NGD - JF30 12 String

MLBob

Reaction score
Have been considering adding a 12 string on & off for some time now.
Wasn't really interested in getting serious about it unless I had the opportunity to have the guitar in hand and play it before pulling the trigger. I never came across any available Guilds in my area, and any other 12 string I ever came across really didn't really impress me.

A few weeks ago, while looking at a Craigslist link from another city that someone posted here on LTG, I decided to check the list here in Cincy, and the first thing that popped up was an ad for a Westerly JF-30 12 string ('92) in a beautiful wine burst. (LTG "enabling" does it again). Owner said he thought he bought it in '92, but as per usual the Guild serial # look-up isn't real precise, and perhaps the fact that it's a burst model might account for that. Serial# matches JF-30 run in '91 or '92, but not JF30 12. Haven't been able to get a look at any dating on the neck block (pickup in the way, but when I restring it I'll explore that a bit more).
Next day, I contacted the seller, and that afternoon took a ride over to his house to check out the guitar.

Other than checking of the nitro finish, everything was structurally sound, and the guitar had a great action. Owner had also equipped it with a Fishman soundhole pickup for stage use. Sat and played for quite a while...... but I must admit that it was probably that first strum that did me in. WOW! :topsy_turvy:

It didn't take long to understand what you guys are talking about when you describe your Guild 12-strings. I can also verify that the description of "Cannon" I see repeatedly used in describing the JF-30 is certainly apt.

Original owner / seller turned out to be a guy who is well regarded as a front-man on the Cincinnati music scene. It turned out we had a lot of friends in common.

Came back to pick it up the next day.

IMGP8845_zpsqnpdvcxz.jpg

IMGP8846_zpskrcszayv.jpg

IMGP8853_zpsehbmerrz.jpg

IMGP8847_zpsg4aqgq9n.jpg

IMGP8848_zpsn4yku3ud.jpg

IMGP8850_zpswsv5gdb8.jpg

Bob

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's an exquisite burst, drumbob. Congrats on the great addition.

The world of Guild 12-strings is deep and varied. Enjoy exploring it!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A beauty! Love the grain and the finish - wow!

walrus

wileypickett

Reaction score
A JF30 12-string was my "gateway drug" into the world of Guild, also discovered via a local Craigslist ad. Congrats. (Love the 'burst!)

crank

Reaction score
Beautiful burst! One of the nicest I've seen.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations! That's an awesome Guild burst on the beautiful JF-30 12-string! Enjoy my friend! :glee:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's just a gorgeous burst, MLBob! I would love to have a twelve string just like that one. Congrats and enjoy!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Does it sound like a piano? I only ask as I played and nearly bought a F212 once and it sounded like a piano. Just huge tone.

Congrats, that top is magnificent.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK Bob!!! Fantastic pick up! That wine burst is to die for. The burst on my JF30-12 is a more hard liquor type - whiskey-burst or something, lol. If yours is anything like mine, you're going to be immensely pleased. :applouse:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Absolutely Gorgeous Bob, Welcome to the Guild 12 String Club! I can say from over the years that there is no substitution for tone of a Guild Jumbo 12 string. May you enjoy it for years to come. Unfortunately you have now opened the gate and will have to resist the urge to buy more Guild 12 string models as you continue to fall in love with your JF30-12. Congrats!

TX

Telechamp

Reaction score
Beautiful! My bud scored an old ebony Guild 12-string off Ebay a while back at a great price. I love this 12-string.. It's the best playing 12-string acoustic I have ever played - the action is perfect.. I've forgotten the model now, but I'll have to ask him.

Here it is with his Taylor.

wa5VCMk.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Serial# matches JF-30 run in '91 or '92, but not JF30 12. Haven't been able to get a look at any dating on the neck block (pickup in the way, but when I restring it I'll explore that a bit more).
Many Congrats, Bob!
The first acoustic Guild I ever met was my best buddy's JF3012, he'd wanted a Guild 12-er ever since high school and bought it new in '88.
I wouldln't worry too much about the s/n "discrepancy" sounds like just another Westerly"oopsie".
I think Hans has explained before it that it could have happened at the stamping machine, since the necks were stamped before the labels were written ( I assume the headstock shows the "JF30" prefix instead of the "JF23" as well.
I think they just had trouble with getting the s/n's right on 12-ers, maybe because the originally conceived series turned out to be just too long under the new Gruhn model numbering system.
Take a look at the '87-'88 JF3012, s/n's: changed format twice between '87 an '90.
Then look at JF65R012 and JF65R, in '87 they used the same sequence.
And a '92 should have a heelblock date.
So, "Don't Worry, Be Happy".
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

MLBob

Reaction score
Al,

Hans has already e mailed me (figured he might) and ID'd that the serial # stamped on headstock & label place it at '91. As always, thanks for your input and expertise, Hans!

All - Thanks for the comments. Was off on family vacation last week so I've just been getting to know this guitar since getting back. Starting to find which songs in my OnSong library are a good fit for a 12 string. Our acoustic group had our weekly practice this afternoon and I used it when we did Get Together ; My Back Pages ; Your Song ; Poor Side of Town ; Stand By Me ; Knockin' On Heaven's Door, & Blowing In The Wind. I think I'm really going to like this guitar :cheerful:

Bob

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
Congrats MLbob! I love those reddish sunburst of that era - or wine bursts as you called them - my favourite bursts for sure. I have a blonde JF30-12, and the neck is pretty huge, is yours the same?

A JF30 12-string was my "gateway drug" into the world of Guild (Love the 'burst!)
Me too, my first Guild as well, many more have come after that. I am using mine as a 6 string or now & it sounds great in that mode as well.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Beautiful! My bud scored an old ebony Guild 12-string off Ebay a while back at a great price. I love this 12-string.. It's the best playing 12-string acoustic I have ever played - the action is perfect.. I've forgotten the model now, but I'll have to ask him.

Here it is with his Taylor.

wa5VCMk.jpg

Think that's actually a JF30-12 too, going by chesterfield, rosette, and arched back,and they did do a lot of color variants on those too.

MLBob

Reaction score
[QUOTE I have a blonde JF30-12, and the neck is pretty huge, is yours the same?[/QUOTE]

Certainly larger than I'm used to, but manageable. One of the reasons I'm experimenting with sound and "playability" as I select songs that will suit it (and me :wink:)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Certainly larger than I'm used to, but manageable. One of the reasons I'm experimenting with sound and "playability" as I select songs that will suit it (and me :wink:)

Every spec I ever saw for Guild 12-er necks was 1-13/16 nut, but they're a little deeper, too, I think, because of the dual rods.
I think they just wanted to get a little more wood around 'em.
My buddy's JF30-12 is the same, a little bigger than used to, but manageable.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, congrats Bob! She shore is purty! But I'm always a sucker for a nice 'burst.