a quick rundown on my bridge project

grayghost53

Reaction score
for anyone interested in the roller bridge I made up for my model III here's the details.

materials: a spare stock aluminum base (standard Guild post spacing)
8-32 tap
#29 drill bit
8-32 X1" allen head stainless steel set (or "grub') screws cup bottom

bridge: wilkenson roller bridge with post locking (2" string spread)

I had a spare aluminum base from a previous project- it was the standard Guild post spacing. I used a cut-off wheel on my dremel and shaved the fixed posts off (leaving just a fraction that I took down when I polished it out). I decided that I would bump up to an 8-32 post in place of the 6-32. after polishing the top smooth I centered the new bridge on the base, marked the spot for the new post spacing ( 2.920"/74.17mm). I drilled through the base with a #29 bit. I went completely through to maximize the amount of base thickness for tapping. I used a 8-32 tap and cut threads through the base holes. I screwed my new posts into the base and then the thumbwheels- I re-tapped the thumbwheels to 8-32 and screwed them down flush with the top of the base. then put the new bridge on and determined how tall I wanted the posts. I marked the excess screw under the base, removed the posts and by using two 8-32 nuts ran them down to where I needed to trim the excess threads- using the top nut as a jam nut to keep everything in place. back to the cutoff wheel and removing the excess from the post-again leaving just a "hair" to take down as I polished it. then simply ran the two nuts off the newly cut end to act as thread chasers. then screwed the trimmed "posts" into the base from the bottom side. I used Loctite Red threadlocker to keep the posts nice and solid, but without permanently locking them in place. the post locking with affect the threads going through the bridge itself, but I have allowed more than ample post height to adjust as needed.
well, that's about it. I purchased the bridge on ebay from performancemusicco for $18.95 with free S&H, I also located the 8-32X1" stainless steel set screws on ebay from monsterbolts. they offered 10pcs for $5.92 again free S&H and I have the extras if I need them. any good hardware store can provide an 8-32 tap (I paid $3.75 for mine), and about the same for a new #29 bit. I did have to "clean" up the post holes in the bridge itself to clear out any casting material etc.
so if you have one of the aluminum bases you can replicate this for just under $30. hope this info can help someone else wanting to go roller with their bigbsy or Guildsby equipped guitar.