Not normally into vintage....

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...but I'm wondering where/when Guild used this label....

s-l1600.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
That serious number looks to be about 1974. My '76 does not have that label.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
My 1975 (#120683) F-212XL has the same label. BTW, I'm offering up my F-212XL to LGTers for $1,000 +75 shipping CONUS.

Last edited:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
From the "Gospel according to Hans," the oval label with "made in USA" was introduced in late 1972 and lasted until ~1975.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Hans,
Do you have any idea as to why Guild didn't mention a place name? Was it, perhaps, because the company didn't want to advertise its move from Hoboken, out of its origin region to Rhode Island?

swiveltung

Reaction score
Interesting .....it looks like a Westerly label without the Westerly location. My 71 has no label just a "brand" on the spine internally.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
1969-74 or so. Just following the move to Westerly from Hoboken.

Yeah, the Guilds I have owned that were built in 1973 failed to include a city or state.

bobouz

Reaction score
Yes indeed. Same label on my '73 F-30R & '74 F-40.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And, my D25 Br, its label would have said Westerly, RI and zip, but the label fell out long before I bought it. For a while I could make out the sticker footprint but I don't even think I can see that anymore. the Br really could use a refret, the potholes in fretboard are getting a tad noticeable. Even considering reducing string gauge to .11-.52 to help with finger pads but the thought to dropping down from .12s is a bit depressing. And I have no desire to invest 300-400 bucks in a refret. ah the Br saga continues with its annual wrench in the machine. :)

anyone get by with .11-.52 gauge strings on a dread?

thanks

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And, my D25 Br, its label would have said Westerly, RI and zip, but the label fell out long before I bought it.

Hello Wood,

If your D25 Br is the 1971 D25 Flatback--The "Br" that's mentioned at the bottom of your posting, then the label would have said 'Guild Guitars, Inc.' without mentioning the location of the factory.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello Wood,

If your D25 Br is the 1971 D25 Flatback--The "Br" that's mentioned at the bottom of your posting, then the label would have said 'Guild Guitars, Inc.' without mentioning the location of the factory.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

ah thanks Hans!. Glad I am not missing anything then...:)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Interesting .....it looks like a Westerly label without the Westerly location. My 71 has no label just a "brand" on the spine internally.
It definitely came with a label, but they seem to have been prone to falling off during that period, as Westerly Wood and Neal have noted, and a few others over the years.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hans,
Do you have any idea as to why Guild didn't mention a place name? Was it, perhaps, because the company didn't want to advertise its move from Hoboken, out of its origin region to Rhode Island?
I'd be kinda surprised if that kind of thinking was in play back then, in any case they had started making M20's in Westerly already by '67 and were using up old Hoboken labels until that one came in.
So there'd have been plenty of time for the industry and buyers to "catch on".
They didn't have a choice about leaving Hoboken, the building owner refused to renew the lease, something about fire hazards, IIRC.
They HAD to find a new location and Westerly was virtually made-to-order, except for the distance.
Al Dronge commuted there in his private plane and that's actually how he died in '72.
Wouldn't surprise me if it had more to do with new president Leon Tell deciding what the new label should look like at a time when "Made In USA" might have been deemed as a more important message than "Where in the USA"

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Sounds like the label got lost. As far as I understand, labeling was routine. All acoustic Guild guitars have the "brand" on the spine internally.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My 1975 (#120683) F-212XL has the same label. BTW, I'm offering up my F-212XL to LGTers for $1,000 +75 shipping CONUS.

I looked at that and should have noticed the same label and made the Westerly connection, which you identified. Good luck with your sale, Rich. I'm just a 12-string junkie, but I've got a good fix in its case in the other room....

Thanks for all the responses and info, guys!

gfj350.jpg

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
As far as I understand, labeling was routine.

Might need to be a bit more nuanced. My '71 JS II left the factory without a label. (I know because I'm the original owner). My, possibly incorrect, recollection is there were enough instruments from that time that never got a factory label, that the absence is not unusual. It may be that "missing labels" were less likely on acoustics...