rosewood bridge with rollers?

CharleyRich

Reaction score
Guild Total
I would like to replace the metal bridge on my x-170t with one that has a rosewood base and an adjustable roller top. Is there one I can buy that will fit the Guild?

Thanks,

Charley

gilded

Reaction score
Charley,

I have a 2000 X-170T on permanent loan from a friend of mine. This guitar's bridge has a rosewood base with a tune-a-matic style gold-plated metal top with roller saddles, probably the same unit that ClaytonS15 is talking about.

It works well and I'm glad it is on the guitar. The original Bigsby bridge is in the guitar case pocket, but I have never felt the need to put it back on the guitar.

The only issue that I have with this roller bridge is that the low E string can pop out of it's roller if I'm playing 'heavy' rock and roll chords and get carried away. When that happens, the string will aways lay right in between the E and A string saddles. I'll grab the string, put it back in place on the saddle and keep playing. It takes about 10 seconds.

You will also want to get the wooden bridge bottom base fitted to the guitar top, so you should add that expense to your total cost, etc.

marcellis

Reaction score
I have basically the same Rosewood bridge w/ToM atop it on my NS Starfire III.
It is very UNsatisfactory. I'm in Vietnam right now getting a new thicker wooden bridge
(either Mahogany, Rosewood or Maple) made for it. But note: I have the Guildsby vibrato.

The fret buzz w/.11's w/the Rosewood bridge you're contemplating, is intolerable to me.
I've identified the problem as the Rosewood bridge that came stock w/the Starfire III is not high enough.

The guitar arrived new from Sweetwater w/the Tune-o-Matic poles extended almost to the max - and still the buzzing of frets was intolerable - strung w/.11's.

Plugged in - you don't hear the buzz. The guitar sounds great amplified. And I love the Guildsby. But I come from an acoustic guitar background. I knew very little about electrics. Fret buzzing is just something I can't live with - even if you don't hear it through the amp. It's a big deal in acoustics, apparently not so much for electrics.

Sweetwater's 55 point inspection apparently doesn't cover playing the instrument to determine if frets buzz - or whether the poles are extended to the maximum height in the Tune-o-Matic bridge.

I suspect this this is not only an issue w/my guitar but others also - w/the same configuration you're contemplating. If you have no Bigsby - it may not be a problem.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
I have one of the original 1970s rosewood roller bridges if you want. I'll grab a picture of it tomorrow

parker_knoll

Reaction score
sorry, forgot all about it! It's one of about fifteen things I'm supposed to photograph. Haven't you got a draw full of them, Hans?

parker_knoll

Reaction score
only the base is rosewood. apologies if I got you excited :)

EDIT: The Mueller Bridge, that's what it's called. I couldn't remember. I believe it came standard with some Guild models for a while. Hans can confirm.

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Mueller Bridge, that's what it's called. I couldn't remember. I believe it came standard with some Guild models for a while. Hans can confirm.

Mueller made a version of their roller bridge that could be mounted on a rosewood base, but as far as I know it was never offered as a standard feature on any Guild model during the '70s or any other period.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

parker_knoll

Reaction score
my bad. However, my original statement was entirely correct: "I have one of the original 1970s rosewood roller bridges if you want. I'll grab a picture of it tomorrow". It's a Muller bridge on a rosewood base from the 1970s, as opposed to the other linked one that another poster deems unsatisfactory.

I'll grab a pic for the OP if he wants as I don't need it, and for you as well.

Last edited: