What is your favorite guitar solo?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite. Of course, I have gazillions of faves from all genres and eras of music, but the one that always stands out to me is James Honeyman Scott's solo on The Pretender's "Kid." To me, it's the perfectly brief, tasteful, and musical pop solo that's so well-suited to the song. :nevreness:

Ah, "tasteful and brief and well-suited to the song" - George Harrison's solo on "Something".

And many other Harrison solos...

walrus

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
I will weigh in with "Late Winter, Early Spring" from the Rocky Mountain High album. John Denver was playing a finger picking rhythm in the key of C to go along with the rest of the Season Suite on the B side of the album, and left the tape with Mike Taylor, his lead guitar player at the time. The next morning Taylor had come up with this beauty. They put it on the record, but Denver and Taylor never played it live. Pete Huttlinger finally persuaded Taylor to perform it live at a John Denver tribute show a few years ago.

You can find the tune on youtube, but this is even better - the actual score with both parts written out. Enjoy

http://www.petehuttlinger.com/pdf/Late_Winter_Score.pdf

CK

As for just picking one I do not believe I could ever do that - there are just too many great pieces of music and I have only heard a small amount of it (in the grand scheme of things anyway).
I can agree with Cypress on the Late Winter,Early Spring track. I taught myself the rhythm section but never mastered the lead. There is also a very short but repeated section on Restless Heart's Hummingbird that qualifies as one of those "turn up the volume" songs (at least when I am in my truck!).

VEER - - - - Gad - how did you get a cassette deck in the 280-Z?? Aftermarket??? Mine was equipped with an 8-track from the factory.......

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Man, I love that album. Must have played it on repeat 1000 times in the cassette deck of my 280-Z. :)

The first time I heard it I was in my Brother's 69 El Camino headed to the Beach in Galveston to do some Boogie Boarding on a School day. He is 7 years older than me and got me out from School early with my Mom's permission for a beach day. Eventually I asked him to play the tape so much he just gave it to me so I would quit bugging him to play it every time we were in his car. I actually wore that tape out to the point where it would only play on occasion if you popped into the tape deck just right, LOL!

TX

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
Hard to beat SRV . Some of his stuff is way out but man watching him play is awesome . Never got to see him live , wish I had .

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Man, that one ( John Denver " late Winter, Early Spring " ) brought back memories. I didn't think it was solo as much as the SONG, to be honest. I've played the chords on that song for years. I always wondered how hard it would be to play the cool part. :)

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
Man, that one ( John Denver " late Winter, Early Spring " ) brought back memories. I didn't think it was solo as much as the SONG, to be honest. I've played the chords on that song for years. I always wondered how hard it would be to play the cool part. :)

I have not learned the lead part, but it is technically not very difficult. For me, the hard part is getting the timing down and memorizing the melody. The only technical trick on this tune is to stay "inside" the strings when picking the sections with a long series of hammer ons. By that I mean when the notes go like this

---------8------8------8--or ----5-----5-----5---
--8h10---8h10--8h10 ------5h7--5h7--5h7-----

the flatpick should be played in between the two strings with up-down up-down up-down and never crosses over a string. If you played the traditional down-up down-up down-up style your pick would be "outside" the strings and crossing over them between notes.

CK

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Real bass players don't have hair.
At least that's what some of us tell our delusional selves :)

And some of 'em who're burdened with the stuff dispense with other non-essential adornments instead.
Red-hot-chili-peppers.jpg

No muffin top worries there.

bobouz

Reaction score
How do I UNSEE that ?

Ditto!

But aside from that, here's just a few that pop to mind:

> Django - Limehouse Blues (fast version)
> Freddie King - I'm Tore Down
> Michael Bloomfield - Don't Think About It Baby
> Mike Campbell w/Petty - Runnin' Down A Dream

Last edited: