NGD - 1978 S300 Black

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay this is only the second Guild electric I have ever owned and the first solid body / chambered. My other one was a NS Series SF 4 with Stop tail. Very different guitars. I am loving the s-300. The thing about the SF4 that I miss most are the pickups. Well now I have those pickups on an extremely comfortable body shape and an ebony fret board.. I picked it up off of Reverb for a nice swipe below $1k. There are some party gouges so that would explain the seller's willingness to meet my number.

Something about the shape of these and the S60, S65, and S70 that really just speaks to me.

It came with a couple of goofy stickers on it hiding some of the gouges.. Not sure why.. Either way, pulled those off and got rid of the gunk. I am not a photographer, but here are some shots of her.

Not sure whether or not those knobs are legit. Every other one I have seen has the "G" knobs. This one is rocking an LP vibe with these.

So I returned an impulse buy ( Gibson 60's tribute LP with 90's - frets were apparently filed down using a broken beer bottle ) in order to fund this.. And let's just say I am glad I did. This thing has all of the sustain and roar of an LP with the comfort of a fender. At least I find fenders to be very comfy. The neck profile is perfection. The HB's are spot on. Just the right amount of oomph. I am not a metal / hard rock guy so these provide the perfect amount of testicular horsepower for my mix of roots rock / alternative / alt-country / rockabilly / cow punk. At least to my ears they do. She is a keeper.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very nice! Those knobs are not Guilds, but they look fine on that guitar! Congratulations!

walrus

matsickma

Reaction score
Some if the early 80's Guild's use knobs similar to what you have in that S300. In particular check out a stock S275 and the second version of the M80.

M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yup - if those knobs have notices in them they may be Guild knobs, but they're not accurate for that guitar.

If you decide to get G-Shield knobs I'd buy these from you if they are the Guild knobs.

Here are what Guild speed knobs from the S-275 I reviewed look like:

1982-Guild-S275-Knobs.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
BTW I'm impressed that you got the stickers off! Stickers on lacquer guitars make me cringe.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
fantastic score D30! I like the all black and the body shape is interesting. head stock is super sleek too.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ah, good eye, gentlemen, I was assuming they were Gibson speed knobs. That's even better, D30man!

walrus

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yup - if those knobs have notices in them they may be Guild knobs, but they're not accurate for that guitar.

If you decide to get G-Shield knobs I'd buy these from you if they are the Guild knobs.

Here are what Guild speed knobs from the S-275 I reviewed look like:

1982-Guild-S275-Knobs.jpg

Those are the ones. Yeah I am looking for the G-shield knobs. If I come across some I will sell these to you. Although they look awful sporty on this S-300.
Fortunately GAD the stickers had not been on there long so they were fairly easy to deal with.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
fantastic score D30! I like the all black and the body shape is interesting. head stock is super sleek too.

Thanks WW. "Interesting" is a great way to describe it.. Since my kids are both drummers I needed to beef up the electrics stable. This one and my Squier Classic Vibe ( better feel than any US I have owned ) are doing a nice job holding it down when we want to get loud.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice! Those knobs are not Guilds, but they look fine on that guitar! Congratulations!

walrus

Thanks, Walrus! Yeah they work. If I come across some G-shields I will likely pick them up, but these look really cool.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Those are the ones. Yeah I am looking for the G-shield knobs. If I come across some I will sell these to you. Although they look awful sporty on this S-300.
Fortunately GAD the stickers had not been on there long so they were fairly easy to deal with.

Good deal! The Guild online shop used to sell silver G-shield knobs but I don't see them right now. Bummer.