1966 x-175

Mark 63

Reaction score
UPS delivered a very cool X-175 today, and I'd love to share it with everyone here (where I've mostly been lurking for the past 10 years). But I don't seem to have enough rights to post pictures or attachments.
The guitar is in much better condition after 50 years than I am, and it plays and sounds like heaven. Looks to be 100% original--tuners, pickups, knobs and deco pickguard. Even the original pamphlets and receipt from a store in Tulsa are still intact. Neck is 1 11/16 at the nut. Neck is straight and the action is low.

If you want to see it, RetroFret in Brooklyn still has it posted:
http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=7583&CartID=

(I have never in my life been to a cooler guitar store than RetroFret. It's really worth finding.)

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Ah, I saw this one on Reverb and was tempted. Congrats!

RetroFret is a great shop. It's one of my go-to spots when I'm in NYC and have some spare time.

Re. photos: you have to store 'em online somewhere else and then link to 'em from here.

-Dave-

Mark 63

Reaction score

OK thanks. Here is me at RetroFret yesterday--deeply concentrating on getting In Your Own Sweet Way right to impress my buddy. The photo convinced me that this was the right guitar, and I didn't need to keep saving for an ES-175.
I'm loving the HB-1 pickups. They're so clear and sound good at all tone/volume settings (said no one ever about PAF-style humbuckers).

Had I more time, I'd have plugged in the Starfires. And to the right of the Strats was a dreamy row of 50s Telecasters. But we also had plans to visit KB Sax in Queens.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Those are the minibuckers. The HB-1s are bigger and later. I live the minis!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
congratulations, that's a beautiful guitar! I've visited Retrofret once.....amazing inventory, nice folks, and they know their stuff. Prices are on the high side, but the guitars they sell play and are usually in above average condition.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Looks like you were made for each other. Congratulations, she's a beauty.