Late 60s Hagstron Concord pickups compared to Bisonics?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good question, for which I have nothing but opinion.

We know that some of the early Starfires had a non-Bisonic pickup. I don't know that it was the same as the one under discussion but Guild was definitely using Hagstrom as a supplier and the time frame makes it possible. So experience with an early Starfire might hold a clue.

There was a later ('70') Hagstrom, also used by Guild, primarily as the bridge pickup on two pickup basses with a Bisonic at the neck, and I have heard those. No comparison.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Good question, for which I have nothing but opinion.

We know that some of the early Starfires had a non-Bisonic pickup. I don't know that it was the same as the one under discussion but Guild was definitely using Hagstrom as a supplier and the time frame makes it possible. So experience with an early Starfire might hold a clue.

There was a later ('70') Hagstrom, also used by Guild, primarily as the bridge pickup on two pickup basses with a Bisonic at the neck, and I have heard those. No comparison.

The single coil (non Bisonic) under discussion was also used by Guild very breifly on the Starfire bass around 1966. like this:

UM58Q7.png

the "later (70) Hagstrom also used by Guild" was/is a bridge pickup indeed, but it is a (mini) humbucker, and is also found on Hagstrom basses.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In the late 60s Hagström made a Starfire-like base called both the Viking and the Concord.
They used a single-coil pickup in these, but not a bisonic.
Has anyone ever compared these to a bisonic? Any comments?

Pics here:
http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/hagstrom/bass/1967_Concord.php

i listened to the sound clips in this link, and in my opinion this Hagstrom single-coil bass pick up sounds similar to a Bisonic, to my ears. I have seen the pick up before, as I posted in post #3, but never heard one until now. great thread, thank you!

wisconsindead

Reaction score
i listened to the sound clips in this link, and in my opinion this Hagstrom single-coil bass pick up sounds similar to a Bisonic, to my ears. I have seen the pick up before, as I posted in post #3, but never heard one until now. great thread, thank you!

Agreed.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
ASIDE: (I know we're talking primarily about the pups here) the Hagstrom Concord (from what I've read) appears to have had a significant design flaw: inadequate top bracing. Tops sinking from downward string pressure on the bridge seems to be a common ailment on these.

Yggdrasil

Reaction score
Well, I went and checked out a 1968 Concord Deluxe,strung with d'Addario flats,played through an early 60s B15.

It was a good looking & sounding bass but didn't have that thick edgy bisonic tone. My 67 Starfire is strung with TI Jazz Flats, but I have d'Addarios on my Lakland HB30 and on my budget Eastwood Classic 4. All 3 of my current basses were dramatically more pleasing to my (admittedly Casady-conditioned) ears. So the Hagström failed the Yggdrasil test, but some might prefer it.

And thanks Minnesota Flats - I inspected the bridge region and there was a definite sunken area surrounding the bridge. That alone would have been a dealbreaker.

Oh well, curiosity satisfied - but the Hagström and the Starfire, despite their obvious sibling characteristics, are 2 totally different basses.(which is why I seldom give weight to sound samples on a computer! :) ).

I did once have a Hagström solid-body Coronado IV with bisonics - that was more in my direction, but didn't quite approach the tone of a 60s Starfire, IMO.

It's curious that at the time Hagström was selling bisonics to Guild, that they were no longer using them on their own basses.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Guitar sidebar:

I seem to recall that during the late '60s Gibson used up a bunch of Epiphone mini-humbuckers (which they had acquired when they purchased that company in 1957 or so) in their Les Paul guitars. They had a bunch of LP bodies already routed for P-90s, but everybody wanted humbuckers at that time, so Gibson modified the P-90 covers and used them as surrounds for the mini humbuckers and didn't have to change the LP P-90 pup routes. At least, that's the story I heard. To this day, P-90s are pretty much a direct swap into an LP Deluxe (no routing required). That much I know for a fact, because I've done it.

Maybe the Hagstrom decision to use a different kind of bass pup was a per-unit cost-cutting measure so they sold off their remaining inventory of Bi-Sonics. Were they struggling financially at that time?

Waste not, want not...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I did once have a Hagström solid-body Coronado IV with bisonics - that was more in my direction, but didn't quite approach the tone of a 60s Starfire, IMO.

I have convinced myself that some of the differences in tone between my Starfires and my solid body Betts Bass with a Novack BSDS is the difference between semi-hollow and solid bodies so I concur with your opinion/experience :)