X170 help and questions

jiagap

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum. Have owned a Guild G37BL for almost 40 years and love it.

Yesterday, I just bought a beautiful used X170. Did I say beautiful!!!

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) it came with flat wound strings on it. I do not like. What strings and what gauge would you recommend for playing blues?

2) with the pickup select in the middle, if I turn down the bridge PU or the neck PU all the way, the volume dies completely - is that normal, I had assumed middle position was both PU and if I turned one down the other would still be active. Please help me understand.

3) the serial number on mine is AK170953, yet all the Guild Serial Number guides I have consulted online only go to 1997 AK170799. Any help with interpreting my number?

4) open to any other recommendations.

Thanks for any responses. This guitar drips tone even with the flat wound strings and is built like a tank; I think I am in for a joyful ride.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum. Have owned a Guild G37BL for almost 40 years and love it.

Yesterday, I just bought a beautiful used X170. Did I say beautiful!!! Anyway, I have a few questions:

3) the serial number on mine is AK170953, yet all the Guild Serial Number guides I have consulted online only go to 1997 AK170799. Any help with interpreting my number?

Hello jiagap,

Welcome! There are plenty of folks here on this forum who will be more than happy to chat with you re. question 1, 2 and 4, but I can tell you that your X-170 was completed during the year 1998.

Hope you will enjoy the instrument!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

ClaytonS15

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a big fan on DR Pure Blues .12s. They're great on archtops like your X170. Congratulation on your recent purchase.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Jiagap, welcome to the forum. You chose wisely in selecting an X-170. But now you need to post pictures.

I also have a 1998 X-170, a few numbers off from yours. They are fantastic guitars.

I like to use D'Addario XL Half Rounds 10-52 on mine.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

Yesterday, I just bought a beautiful used X170. Did I say beautiful!!!

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) it came with flat wound strings on it. I do not like. What strings and what gauge would you recommend for playing blues?

2) with the pickup select in the middle, if I turn down the bridge PU or the neck PU all the way, the volume dies completely - is that normal, I had assumed middle position was both PU and if I turned one down the other would still be active. Please help me understand.

4) open to any other recommendations.

Thanks for any responses. This guitar drips tone even with the flat wound strings and is built like a tank; I think I am in for a joyful ride.

1) Strings are a very personal thing. I like Ernie Ball 10s especially for bending. Other people like 13s, etc. Note that changing gauge will likely cause the neck to need to settle over a couple of days and you may need to tweak the truss rod. Also your bridge will be intonated for either a wound or plain 3rd. We'd need to see pics to know which, though to me it never mattered much.

2) Totally normal. This is "coupled wiring" and is pretty common. It can be converted to "decoupled wiring" where it will behave more as you expect, but working on hollow bodies is kind of a PITA and I wouldn't alter a vintage Guild.

3) Hans is the authority.

4) Post pics! :nevreness:

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
My approach with 24.75" (or thereabouts) scale length guitars is to start with a set of 11s and then go from there. If they're too light or too heavy you'll realize it before long. I'd also start with nickel plated roundwounds. I don't think the brand matters much. If they're too dark for your taste then try a stainless set, if too bright then try a half-wound or "groundwound" set.

-Dave-

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome fellow X-170 owner. I'm basically an old school (Freddy King, Hollywood Fats) blues guy. As GAD said, strings are a personal preference. I use Daddario XJ .11-.49. This set has a plain 'g' string, but it intonates well with the set wooden bridge. Hope you find the right set for you.
Your gonna love that guitar!

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I'm with Quantum. D'Addario .11s work on everything. I bet they'd be great on your new guitar. For a little heavier, I piece together a set of .12s with slightly lighter bass strings than the stock set. That too works very well on archtops.
MD

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Another vote for 11 rounds, nice middle ground between bendability and fat sound. I like pure nickel strings myself, but nickel plated steel is the standard these days and just fine, if a little brighter and more agressive.

jiagap

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses.

I opted for Pure Blues 10-46. Not sure if I like them yet, will give them a few days, I may go up to 11s though I use 10's on my other guitars. The flat wounds that were on it were pretty thick; sounded nice, but I just can't play that thick of gauge, I need to bend. But these 10's may be a bit too thin for this guitar.

