X79 vs X80

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
For posterity. I used these as a lighting experiment.

The red one is an X-79-3. The sunburst one is an X80.

The X-80 is more or less a reverse of the X-79 body shape, but as you can see they're not exact mirror images.

Guild-X80-X79-2.jpg

Guild-X80-X79-1.jpg

And one to hurt your head:

Guild-X80-X79-4.jpg

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
GAD, your excellent photography just highlights just how deeply wierd Guild design was during that time. They look like the love children of a strat and an Explorer. Knowing Guilds, I bet they play like a dream, though.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD, your excellent photography just highlights just how deeply wierd Guild design was during that time. They look like the love children of a strat and an Explorer. Knowing Guilds, I bet they play like a dream, though.

Thanks!

They're surprisingly different guitars, though to be fair the X80 is maple and the X79 feels like balsa wood. I think the X79 is one of the lightest guitars I've ever owned.

The X80 is a monster player and is getting a LOT of playtime here. The pickup toggles on the X79 annoy me.

My gut reaction to both is this: The X79 is goofy. The X80 is elegant.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I'll take the X79 (not literally, though): single coils, Müller, the shorter horn on the treble side. I'd have to do something about the toggles for performance…no point in owning this guitar unless you're seen playing it. :)

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll take the X79 (not literally, though): single coils, Müller, the shorter horn on the treble side. I'd have to do something about the toggles for performance…no point in owning this guitar unless you're seen playing it. :)

-Dave-

I thought I would like the X-79 better, too, but the X-80 is much nicer to play. I don't know if it's because of the different body woods or what, but the X-80 just balances better in almost every way. I thought the long horn on the bottom would interfere with fretting the super-high notes, but it really doesn't.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Those photos really show the similarities/differences of these guitars - nice! Long live the 80's!

walrus