Good price for NH D-55?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's a good price for a NH D-55 in excellent condition?

Thanks

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No idea, GAD. Those are damn sweet, though. New Hartford took on the D-55 as their first Guild model. Every one of those was made to be the world's best example of the breed. These were the first NH guitars to be shown at January NAMM, 2009 amidst all the Tacoma builds.

Very special guitars. Good luck.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
55 bazillion dollars. :cheerful: Oh you wanted to know a good price, not what they are worth. LOL! Honestly GAD I see them selling for between $1600-$2500 and sometimes higher if they are NOS still at a dealer. People grab them pretty quick. I think there is one on Ebay or Reverb right now in Natural finish for around $2000-$2100 in Like New Condition. Are you getting the itch for one?

TX

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Was looking at this one myself - wondering what the deal is on the lower part of the bridge.
Someone tried a little automotive wax on it for some reason?
Also - NH Guilds did not have serial #s on back of headstock?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232372657942?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
s-l1600.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
NH Guilds did not have serial numbers branded into the headstock. Neither did Tacoma... The practice stopped after Corona.

That could be wax build up on the bridge. Or it could be moldy. Would like an explanation for that, agreed.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The bridge looks to me like someone used a silicone based wax or polish on the top of the guitar and also got it on the bridge as well. That is going to be a Pain in the A$$ to get out of the grain of the bridge if it is even possible to do. If it were up to me the inside top of the case should have some kind of disclaimer on it about using silicone based polishes or wax on a Nitro finished guitar to keep folks from doing this.

TX

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
New Hartford took on the D-55 as their first Guild model. Every one of those was made to be the world's best example of the breed. These were the first NH guitars to be shown at January NAMM, 2009 amidst all the Tacoma builds.

Interesting story Chaz, I had no idea that was NH's first model to tackle. Very ambitious. considering CMG started with the 20 series. and satin finish to boot. that explains a lot right there. though to be fair to CMG, their first attempts at the D55 looks fantastic! And I get that Ren wanted to use the 20 series, aka D25 flatback as a good place to train employees on. totally get it. I just think New Hartford really went all out, fearless.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting story Chaz, I had no idea that was NH's first model to tackle. Very ambitious. considering CMG started with the 20 series. and satin finish to boot. that explains a lot right there. though to be fair to CMG, their first attempts at the D55 looks fantastic! And I get that Ren wanted to use the 20 series, aka D25 flatback as a good place to train employees on. totally get it. I just think New Hartford really went all out, fearless.

In 2008, New Hartford was essentially competing with Tacoma to get the Guild business. NH had seen the handwriting on the wall for Ovation (going to China) and they were looking for Guild to provide work for the shop. They proved their mettle to Fender and that's what happened.

Huge difference between NH and Oxnard, wood... NH had many years of guitar building and workmanship right from the git go when Guild came in there. Oxnard is a clean slate.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Huge difference between NH and Oxnard, wood... NH had many years of guitar building and workmanship right from the git go when Guild came in there. Oxnard is a clean slate.
So was Corona.
And Oxnard started with M20's, just like Westerly in '67.
Where they also had a bunch of "rookie builders"....

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Are you getting the itch for one?

TX

As a hardcore Guild electric guy, the D-55 is the only acoustic I've lusted after. I've had three acoustics from Guild: A Westerly M-20 and two Westerly JF65-12s, all of which were fantastic, but the D-55 is just *it* in the looks department, and as much as I love my Taylor, making recordings of Guild acoustic amps with a Taylor just seems wrong.

Neal

Reaction score
For a while, I owned a NH D-55 prototype from October of 2008. Fine guitar. But I am fickle, and sold it in favor of my F-47R (which I just sold to my musical partner in favor of my Tacoma F-50-R).

Last edited:

jazzmang

Reaction score
Ah, yes I remember playing that prototype at LMG I! Was a cool piece, for sure!

Reaction score
New to forum and was directed here because of sudden interest in a D55 Sunburst. I have a D50 I got in the 70's and love it's sound and playability but I'm lusting for a sunburst. The 55 looks to fill the bill nicely. Any recommendations on whether to buy new or used and, if used, what vintage and where do I find one? The new ones are very pricey and appear somewhat scarce as the big outlets don't have any stock at this time.
I've owned a Martin and a few Gibsons and liked some of the Gibsons better than the Martin but the Guild has been been my hands down favorite for 40 years..OK, once I was temped by a Collins but it was out of my price range at the time.
Tom