NGD... sort of..

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay so I have had this idea for a while and finally did with an old MIJ Strat body I had laying around. Fortunately such a piece does not require perfection nor much if any talent other than imagination. I present to you my Devilcaster!!! These are the elements used to assemble:

- Elbow grease sanding off the old dull paint job on the body
- Spray primer
- 25% of two Daredevil Graphic Novels ( mostly Frank Miller but threw a nice Jack Kirby shot on the arm rest )
- 3/4 container of Modge Podge ( basically watered down sniffing glue )
- Modge Podge sealer / finisher spray
- Duncan Designed loaded pickguard - I know not real SD's but they sound pretty damn good to my ears - after all it is a partscaster
- Sweet DareDevil decal purchased at Dallas Comiccon
- Body / Hardware from a 1989 Fender MIJ Strat
- VM Squier neck ( I have a new condition MIM Maple FB neck on the way from Reverb that will replace although this one is growing on me )
- EB Slinky 10's

All in about $300 in supplies / parts including just purchased in bound MIM neck. Not bad for a Marvel themed partscaster.
I took an allen wrench to her and she feels and sounds great.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations! Sweet looking Strat!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome Job D30man! That is a good looking Strat. I would be scared to take it to any Comiccon for fear of being beat up by a group of people dressed in costumes that want to steal it. LOL! Like Davisman mentioned, I want to see the back as well.

TX

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Oooh, that's cool!

(I recently picked up an '83 "Squier by Fender" MIJ SQ-series Tele. Way impressed! Plays & sounds terrific.)

-Dave-

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's just super cool if you ask me!! Great job!! :encouragement::encouragement:

Can we see a shot of the back?

Thanks Tom! When I get back to TX from DC I will get some shots of the back and share. I should have done that to begin with. It is super fun to play.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome Job D30man! That is a good looking Strat. I would be scared to take it to any Comiccon for fear of being beat up by a group of people dressed in costumes that want to steal it. LOL! Like Davisman mentioned, I want to see the back as well.

TX

Thanks TX. Yeah this baby is reserved for jam sessions, show and tells and maybe a couple of gigs. I am pleased overall with how well it plays. Sometimes when you bring random parts together for a partscaster you find your self doing quite a bit of fine tuning, pushing, pulling and all around cajoling. This thing came together nicely which is good bc my luthier skills would most certainly not pay the bills. It is a treat. I have a late 90's black squier standard that my kids have cast aside for shredder guitars. It weighs a million lbs. and has a maple neck that weighs half a million. I got it for $40 at a pawn shop because it wouldn't play until I invested 5 minutes of solder time to it. It is one of the nicest squiers I have seen.

I may see a punisher or a batman emerge from that one.. I will get some shots of the back when I got back. Wish I hadn't left those out bc there are some cool kingpin shots on the back. Kingpin is my favorite villian.. Yes... I am a nerd...

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Oooh, that's cool!

(I recently picked up an '83 "Squier by Fender" MIJ SQ-series Tele. Way impressed! Plays & sounds terrific.)

-Dave-

Yeah Dave. I myself have had lots of luck with Squiers and the early ones seem to be right up there. I have owned many a US & MIM Tele and Strat. The early Squiers, Classic Vibes and the Vintage Modified models do not disappoint. It is always nice to own US made and I am about to take possession of a 2000 USA Fat Strat with an SD Bucker seafoam metallic green. However, I have to say it is more impressive to me when the guitar that costs less than a 1/3 of your US guitar sounds almost as good. My classic vibe 60's is hands down the best Strat I have owned to date. I know it is subjective and totally up to the individual, but it just the right feel for me. I know a guy who has all of the money in the world and will only play MIM maple necks. He will buy a $1500+ elite or pro series fender and pop an MIM neck on there..

My MIM Ash tele was the best Tele I have ever played. Someone asked on a forum one time what the difference was between an MIM and a US Made these days and someone responded "well other than a few hardware differences, you can buy one that was made by hardworking Mexicans in California or one that was made 200 miles down the road by hardworking Mexicans in Mexico. If you think they aren't sharing parts, supplies, resources, etc. I believe I have a bridge I would like to sell you. It would be counter-intuitive from a business perspective for FMIC not to. Aaaaaanyhow, I always seem to digress.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Turned out great! Any chance I can borrow it for Comic Con...?

