What is your favorite guitar solo?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I know I mentioned it in my previous post but I had to post the youtube link. Pretty much the entire song is one of my Favorite all time solos. Here is Joe Satriani "Always With Me, Always With You" from the album "Surfing with the Alien". Ah what it was like to come of age in the 80's.:wink:

TX

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Probably one of my favorite solos, this. I don't think this is a particularly inspired Big Joe Turner cover, but Scotty Moore was on fire that day. Solo's so nice they put it in twice.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I couldn't possibly pick just one.
"Pali Gap" from Rainbow Bridge
"Goin' South" from Radio One
"Gold and Silver" "Pride of Man" and "The Fool" from Quicksilver Messenger Service
"Beck's Bolero" from Truth
"Rice Pudding" from Beckola
"Spare Chaynge" from After Bathing at Baxter's
"Au dela du Delire" Au Dela du Delire (Ange, ask Pascal)
"Bengali Bud" Flat Planet (Fareed Haque)
"Matador" Matador by Grant Green
"Space" the Sorcerer by Gabor Szabo
"Mr. Soul" Buffalo Springfield Again
"Aqualung" Aqualung
"Astronomy Domine" Ummagumma
"Can't You Hear me Knockin" Sticky Fingers
"Deserted Cities of the Heart" Wheels of Fire
"Shapes of Things" (Yardbirds single)
"I Can't Keep From Cryin' Sometimes"- Ten Years After on the First Great Rock Festivals of the "70's
"I Can See For Miles" The Who Sell Out
"Soul Sacrifice" Santana at Woodstock
"Lady Coryell" Lady Coryell (Larry Coryell)
"Look At You Look At Me" Alone Together (Dave Mason)
"Hurdy Gurdy Man" both the Donovan and the Steve Hillage versions
Any middle eight from George Harrison between 1965 and 1970.
OK I'm outta time...and yeah "25 or 6 to 4" 'd make the list too.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
Either solo in Another Girl, Another Planet by the The Only Ones and Captain Sensible's solo on Under the Floor Again by The Damned.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Albert Lee on Dave Edmunds' "Sweet Little Lisa":

There's video of Albert Lee recording this in the studio. Watch Dave Edmunds' jaw drop, and look for Nick Lowe, Phil Lynott, Huey Lewis and others (Billy Bremner?) in the studio. (YouTube won't allow embedding this one.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Rx-zaBjow

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ok, I'll bite. Of course, I have gazillions of faves from all genres and eras of music, but the one that always stands out to me is James Honeyman Scott's solo on The Pretender's "Kid." To me, it's the perfectly brief, tasteful, and musical pop solo that's so well-suited to the song. :nevreness:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess we could also consider Johnny Mars wizard guitar tidal wave on that famous Smith's song. I forget the name, "I am the sun and the air, etc..." brilliant wall of guitar sound.

Ah yeah, How soon is now: https://youtu.be/nX8ZAXFpoJY

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know I mentioned it in my previous post but I had to post the youtube link. Pretty much the entire song is one of my Favorite all time solos. Here is Joe Satriani "Always With Me, Always With You" from the album "Surfing with the Alien". Ah what it was like to come of age in the 80's.:wink:

TX

Man, I love that album. Must have played it on repeat 1000 times in the cassette deck of my 280-Z. :)

strummer

Reaction score
+1 on "Kid".The song,arrangement,performance,most notably the solo all great.I would add the double guitar solo from "And Your Bird Can Sing"from Revolver.Perfection.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
i tried Chris but did not hear Fronobulax?

In that recording Fronobulax is the name of the planet that is the home of The Giant Poodle. Other renditions call the poodle Fronobulax. It can easily be claimed that Frunobulax is a better spelling of what is actually said but we all know the problems of using words to capture sounds, right? :)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll play! How about John McLaughlin's soaring classical guitar solo on James Taylor's "Someone"? Solo start starts just past the 2:00 mark.

JT's must underrated album, too.

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
I will weigh in with "Late Winter, Early Spring" from the Rocky Mountain High album. John Denver was playing a finger picking rhythm in the key of C to go along with the rest of the Season Suite on the B side of the album, and left the tape with Mike Taylor, his lead guitar player at the time. The next morning Taylor had come up with this beauty. They put it on the record, but Denver and Taylor never played it live. Pete Huttlinger finally persuaded Taylor to perform it live at a John Denver tribute show a few years ago.

You can find the tune on youtube, but this is even better - the actual score with both parts written out. Enjoy

http://www.petehuttlinger.com/pdf/Late_Winter_Score.pdf

CK