How to turn a post 1995 SF-4 into a SF-4 1/2

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
I always wanted a SF-4 with a tremolo, but I could't find one to my liking, since the guildsby likes to be used a bit more gentle. So i found the black SF-4 from drc and bought it because I had a plan:

IMG_0314_zpssqakkmcy.jpg

since this one is made made in 1998 and as all the models later than 1995 (correct me if I'm wrong) it has a regular tune-o-matic bridge. adding a guildsby doesn't make sense, because you would have to cover the holes of the bridge.
I knew that the german company Duesenberg offers a Les Trem (now improved version Les Trem II) for quite some years that can be mounted instead of the tune-o-matic string holder without drilling any holes. But it is said often that it might not work too well. So I took the challenge and bought one, but with the original bridge it really didn't stay in tune too well. The spring sits bery close to the bridge but doesn't touch it unless you make a complete dive bomb, so it doesn't have an affect to 99% percent of usage.
So I did a research about a replacement bridge and went for a graphtec NV2, because I also wanted a bit more clarity in the tone and didn't want to tra roller bridge. And this really is what I got: clarity and more harmonics. It sounded great and also stayed much better in tune now as promised, but still I had some problems with the guitar staying in tune after heavy bendings and the more extensive use of the Les Trem. So I got the Grover locking replacement for the rotomatics. And e voila, what can I say, now she not only sounds great but also stays in tune, and I also have the impression the sustain is the same as with the original tune-o-matic.
here some pics of the result:

IMG_0637_zpsgeft03uf.jpg

IMG_0638_zpsekknyu8n.jpg

IMG_0639_zpswhaaocml.jpg

works like a charm and is my no. 1 player right now.
I'll probably also will replace the tuners on the T-400 with the locking replacement, because it also makes string changing so much faster and easier.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That looks Great Krysh! The only other way I have seen to add a tremolo to a stop tail piece Starfire is to install a Guildsby B6 model (What comes stock on the Starfire III's and other Guild Hollowbodies). Then you can buy a separate Tension bar that mounts into the threaded holes of the original Stop tail piece. This tension bar keeps the string geometry where it needs to be for Break Angle and utilizes the holes left in the top by the removed Stop Tail Piece. It is a bit drawn out but also totally reversible if need be. However I find the Tremolo you installed on yours to be a Beautiful addition to your Starfire IV. It honestly looks like it belongs there and the design is flat out Awesome! This is something I may consider in the doing in the future due to the reliability you speak of and also the fact that it looks damn Sexy on there!

Great Job and Thanks for sharing the pics.

TX

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Neato! I've had a weird (for me) urge for awhile now to try a Les Trem II on my Heritage LP Custom. It's already got Grovers so installing the locking variant would be trivial, and the Graphtech bridge looks to be a smart move too.

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool. Kudos for making it totally reversible.

I have to ask about the krysh.com logo. Is it a sticker, or water decal, what? Because every time I see one of your guitars my brain screams, "nice guitar but he ruined it with a sticker."* Given your desire to make all these mods reversible those two ideas don't seem to fit together.

*"ruined" with a sticker has more to do with my abject hatred of stickers than anything else.

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool. Kudos for making it totally reversible.

I have to ask about the krysh.com logo. Is it a sticker, or water decal, what? Because every time I see one of your guitars my brain screams, "nice guitar but he ruined it with a sticker."* Given your desire to make all these mods reversible those two ideas don't seem to fit together.

*"ruined" with a sticker has more to do with my abject hatred of stickers than anything else.
Lol, it's a totally reversable sticker, gary.

gilded

Reaction score
Geez, I wonder how that trem would do on my 2000 bluesbird?

Krysh, I notice the Les Trem mounts with 2 stanchion bolts, but the package comes with 4 bolts. I presume that the other two bolts have a different threading?

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
Geez, I wonder how that trem would do on my 2000 bluesbird?

Krysh, I notice the Les Trem mounts with 2 stanchion bolts, but the package comes with 4 bolts. I presume that the other two bolts have a different threading?
american and metric.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice job! That's super cool, krysh.

I've never seen a Les Trem before. I like that it's non-intrusive, lighter in weight than a Bigsby, and simple in construction. It also looks so much easier to change strings. I may try to pick one up to install on my Les Paul. Too bad it won't work on my M-75 Bluesbird without some modification due to the slanted tailpiece, or I'd give it a shot on that first.

Last edited: