Great, simple recipe

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Line the bottom of a glass baking dish with your favorite sauerkraut. Brown your pork chops/steaks in a hot cast iron pan and place them on top of the sauerkraut Spread your favorite applesauce on top of the pork, maybe a sprinkle of good cinnamon on top. Cover with aluminum foil, bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. You're welcome.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ya' lost me at sauerkraut.

Well, I don't do pork , unless it is bacon, either. Apple Sauce and Cinnamon is good !

beecee

Reaction score
Seeing as I grew up in a household where gravy was considered a beverage, this one hits the spot.

Heck throw some bread crumbs and cheese in there and you have the perfect meal. All 4 food groups represented.

I love good nutrition.

Thanks Dreadnut!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ya' lost me at sauerkraut.
I gotta ask, have you ever had good sauerkraut as opposed to the stuff that's passed off for it in cans and jars?
It might surprise ya, not nearly as "vinegary" as "that stuff".
Even "that stuff" can be amazingly improved just by a cold water soak.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
We have Polish heritage days here in October "Pulaski Days," the Polish halls are all serving cold beer and hot kielbasa and kapusta, and peirogis, everyone is Polish for the weekend! The "church ladies" make home made kapusta that is to die for.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Al,

I'm just not a " Pickled .... " kinda' guy. I prefer bread and butter pickles to dill pickles.

So, pickled cabbage just isn't my thing.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al,

I'm just not a " Pickled .... " kinda' guy. I prefer bread and butter pickles to dill pickles.

So, pickled cabbage just isn't my thing.

Fair enough, but it's actually fermented, not "pickled" in the sense of vinegar immersion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut
I actually looked at just how sauerkraut's made after dreadnut's last post and was surprised at what an actually great health food it is.
Never realized that.
Mightily tempted to start making my own, no joke!
But I draw the line at kimchi.
I gave it 3 chances over about the same number of years.
Never again.
:biggrin-new:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, kapusta is great health food but it is also musical like beans...

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
This discussion has me thinking about one of our area's popular ethnic foods, "sarmas". My wife makes the best. A mixture of ground ham, pork and rice wrapped in leaves from a "Sour Head" (cabbage heads fermented very much like 'kraut) and then placed in the slow cooker, covered with sauerkraut, cut up polish delights (small sized polish sausage) and with some stewed tomatoes added. Yum! My favorite part of the sarma, is those sour head leaves.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, kapusta is great health food but it is also musical like beans...

Saw that part, indigestable saccharide.
's OK, there's a fix for that, even more than one, depending on your preferred method of ingestion:
R-7448615-1441707486-3353.jpeg.jpg

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
By reading the original post, I believe I realized why the Brits and the Frogs were at war for several centuries: Mixing cinnamon and apple sauce with meat..... almost got sick just reading it. :hopelessness: :laughing:
On another hand, I do enjoy a fine sauerkraut. 'Specially with the right kinda sausage. :pig:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
By reading the original post, I believe I realized why the Brits and the Frogs were at war for several centuries: Mixing cinnamon and apple sauce with meat..... almost got sick just reading it.
I see that as no greater a crime than dressing waterfowl with citrus sauces.
:biggrin-new:

Actually got a suspicion that's a Dutch thing (cinnamon on applesauce) since they monopolized the spice trade particularly cinnamon and nutmeg for a while. ("Dutch East India Company")
Maybe Hans could enlighten us.
In fact horning in on the spice trade is what motivated Spain to finance Columbus, and was a source of friction between Holland and England later on.

From "the usual source":

"Indonesian rafts transported cinnamon directly from the Moluccas to East Africa (see also Rhapta), where local traders then carried it north[18][19][20] to Alexandria in Egypt. Venetian traders from Italy held a monopoly on the spice trade in Europe, distributing cinnamon from Alexandria. The disruption of this trade by the rise of other Mediterranean powers, such as the Mamluk sultans and the Ottoman Empire, was one of many factors that led Europeans to search more widely for other routes to Asia.

Dutch traders established a trading post in 1638, took control of the manufactories by 1640, and expelled the remaining Portuguese by 1658. "The shores of the island are full of it," a Dutch captain reported, "and it is the best in all the Orient. When one is downwind of the island, one can still smell cinnamon eight leagues out to sea." [21]:15 The Dutch East India Company continued to overhaul the methods of harvesting in the wild and eventually began to cultivate its own trees."

and
"In 1767, Lord Brown of the British East India Company established Anjarakkandy Cinnamon Estate near Anjarakkandy in the Cannanore district of Kerala; it became Asia's largest cinnamon estate. The British took control of Ceylon from the Dutch in 1796."

OK, maybe once they controlled their own supply they started lookin' fer ways to use all that surplus cinnamon....heck for all we know it might have even led to the creation of the Cinnamon Challenge

Antney

Reaction score
I may be mistaken but I think sauerkraut made transatlantic crossings possible because of its ability to stay fresh in barrels for long periods and its high vitamin c content which prevented scurvy. I also seemed to remember the pilgrims slept with the windows on the mayflower open. I could be misremembering any part or all of this...

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I also rub my slow-charcoal-cooked pork loin with some finely ground coffee and just a small pinch of Saigon cinnamon, among other things. Not many people would turn down a nice thick slice of this bad boy.

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I also rub my slow-charcoal-cooked pork loin with some finely ground coffee and just a small pinch of Saigon cinnamon, among other things.

Although we might have some differences in taste when it comes to food, I salute your creativity Sir. (And that pic inspired me to fire the grill up for lunch today...) ;)
I must admit I had to look up "Saigon Cinnamon" (on Al's favorite source) and this lead me to believe that it's closeness to cassia makes it more suitable on meat than regular "pastry" cinnamon... IMO of course.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cinnamon, like cilantro, are easily overdone. Subtle is better.

dougdnh

Reaction score
Sauerkraut can be addictive, and very easy to make. 1 3/4 lbs shredded cabbage, 1 tablespoonn of salt, knead it together in a bowl, then put it in a 1 qt mason jar making sure the cabbage is covered with liquid. Put a loose lid on it, leave it ferment for about a week.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I may be mistaken but I think sauerkraut made transatlantic crossings possible because of its ability to stay fresh in barrels for long periods and its high vitamin c content which prevented scurvy.
From "the usual source":
"James Cook always took a store of sauerkraut on his sea voyages, since experience had taught him it prevented scurvy.[9][10]"
Captain Cook "achieved the first recorded European contact with the eastern coastline of Australia and the Hawaiian Islands, and the first recorded circumnavigation of New Zealand."
At the time, the 1700's, they didn't know what vitamin C was, they just knew that citrus fruits and sauerkraut had something in 'em..

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, the heck with making it. The guys at the Church I attend make up a huge batch of Kraut each year for a fund raising project. Living alone, I buy 10 to 12 quarts each time. I get 3 meals out of each quart, mic it with smoked sausage in a slow cooker with onion, red bell peppers and carrots and in general, just pig out. I love that stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!