One song that transformed your life.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I don't know that this song really transformed my life but it did help me to realize that the "me first" attitude I was carrying around with me needed to change. I sang and played this at my best friends funeral many years ago. It was pretty tough to get through but the song has always had a special meaning for me. Hopefully, I copied and pasted it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rJXqij6UMU

griehund

Reaction score
First song "I'll remember April" and every other on this album side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02KZDtN2IIg

Loads of jazz in my house when I was real little. This album got played alot, along with loads of Count Basie. It got me then, always has.
MD

When I was growing up in the 50s my oldest brother was going to BU school of music and we were introduced to Garner and Basie and Ellington and Gillespie and Dorsey and I could go on and on. When he graduated from high school my brother was given the choice to go into agriculture or music. He chose music.

griehund

Reaction score
I don't know that this song really transformed my life but it did help me to realize that the "me first" attitude I was carrying around with me needed to change. I sang and played this at my best friends funeral many years ago. It was pretty tough to get through but the song has always had a special meaning for me. Hopefully, I copied and pasted it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rJXqij6UMU

Always loved this one. It's an every day reminder that we were not put on this earth for the benefit of ourselves.

griehund

Reaction score
There have been many but this one hit me between the eyes early on, and still resonates today. :cheerful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nbqqoRx3r8

No complaints,
Joe

Tuesday I was sitting at the country club with a rather inebriated friend and we were matching old songs on our phones. He played one of his favorites and I neglected to get the title but one line said something like being alone or living by yourself is a waist of time. It took me back again to just how fortunate I am.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am trying to think about the topic. There were certainly songs that got me going in different directions, but nothing I can list as transformational. Certain songs still stick with me. I know which ones made me want to learn to play. I know which ones I will always think about my mom, when I hear. Just nothing as deep as the topic.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Vince Guaraldi Cast your fate to the wind, a piece I covered on keys LONG, LONG ago....

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I am trying to think about the topic. There were certainly songs that got me going in different directions, but nothing I can list as transformational. Certain songs still stick with me. I know which ones made me want to learn to play. I know which ones I will always think about my mom, when I hear. Just nothing as deep as the topic.

Well said, John. This is how I feel, too.

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"My Generation" off Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy, The Who. I was 13.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dark Side of the Moon. The whole thing. I can still remember how it moved me back in 1973 when I first heard it. And it still does today.

griehund

Reaction score
Oh boy, They say you're only as old as you feel. Today I feel old. :confused:

tommym

Reaction score
Rocky Mountain High....

It shifted my focus from my local island music / culture to a more worldly view. It's the first time I ever really studied the printed lyrics to a song as a form of art in and of itself.

Tommy

dougdnh

Reaction score
I was 10 in 1955 - i wasn't really into music yet, even though my dad was a jazz guitarist. My knowledge of music ran to Davey Crockett, How Much is that Doggy, etc. My 17 year old cousin put an interesting looking 78 on his hi-fi for me to hear - Bo Diddley. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, it was like something from Mars. From that moment on i knew there was music out there that was unlike anything I was used to. A few months later some guy named Elvis was on tv, and the world changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jrIK7YB0tE

Last edited:

refret

Reaction score
April, 1970. One of our little crew of space cadets lost control of his mother's car, slammed into a tree and was killed instantly. We grew up together, only 3 weeks apart in age. The rest of us went to Long sands at York beach Maine and I strummed "Let it be" on my D-35 while we all teared up. I will never forget it. "And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light that shines on me, shine until tomorrow, let it be".