Strings for T50?

Jerry1

Reaction score
A recent thread recommended using DR Pure Blues .12's on an electric arch top and I got to wondering about my Guild. I recently acquired a beautiful vintage T50 with Guildsby and I'd appreciate some recommendations on strings for blues and rock-a-billy. And I seem to recall something about wound versus unwound when you use a Bigsby. Thanks for your help.
Jerry

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
A fixed intonation bridge (which your T-50 likely has) calibrated for a wound third string usually won't intonate so well with an unwound third as you play up the neck. Notes on the third string will shift progressively sharper. Depending on how you play and where on the fretboard you play this may or may not matter. With archtops I tend not to use the "dusty end" so much. OTOH I dislike the feel and general intonatability of unwound thirds, regardless of how the bridge is set up or calibrated. But I'm an outlier in this respect…

Re. strings: I think it's best to try out different brands and types. Find out what you like.

-Dave-

Last edited:

planetguy

Reaction score
I use that set of DR's on my '54 X-150 and really dig them. If i'm not using flatwounds, I always go w pure nickel (vs. nickel plated) strings. Those DR Pure Blues are pure nickel.

Nickel is warmer than steel, easier on your frets and hands, and they'll give you some nice acoustic tone when you're not plugged in.

Flatwounds are nice and warm, last forever, and have no string "zing" when you're sliding around... but played acoustically won't produce the same volume and can sound kinda dead/muffled compared to roundwounds.

Re. strings: I think it's best to try out different brands and types. Find out what you like.

-Dave-

yes, that!

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I guess I'm an outlier, too, I always use a wound third...

walrus