Why so many cool Guilds in Japan

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I swear every time I come across some cool rare Guild in mint condition it's in Japan. Why?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've suspected it's related to the Japanese passion for all things of American pop culture, of which guitars, as a critical element of rock music, are one.
Suspect the whole thing was driven by savvy Japanese businessmen who recognized a coming trend and bought up everything they could starting back in the '80's, when used Levis could command $100.00 US on the Russian black market.
Remember that?
At the same time the Ventures were drawing full houses in reunion tours in Japan.
See what I mean?

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember the guitar shows in the late 80s and early 90s when the Japanese craze for American music culture memorabilia started. That's when the prices for vintage gear shot up astronomically. The Japanese and European buyers would rent tables at shows, but they would only buy and stash stuff at their tables. Many of the dealers told me that a lot of this gear went into corporate office museums of rock and roll culture for employees to enjoy. I wonder if they're slowly selling off these collections, and that's why we're starting to see it flow back into the open market again.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Buy them! It's a smooth process. I have bought 3 guilds from Japan and it's been a smooth transaction every time.
Yes, every one I've seen posted here that I looked at the link, seemed to be an actual music store, and I suspect they keep all their CITES documentation at the ready to just "fill in the blanks" any time they have to ship outside of country.
Prices? I think it just reflects the high cost of living in Japan itself.
I'd bet they don't really need the overseas market, but if somebody's willing to pay the price, well then, they'll honor the commitment.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I recently bought a Japanese made Fender Strat from a dealer in Japan. 1982, first year of production. It's a fairly rare variant made for the domestic market only and so not often seen in the west. No rosewood, thus no CITES issues. Took less time to arrive than many guitars I've ordered from US sellers. The price was fair…not a bargain but not high either.

-Dave-

refret

Reaction score
I guess it was about 15 years ago I had set up with Jay Pilzer at the Philly guitar show. I stayed after the show ended to help another guy pack up Jay's stuff because he had to get back home. With this, I had the opportunity to see the Japanese guys load up rather large shipping containers with cases.......looked like they bought anything that wasn't nailed down. I must say though, they did pay fairly well, I sold them a few back then that I wish I still had, a 1957 Martin 000-28, a 1970 D-50 that was one of the nicest Brazilian D-50s I've seen, and a fairly rare 1971 F-50R from the same time in Brazilian. Oh well, woulda, shoulda, coulda........