Does this Guild D55 looks fake to you?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, Vincenzo! Welcome to the forum!

That looks like a D-55 to me, with some heavy play wear around the soundhole. Ask for more pictures, particularly of the bridge and,action over the 12th fret.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've always wanted a Guild. And I found this heavily used D55 for sale. Since it is going for less than half of a new one (which is very unusual in my country) I'm wondering if it is a fake or something like that....

Welcome to the boards! Yes, it's too bad about that pick wear at the soundhole. I don't know of a good fix for that. I'm guessing that price converts to about $1670. I'm not well versed in the price of this model, but that doesn't seem far out of line, maybe even a bit high, considering that damage. The description (after google translate) is out of date, as it says "Nowadays, Guild guitars are manufactured by Fender in Corona, California..." Guild moved to Tacoma, Washington in the early 2000s, and more recently to Oxnard, California. So this guitar could be a Corona-built. Hard to tell....

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
The guitar was played a lot and heavily, and since it has an electronic pickup and might have been heavily gigged in a band, hence the chipping around the sound hole. As about the condition of the frets as well. Ask as many questions that occur to you about condition of the guitar's various parts. Good luck!

Reaction score
The guitar was played a lot and heavily, and since it has an electronic pickup and might have been heavily gigged in a band, hence the chipping around the sound hole. As about the condition of the frets as well. Ask as many questions that occur to you about condition of the guitar's various parts. Good luck!

I'm not too worried about the chipping around the soundhole as long as there's not any structural damage and it's not a fake.
I'm actually thinking of using it as a gig/travel guitar, since my other one is more expensive and harder to replace.
Is the choice of opening the endpin for battery acess usual? Never seen it before.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That Is a Guild D55 that was made in Tacoma, WA. between 2005-2008 judging from the Oversized endpin of the factory electronics. I don't know what the exchange rate is or what a Great Condition D55 goes for in your country but I can say that guitar has a lot of wear on it and if the previous post is correct at around $1670 American that price is pretty high for what is there. They are wonderful guitars and just for your reference I recently purchased a 2010 model D55 in New condition for less than what this one is going for. Here is a link to the one I just got recently.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?193163-NGD-2010-D55-Burst

Just some knowledge about the D55 you posted. It was made in Tacoma and it does have the Scalloped Adirondack Red Spruce bracing inside of it that became Standard during Tacoma Production. Unfortunately I can't say if the Damage will have any effect on the play ability or overall tone but it does have a major effect on the value. If everything checked out on that one I would consider paying between $1100-$1250 American here in the states for it due to the damage to the to and any other damage it may have internally.

Best of luck to you!

TX

Reaction score
That Is a Guild D55 that was made in Tacoma, WA. between 2005-2008 judging from the Oversized endpin of the factory electronics. I don't know what the exchange rate is or what a Great Condition D55 goes for in your country but I can say that guitar has a lot of wear on it and if the previous post is correct at around $1670 American that price is pretty high for what is there. They are wonderful guitars and just for your reference I recently purchased a 2010 model D55 in New condition for less than what this one is going for. Here is a link to the one I just got recently.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?193163-NGD-2010-D55-Burst

Just some knowledge about the D55 you posted. It was made in Tacoma and it does have the Scalloped Adirondack Red Spruce bracing inside of it that became Standard during Tacoma Production. Unfortunately I can't say if the Damage will have any effect on the play ability or overall tone but it does have a major effect on the value. If everything checked out on that one I would consider paying between $1100-$1250 American here in the states for it due to the damage to the to and any other damage it may have internally.

Best of luck to you!

TX

Here In Brazil we have 50% importation taxes... So American made guitars are pretty scarce around here... And expensive. The only other one that I've found used in mint condition is a westerly (according to him). And he want the equivalent of 4kUS$ for it.
I don't care for the play wear as long there is no structural damage or the need of a neck reset.
It seems that it was re-fretted recently.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tacoma made some super nice Guilds, but they put the Guild "rooftop logo" kinda high on the headstock so it looks a bit odd. Wow, someone played the hell out of that one, huh? :encouragement:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here In Brazil we have 50% importation taxes... So American made guitars are pretty scarce around here... And expensive. The only other one that I've found used in mint condition is a westerly (according to him). And he want the equivalent of 4kUS$ for it.
I don't care for the play wear as long there is no structural damage or the need of a neck reset.
It seems that it was re-fretted recently.
Welcome aboard Vincenzo!
Others have confirmed the authenticity, and yes that battery-in-the-endpin setup was offered in Tacoma.
I'd be surprised if a Guild that young needed a reset, unless it was strung with heavy strings all of its life. (Tacoma built them with lights .012-.053)
Here's how to check the neck angle:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html
If that's good, bearing in mind what you say about scarcity in Brazil, I'd say definitely try to catch that guitar while you can.

Reaction score
Just a little pick-wear...it'll buff right out! LOL!
OK, well more than just a little! But it's MADE TO BE PLAYED...and someone played the hell out of that puppy!
Otherwise, not bad! And for what you said you're looking for, it's an option! Maybe see if they will take an offer, but seeing as how they are so scarce in your country, they may not! (Boy, something we here in the USA land-of-plenty sometimes take for granted!)

And the endpin...looks to be the old "Lock n Load" system. The end-pin and battery holder all in one. Just make sure the electronics work!

Geotrio

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
50% import tax hurts! That said the guitar has been heavily played and it's impossible to know the true condition with the photos attached here. That is some very heavy, heavy wear around the sound hole (willie 'on the road again') and I would never buy it without playing it and inspecting it in person even if I lived in Antarctica.