The floating bridge is an interesting challenge. How do you set that to get the intonation correct? Also, I now have a slight buzz in the low E on the higher frets. I may wait till I get settled on the strings then take it into a pro to have it set up proper.

She is a beauty, full of glory. Unique in my harem. Loving the neck PU tones.

What are your favorite amps to play it through?

trying to attach a couple pics....

IMG_7882.JPG

IMG_7881.JPG

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You need to upload your photos to a web host and THEN link them. We can't see links to shots ON your computer. I have a web server, but most use Photobucket of some other free or lost cost site.

CharleyRich

Reaction score
Guild Total
I use D'Addario XL pure nickels 11-48, round wounds and it produces a deep, rich sound...and you can still bend strings if you are so moved.

Last edited:

jiagap

Reaction score
I don't mind saying how frustrating this is to post something, but it can take up to 24 hours for it to actually post here.

Also, frustrating to not be able to post pics from your own computer.

Other than that, this forum seems to have some great people here. Thanks.

Below is another attempt at posting pics...

What amps do you all think works lovely with the X170?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...073988231.1073741916.507453230&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...073988231.1073741916.507453230&type=3&theater

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
As a new member your first few posts are monitored to make sure you're not a bot or some other nefarious creature...we've been hacked in the past...the mods are volunteers, this is a long holiday weekend...in the US...and life might get in their way...but rest easy, after the probation period, you'll join the rest of us and your posts will appear instantly.

As to the photos...the cost to host them on this small private site would be prohibitive...photobucket, and others, are free...all you have to do is sign up for one of their accts and then paste the appropriate link from your pics on their website to your post draft here.

And don't feel like you're being ignored if you don't get a quick response...see above 'holiday'...enjoy your day.

Mark 63

Reaction score
The floating bridge is an interesting challenge. How do you set that to get the intonation correct? Also, I now have a slight buzz in the low E on the higher frets. I may wait till I get settled on the strings then take it into a pro to have it set up proper.

IMG_7881.JPG

Setting intonation on a floating bridge without adjustable saddles is pretty simple. Just get the neck relief and string height where you want them, then loosen the strings and move the sides of the bridge forward or backward till the E strings octaves are right at the 12th fret. If the other strings are wildly off, you need to find a compromise that you cnan live with.
The buzzing string means you need to adjust the truss rod. Flatwounds have more mass and more tension, so now that you switched to lighter gauge round wound, the neck is either too flat or bending in the wrong direction. Loosen the truss rod half a turn and check it with a feeler gauge.

dbirchett

Reaction score
As far as an amp, you can't go wrong with a Fender tube amp. Many other amps will work as well. If you can find one, the Gretsch Executive made by Victoria is excellent. I used a G&L a lot with mine but now go more to the Gretsch and an older Deluxe Reverb. But I think that most amps will sound great with it. I assume that yours has the SD-1s and I doubt that you can find an amp that won't sound better with your guitar.

jiagap

Reaction score
As a new member your first few posts are monitored to make sure you're not a bot or some other nefarious creature...we've been hacked in the past...the mods are volunteers, this is a long holiday weekend...in the US...and life might get in their way...but rest easy, after the probation period, you'll join the rest of us and your posts will appear instantly.

As to the photos...the cost to host them on this small private site would be prohibitive...photobucket, and others, are free...all you have to do is sign up for one of their accts and then paste the appropriate link from your pics on their website to your post draft here.

And don't feel like you're being ignored if you don't get a quick response...see above 'holiday'...enjoy your day.

Thanks for the response here, it helps.

I do like this X170, very different from my G&L Strat Legacy for sure. Nice to have this much diversity.

I do have an AX8, so I have the option of over 200 amps. I have tried several fenders with sweet success. Curious what else might be a nice mix with the X-170

Thanks all

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the response here, it helps.

I do like this X170, very different from my G&L Strat Legacy for sure. Nice to have this much diversity.

I do have an AX8, so I have the option of over 200 amps. I have tried several fenders with sweet success. Curious what else might be a nice mix with the X-170

Thanks all

I have an Axe-FX II XL+. I think you may be the only other one here with a FA unit.

If your amp sims are the same as mine, try the ODS100.