NGD... sort of..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Great thread guys! And cool guitar D30Man! Combining two important forces in my life (leisure life, anyway) -- comics (when I was young) and guitars (for the last 8 years or so). DD was my favorite super hero. In my book Gene Colan was the definitive DD artist. My best friend preferred Spidey. We'd argue all the time who was cooler. My favorite Spidey artist was Gil Kane. I developed an appreciation for him at DC doing the Atom and Green Lantern.

Yes Kane was a great, he was another one of those "acquired tastes" for me, like Ditko.
His first work at Marvel was actually in late '66-'67, a run of Hulk in Tales to Astonish, leading up to the very first appearance of the Abomination:
latest

091a.jpg

For some reason when Colan came to Marvel he used the name Adam Austin to pencil the Submariner's return with his own strip in Astonish:
174cdac77432fc585248cebf72d1fb63.jpg

As was so common at the time, Kirby did the cover even though others did the interior art:
674089.jpg

There was a difference between buying the new releases and collecting back issues.
With the back issues, one usually knew who the artist was going to be and was only occasionally surprised.
But with new releases there was always the sense of anticipation.
Comics were everywhere in the '60's.
They were a fact of life like cheap toys and all to often just tossed after a few reads.
Every grocery store, drug store, and the new breed of "convenience stores" had a comic rack.
I got to know when to expect the new deliveries every week, and the managers got to know me and let me open up the just-delivered bundles and I'd select the best printed samples before they hit the rack and got all dog-eared.
Imagine the thrill of seeing your favorite characters get their own full-length book when they expanded the "dual headliner" titles in '68:
latest

Or this rare one-shot while continuity place holder while Hulk and Captain America got launched a month before Subby and Iron Man:
672723.jpg

(Colan inked by Everett)

Or seeing a brand new artist show up out of nowhere:
detail.jpg

The first time I saw that cover I thought it was Kirby, but the interior art was the same and the credits said "Barry Smith".
Who went on to really develop a personalized style and shepherded the introduction of another legendary Marvel series:
669129.jpg

By the same token it was when the bad surprises started outweighing the good ones that I finally decided to stop buying in late '70.
At the same time I'd also had the insight that I was great "copier" but that original graphic ideas didn't come to me unbidden like music ideas did.
So I decided I should concentrate on the medium where the ideas came most readily, even though the work of developing a skill set was a lot harder.
But I never renounced my love for the comic art form.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Them git pics are gone - thx photobucket - does anybody have them? After wading through this thread it would actually be nice to see what the fuss was all about .

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Them git pics are gone - thx photobucket - does anybody have them? After wading through this thread it would actually be nice to see what the fuss was all about .

Are you looking for the pictures of the S300 that I posted back in June? I have since sold the guitar and I regret it every day I have been without it. If those are picts you are looking for I can try to find them and re-post them.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Are you looking for the pictures of the S300 that I posted back in June? I have since sold the guitar and I regret it every day I have been without it. If those are picts you are looking for I can try to find them and re-post them.

Devilcaster

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Devilcaster

Yes I should have looked back through the thread. I will re-post these photos. Note since these photos I swapped the pickguard out for a fully loaded white 1991 US pickguard that sounds amazing.

hhiKOgQ.jpg

oHI9DQo.jpg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
And I have sweapped the neck out with a maple mighty mite neck. It has really come into its own and is a phenomenal strat. It is pretty much my electric go to. Better yet I need to post some updated pictures.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Here are some updated photos. Not sure whether or not I like the look of the rosewood better, but this neck certainly feels a lot better as well as the fender tuners on there and these American pick ups are a major improvement over the Duncan Designed. Not that those were bad by any means. Also don't let the neck plate fool you. That is the only thing squier on this bad boy.

t9xmH7k.jpg

Qm0YtHa.jpg

1gxWnbg.jpg

gHoWACA.jpg

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

That looks cool - though I never was fan of Marvel - but the idea is splendid. Thank you so much for having all the trouble of reposting and takin those new pictures. Well worth wading through the thread.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

That looks cool - though I never was fan of Marvel - but the idea is splendid. Thank you so much for having all the trouble of reposting and takin those new pictures. Well worth wading through the thread.

Not a problem in the least Nuuska. Glad you like it. It was fun and easy. And like I said, this is my favorite electric. I play it almost daily. It is a mutt of a guitar with a 1989 Japanese fender body, USA 1991 Fender pickguard / pickups / electronics and a recent mighty mite neck with fender tuners. The squier neck plate, bridge etc. were parts I had laying around. It is set up perfectly and man does it spank. Just a ton of fun to play. I run it through an MXR dyna comp pedal, cheap delay pedal and a USA made Crate Palomino V32 Class A tube amp. I use the amp's overdrive and it does the job.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Now we all just have to wait for RAYK to write : "Le.. .... .. " :congratulatory:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Reviving necro-thread...didn't realize Nuuska had actually brought it up in January either, don't know how I missed that...
Anyway, came across this while out searching for images today, and remembered somebody once used the "I Am Groot" phrase in a thread I was participating in.
It got by me at the time because I hadn't seen Guardians of the Galaxyyet, but I thought it might have been this one because D30man mentions it in here.
Anyway, here's where that phrase originally came from:
ComicCover2.jpg

:emmersed:

BTW D30, that headstock looks a little bare, needs sumthin'.
I like that "Devilcaster" somebody mentioned.
:friendly_wink:
Whooopsie, I missed that you sold it until just now...you need to buy it back so you can finish it.
:glee:

Last edited: