Greenwood Guitars

merlin6666

Reaction score
So I came across this Greenwood Guitars est. 1883 website which seems to be dedicated to the end of the NewHartford era, replicating most of the 2014 Guild site under various headings. It's a bit strange and I couldn't find a clue about who set this up or what purpose it serves. For those among us who like the New Hartford era there certainly are quite a few gems among the links, for example this:

http://greenwoodguitar.com/CUSTOM/

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
This site is like someone's fantasy version of a company that doesn't actually exist. :topsy_turvy: There is an actual Greenwood Guitars, but it's located in England and it seems they make electrics only: http://greenwood-guitars.com/ Lotsa English Greenwoods in my mom's side of the family…wonder if I'm related. :)

-Dave-

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
A lot of sites are set up to serve as click thru's and click bait for pay per click purposes, and to manipulate search engines...as well as more nefarious purposes...one of our resident computer safety wizards could probably track down the origin of this site...personally, I stay away from these kind of sites on general principles.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can't figure it out, yet. It was registered in Australia in 2013 so it is not a recent scam. My limited interaction didn't find an obvious attempt to install malware, harvest information or get me to click on an ad. It claims the site and contents are copyrighted but does not acknowledge any copyrights held by Guild, USA. There probably is a story here but I have not figured it out yet.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
One would have thought that Guild would have given them a "cease and desist" order by now...

walrus

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
One would have thought that Guild would have given them a "cease and desist" order by now...

walrus

One might have been wrong in so thinking.

First the site is in Australia. The degree to which the U.S. Copyright is protected there is a matter of treaty. I think some of the material would be protected but Guild would need a real lawyer, and not one who plays at being one on LTG. That is going to cost Guild money and that would be just to determine what was protected.

Ignoring international issues, since it is not clear just what the site does, it may very well be that the use is allowed under "fair use". The Westerly Guild Guitars site is an example of a site that appears to be using (some) copyrighted material but since it is gathering and presenting the material for informational purposes there is no obvious violation. Given the mishmash of material (Sugar-60 amps?) it may be that Greenwood Guitars is someone's fantasy site and not an attempt to scam or monetize or mislead.

Finally, since that material dates back to FMIC's ownership of Guild, it is possible that the infringement case would have to be pursued by FMIC and not Guild. That depends upon the sale agreement.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Under terms of use:

All textual, graphical and other content appearing on this World Wide Web site (www.GreenwoodGuitar.com) is the property of Greenwood Guitars Copyright © 2014 Greenwood Musical Instruments, Corp., 3002 georgetown farm ct. st ann mo 63074

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
First the site is in Australia. The degree to which the U.S. Copyright is protected there is a matter of treaty. I think some of the material would be protected but Guild would need a real lawyer, and not one who plays at being one on LTG. That is going to cost Guild money and that would be just to determine what was protected.

Also under terms of use:

"The laws of Arizona and the United States shall govern use of the website. Users agree that any action, suit, or proceedings arising from or related to use of the website shall be brought exclusively in the federal or state courts of the State of Arizona without regard to choice of law or conflicts of law provisions."

walrus

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
whois data
Raw Whois Data
Domain Name: GREENWOODGUITARS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1825275552_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.syrahost.com
Registrar URL: http://www.crazydomains.com
Updated Date: 2014-01-10T06:49:38Z
Creation Date: 2013-09-03T00:00:00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-09-03T00:00:00Z
Registrar: CRAZY DOMAINS FZ-LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 1291
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
b7aee95243ba25e22abd85062335a3f1dbd3345c.png
@crazydomains.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +61.894220890
Reseller: CRAZY DOMAINS
Domain Status: ok https://icann.org/epp#ok
Registry Registrant ID: 14343381
Registrant Name: ADAM KENYON
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 91 KOORINGAL AVE
Registrant City: THORNLEIGH
Registrant State/Province: NSW
Registrant Postal Code: 2120
Registrant Country: AU
Registrant Phone: +61.299450237
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Email:
752cb52061abfc829875e2de2da4069cf91b3a2c.png
@GBG.NET.AU
Registry Admin ID: 1017989
Admin Name: ADAM KENYON
Admin Organization:
Admin Street: 91 KOORINGAL AVE
Admin City: THORNLEIGH
Admin State/Province: NSW
Admin Postal Code: 2120
Admin Country: AU
Admin Phone: +61.299450237
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Email:
@GBG.NET.AU
Registry Tech ID: 1017989
Tech Name: ADAM KENYON
Tech Organization:
Tech Street: 91 KOORINGAL AVE
Tech City: THORNLEIGH
Tech State/Province: NSW
Tech Postal Code: 2120
Tech Country: AU
Tech Phone: +61.299450237
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Email:
@GBG.NET.AU
Name Server: NS1.CRAZYDOMAINS.COM.HOLLOW1.COM
Name Server: NS2.CRAZYDOMAINS.COM.HOLLOW1.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2014-01-10T06:49:38Z <<<

Going to archive.org and grabbing a snapshot of guildguitars.com circa April 2014 included the following in the terms of service:

The laws of Arizona and the United States shall govern use of the website. Users agree that any action, suit, or proceedings arising from or related to use of the website shall be brought exclusively in the federal or state courts of the State of Arizona without regard to choice of law or conflicts of law provisions.

I think much of Greenwood Guitars was lifted, without change from the Guild Guitars website circa 2014. I do not think Greenwood made any effort to modify terms or service and copyright claims that were included in the original.

I remain puzzled by Greenwood's assertion of copyright over the material on the website. Ditto for the Missouri address.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, WTF...? The site is appears to be some alternative-reality mash-up between Guild and Greenwood... very strange