Starfire II set up for speed metal

Mark 63

Reaction score
I've been looking at hollow bodies this summer and the local GC has a 1966 Starfire II for a good price. So I drove down there at opening time. Guitar looks beautiful and is in good condition, but some joker strung it with plinky skinny strings (probably 9s but felt like 8) and set the action super low. Consequently it sounds like crap.
That's all.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ahhh, but that can be fixed! A good set up and a set of 11's or 12's and you're Bob's uncle!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Pretty much every guitar I get hold of via the internets needs the "put on heavier strings, tweak the truss rod and raise the bridge" routine. At this point I also just remove everything that can be easily removed and give it all a good cleaning. Fix stripped screw holes (nearly all rear cavity covers and Fender-style pickguards have at least one), de-scratch dirty pots, put some shine on crusty frets, etc.

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Some of us like lighter strings.

That's all.

Mark 63

Reaction score
No, didn't buy it but haven't ruled it out either. I have a few other Guild hollow bodies to look at this week. I'm thinking a deeper body. Really just wanted to vent, but I'm less crabby today.