Blue S284

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like blue.

Guild-S284-Blue-Top.jpg

This one has a rosewood fretboard where my black one has ebony. This one has a break on the headstock through the low E-string which is relatively common on these pointy jobs. The pics were terrible and he advertised it as having a "headstock break" so no one would touch it. He lowered the price to $350 and I nabbed it. Killer sounding and playing guitar.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice grab GAD. I honestly think the Aviator is one of the most under rated guitars out there on the market. I feel like they can compete with any of the big name high dollar Super Strat style guitars and beat quite a few in a heads up competition. My only hope is that they stay in the "Anonymous Category" so the prices continue to make them ultra affordable for the regular musician. The Blue looks pretty sweet!

TX

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That does kinda look like rosewood, huh? I know some ebony has streaks like that......
A lot of ebony has streaks; it's usually dyed if it's jet black. Not all, but tis a common practice round these parts. (Name the reference for bonus points.)

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
What are the body & neck woods with these things? Overall weight? Even though pointy isn't my thing, I have yet to add a Guild to my growing collection of "Strat-y guitars that aren't Strats"…

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I haven't done my normal deep research on these, but my guess would be poplar.

The most "Stratty" thing about these IMO is the fact that they're long scale. They're like a Strat on the back half and a double-cut Tele on the front half, but they're like an S300 in the neck and a Super-Strat on the head. It does sound "Stratty" because of the single coils, but they're EMGs, so there's that. I think what drives home the similarity to a Strat is the output jack and the 5-position switch.

And then there's the swimming-pool route which is a very '90s Strat sort of thing. :)

Guild-1984-S284-Aviator-PickGuard3.jpg

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Swimming pool with the spa attached, I'd say.

How stable do you think that repair on the headstock is ?

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
That is a cool guitar GAD. Nice EMG's. I bet that thing spanks.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Swimming pool with the spa attached, I'd say.

How stable do you think that repair on the headstock is ?

I'd say that it appears to be as stable as it is ugly. :smug:

The seller said that it "came with a bad headstock repair that I redid and now it's very stable". I've restrung it and had no issues. I may send it out to have that repair professionally touched up because the guitar is in fabulous shape except for that and a ding on the pointy bit of the headstock.

F312

Reaction score
I've yet to see one without a chip on the pointy

Ralph

F312

Reaction score
I need a case for one of these if it becomes available.

Ralph