Here is a pic of the guild I had

Parker1625

Reaction score
Barrys%20gear_zpsvko5paeb.jpg

wileypickett

Reaction score
If it had maple back and sides, my guess is a D44. Interesting it had a split saddle -- that would have been an after-market change.

krugjr

Reaction score
Parker.....if you decide to go Jumbo instead of Dread, check out my F50 in the FS/FT section.....jus sayin'

Parker1625

Reaction score
Yeah, I had never seen a split saddle. At the time, one of my friends knew I was looking for a Guild and he saw it in Clark Music in Atlanta said I should check it out. Walked out with it for $435. I had a fret job and set up to lower the action just a bit. And if I remember they removed the bridge and put in a Martin Thinline pickup. Man, it was a sweet sounding guitar. My roommate had a mahogany Guild with a not sure how you describe it, sunken or maybe you call it a drop back. Anyhow he was pretty partial to his Guild, but every now and then he would like to use mine on tracks. I just found a D44 on Guitar Center's website in great condition for $1099. Just to know I had to let go of the one I had for half what I paid for it.....well the value has certainly gone up over the years.

Parker1625

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced mine was a D44 and not the G-37. Something different in body of the G-37. The only difference in the one in the pic and the way mine looked when I sold it. Mine no longer had the original white strap peg, it had a metal jack peg.

geoguy

Reaction score
One good thing about buying from GC is their trial period, during which you can return the guitar if you don't like it. An especially good thing because their photos & descriptions are minimalist, at best.

A maple D-44 can be an excellent guitar. I have a beat-up example that sounds really nice.

bobouz

Reaction score
Note that on instruments listed as Vintage, GC's return period is only 72 hours.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know if that price is reasonable or not. Ask them for a 20% discount. :tiger: Is this a local GC or do you have to ask about this over the phone? It looks good. With a nice ebony board?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If it had maple back and sides, my guess is a D44. Interesting it had a split saddle -- that would have been an after-market change.
That IS pretty unusual, don't think I've ever seen that "from the factory", except on A/E basses.
Aha: "...removed the bridge"...bet it accompanied that Martin pickup installation he mentions.
Hi Parker welcome aboard!
We call that "drop back" an "arched back".
A Guild specialty, and nobody does it better.
If your friend's mahogany Guild it was an arched back dreadnought it was probably a D25, one of their most popular models.
The G-37 was an arched back maple bodied dread.

Last edited:

Parker1625

Reaction score
Well folks, I am now the proud owner of a 1977 Guild D44!!! It is in process of being shipped from the Lexington store to Georgia. In the midst of deciding on buying it, I found out that the man that did all the work on my guitars back in the 90's, Bert Foster, apparently moved his shop from Snellville and now operates a guitar shop up here close to where I live in Cumming. As soon as it arrives, I'm going to take it to him for inspection since all I could do is get a description from one of the guys in the guitar department of the Lexington store. I don't think they would have dropped the price. I tried to get them to throw in a SM57 mic with the deal to no avail. Anyhow, I'm stoked.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well folks, I am now the proud owner of a 1977 Guild D44!!! It is in process of being shipped from the Lexington store to Georgia. In the midst of deciding on buying it, I found out that the man that did all the work on my guitars back in the 90's, Bert Foster, apparently moved his shop from Snellville and now operates a guitar shop up here close to where I live in Cumming. As soon as it arrives, I'm going to take it to him for inspection since all I could do is get a description from one of the guys in the guitar department of the Lexington store.
Cool, nice to have somebody you already know doing the work!
I don't think they would have dropped the price. I tried to get them to throw in a SM57 mic with the deal to no avail.
Yeah, if you didn't know it, they're having some major $$ issues we've discussed here, so doesn't surprise me that they're gettin' a lot tighter on the deals.

Parker1625

Reaction score
I imagine they consider the mic coming out of separate inventory and budget.....it's a corporate way of thinking. Anyhow, talked to Bert yesterday, and he said as long as the saddle was okay, that the action issue that the guitar salesman reported in Lexington shouldn't be a problem. Of course he coudn't quite recall the work he did on my guitars 24 years ago, the split bridge did strike a memory. Of course he has worked with some major artists, he won't remember until I show him some pics. As soon as I get the guitar. I'm gonna call him and arrange to have him inspect it within the grace period. Any problems and back to the store we go. I didn't pay quite this much for the Clapton Signature strat I bought back then. I think I paid $900 for that. Next strat is gonna be a regular ole American Standard. And that is next on the list. Bert's Guitar Shop https://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Last edited: