; it forces you to actually look at each word.
That's actually a good idea. When you read things forward and you know the context it's easy to miss stuff. I like to have someone else proof my stuff but that's not always possible.

Kinda like when Grandma gets a new phone......

grandmatext.jpg

Opsimath

Reaction score
That's actually a good idea. When you read things forward and you know the context it's easy to miss stuff. I like to have someone else proof my stuff but that's not always possible.

Kinda like when Grandma gets a new phone......

grandmatext.jpg

I have tears running down my face! That is so funny! Oklahoma - I'm still laughing!

Opsimath

Reaction score
I got one, and this is not a joke. I was in the lamp section of a well-known large discount store where a handwritten sign on posterboard said verbatim: "These units uses an 60 watt bulb". Weeks later my husband and I were in the store. I had told him about the sign and we went to the lamp section thinking surely the manager had seen the sign and had it taken down. You would think so anyway. No, it was still there and still proudly stating for the world to see that "These units uses an 60 watt bulb".

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've seen lots of these over the years, but here's a classic email from a student I have saved. The greeting says:

"Dead Prof. Corcoran,"

Made me look around when I returned to my car that day... :eek-new:

walrus