Setzer Mullet Guild

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wait, that's not an acoustic? It looks like one and is named/numbered like one. Why would a solid body have a glued on bridge like that?

So many questions.

It's an "Acoustic/Electric"

"F" = Folk Body, "S" = Solid, "46" = Series#, "C" = Cutaway, "E" = Electric

Looks like somebody could use a lesson on the "Crossroads" Series! (I have all but one, the elusive D-48! Oh, and the "Two-on-a-side FS-Bass.)

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And just because...

briansetzer1_zWm.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's an "Acoustic/Electric"

"F" = Folk Body, "S" = Solid, "46" = Series#, "C" = Cutaway, "E" = Electric

Looks like somebody could use a lesson on the "Crossroads" Series! (I have all but one, the elusive D-48! Oh, and the "Two-on-a-side FS-Bass.)

I know embarrassingly little about Guild acoustics.

I'll also admit to having no idea that S = Solid. All those S300/S100/Sxxx I've owned. Huh.

What's X? X500, X170, X150 - I'm assuming hollow or semi-hollow. But then, what about the X100 and the X92? Later Nightbirds were X2000s (though I guess those are hollow) and there are X4000s on VintageMaster's site (which I think are solid).

What's M? As in M80?

Maybe I should go re-read all those Guild books I have instead of just referencing them when needed.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh I didn't say all the letter prefixes made sense for all the models, I was just explaining that particular series!

You really need to play an "FS", (or DS,) they are completely different then anything else.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's a 24-fret acoustic. I've never seen that. Perhaps long fretboard would be better than long neck.

They actually had a bunch of those as shown on that Beesley book page Krysh linked to (yiou can scroll through many models), as well as all the early versions of F4ce, F5ce, F15ce, and F65ce.
Those went "long-scale" (22 fret) in late '94, but then they went to 1-5/8 nut from 1-11/16.
Even Songbirds show the 25-5/8" scale in the Guild Gallery #1 ('97), but I'm not sure that's actually correct.
I know embarrassingly little about Guild acoustics.
Like everybody else is saying, that would be "IF" you actually want to call that very narrow niche "Acoustics".
I think there's a reason they didn't last very long whereas the more acoustically competent Songbird (routed solid 'hog body) and later "Fxxce" 's (traditional acoustic construction methods) stayed in production a lot longer although granted at least part of that may have been due to vastly improved transducer technology.
What's X? X500, X170, X150 - I'm assuming hollow or semi-hollow.
X-braced top.
OK, I confess,I just put 2 & 2 together when reviewing specs for Songbirds/S4ce's and saw this on the Westerly Guild guitars page:
"Arguably the most unique Guild model, the S4CE was an idea that came to Guild from Nashville. The body is the size of the famous Guild Bluesbird, with an acoustic chamber that is routed from a solid piece of mahogany. The body is then fitted with an "X" brace solid spruce top. The result is an acoustic-electric instrument that is the size of an electric guitar, but with the sound of a true acoustic."
But then, what about the X100 and the X92? Later Nightbirds were X2000s (though I guess those are hollow)
And just to add a little more spice to the stew, I saw the Songbird called the "X30 Songbird" for the first time on that Beesley page, too. Those were derived directly from Nightbirds.
What's M? As in M80?
A firecracker.
Maybe I should go re-read all those Guild books I have instead of just referencing them when needed.

And may you retain the info better than I do sometimes.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's X? X500, X170, X150 - I'm assuming hollow or semi-hollow. But then, what about the X100 and the X92? Later Nightbirds were X2000s (though I guess those are hollow) and there are X4000s on VintageMaster's site (which I think are solid). What's M? As in M80?
Even Hans doesn't explain in the Prefix/Suffix section on page 48 of his book if the "X"-prefix in the 50ies had a real meaning. And much later on maybe for experimental or so.
But he tells that "M" was standing for "midget" like in the M-75.
Ralf