WooHoo!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just made plans - going to see the eclipse!

Anyone else in or planning to be in the path of totality?

My last eclipse was 1995, but it was annular, not total:

scope.jpg

Full-600.jpg

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hope to head to a friends ranch in the eclipse path in Oregon... we tried Hawaii for the total in July '91, but clouded out in the last 5 minutes.

matsickma

Reaction score
Looks like I'll plan a trip to see my son in Jacksonville and hold up in SC for the eclipse. The only solar eclipse I had a birdseye view of was July 10, 1972. I was working as a contractor in a Texaco oil refinery in Westville, NJ right on the other side if the Walt Whitman bridge in Philadelphia. I was on the top of a newly constructed gasoline storage tank welding the lid onto an access hatch to the inlet pipe and diffuser assembly.
It was late afternoon and the darkness encroached, the wind picked up and the temperature dropped as twilight approached. Since I was wearing my welding hood I stopped what I was doing and just laid back and watched the show.
For this one I'll probably bring a telescope and the old welding hoods. Hopefully my son can drive north and meet me to watch at an optimum location.
M

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I'll be in the Portland (Oregon) area visiting a friend. She's got a spot in the totality zone that we'll hang out in. Now the weather just needs to co-operate!

My first eclipse was in 1972. Saw it from the Georgian Bay area in Canada. It didn't reach totality there but at least the sky was fairly clear.

-Dave-

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Unfortunately, I'm taking the family to visit more family in D.C., but there's a chance we may be back in time to check out the eclipse.

FYI for all visitors, the optimal viewing path crosses through the desert-high plains area, southeast of Portland and east of the Cascades towards Bend. This is great viewing, since there is little light pollution. There is eclipse fever going on here, and the motels, campground areas, and ranch houses are booked solid across the path, so be sure to do your homework to find a safe and legal place to camp and view the eclipse. It should be fun, and I hope we make it back in time as well!

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Checked the availability of hotels rooms in Madras, OR, and they're going fast. Let's watch the hype build over the next two months as the state is expecting over a million visitors for the event. Yee-haw! :cheerful:

Where oh where to set up.....hmmmm.....

Joe