DSC02444-L.jpg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, Neal. She is fun. I am in DC right now on business and I cannot wait to get home to her. And the wife of course.. And the kiddos.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
- 25% of two Daredevil Graphic Novels ( mostly Frank Miller but threw a nice Jack Kirby shot on the arm rest 0
Wow how'd I miss this? Sweet!
But I think the one you're referring to is by Gene Colan, not Kirby.
But that coulda just been an "oopsie".
One tell: Kirby virtually always depicted hands in fists or splayed-finger in splash shots in the silver age, but Colan'd do "karate chop" hands, also the shape of the Daredevil's thumb and eyeslits and Spiderman's boot are pure Colan.
Kirby's fingers and boots are always squared off.
It's awfully familiar but I can't pin down where it came from, actually looks like it came from one of the Daredevil vs Spiderman issues, looks like Romita inking on a Colan pencil.
Colan had a l-o-o-o-ong run on Daredevil in the mid '60's- early '70's, was actually one of Marvel's top tier, handling Iron Man for about the same length of time and Submariner before getting Daredevil.
Romita had Daredevil for a short time before getting Spiderman when Ditko quit.
Here's a coupla Kirby Daredevils for ya, but he never did interiors for DD in the '60's, only covers.
(inking by Sinnott on both of these, but you can tell the difference in Kirby's shoulder and arm treatment, and the way he doesn't use black-out chiaroscuro the way Colan and Romita did

daredevil+%252343+captain+america.jpg

latest

I am delighted you didn't destroy any real collector's items to construct that decoupage, though.
And Frank Miller's no slouch neither.
My first Marvel comic:
675595.jpg

Within a year I was collecting every single title and buying back issues back to about '64-'65.
And yeah, Kirby ruled, but Steranko was in a league of his own, and it took me a couple of years to really appreciate guys like Ditko, Colan, and Buscema.
My favorite characters for quite a were actually Submariner and Doctor Strange, even though they didn't always have my favorite artists.

Speaking of Dr. Strange (and Spiderman), Ditko.
Not until only a couple of years ago did I finally grasp the sheer genius of Ditko's visual metaphor in this page from September '64:
ditko-strangetales126-clea.jpg

Ok I know the text is a little blurred when blown up, but as he's being sucked into something that's shaped like a sheet of paper (get it?), he's saying:
"I'm being drawn down into this 2-dimensional object--as if some sort of life exists below it!!"

Yeah, it's a comic book, duh..... :glee:

Do they make 'em like that anymore?

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Al - I love you... You are spot on that shot is from a DD / Spidey book. Very Kirby-esque indeed. The non-splayed fingers should have been a dead giveaway considering the stance. He was bound and determined to show all 5 fingers on each hand. Still one of my faves. I have gone around for the last 10 years telling people how JK is every bit as responsible as Mr. Lee for the evolution of the graphic page and I completely whiff this one... Sorry Jack!!

Yeah aside from Miller, Romita Jr series DD is my favorite. Although I think you are referring to his pop. Steranko ( and if you don't believe him just ask him ) was definitely in a league all his own. I have some old Cap / Hydra books that he illustrated and his style is unmistakable. I also love his approach to Nick Fury.

Dave Mazzachelli is responsible for most of the illustrations on the Strat. He captures Kingpin in a way that I think other haven't. A little bot of Pshycho sprinkled with a little bit of "Damn it feels good to be a gangsta".

I am a real secondary character kind of fan. DD, Punisher, Fury, Black Widow, etc. make up my Marvel favorites.

I got into comics late in life. Early thirties. I dug in though. It sounds like we need to head up a comics forum Al. You can be the Hans Moust of the forum. Clearly you are more than qualified.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Alright here is a shot of the back. I clearly need to pop a bigger trem block in there :) I also added some chrome knobs I pulled off of an old Backstage 30 Peavey Amp. I thing they are kind of snappy looking after a little goo-b-gone treatment.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I'd do my usual "wedge a stack o' quarters between the vib block and the bottom lip of the vib rout" and call it done. ;) Dig the knobs!

-Dave-

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Love love love it! Although I am a Spiderman guy myself, I love all the early Marvel comics - that guitar rocks!

Excelsior!

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There's a guy here in Vegas that owns like FOUR comic stores and he's such a great guy and he's a Comic Con here in Vegas this weekend. I sent him a photo of this guitar. Hope you don't mind. He's gonna love it!! SUCH a cool theme for a guitar!! :encouragement: