Photo Hosting

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Photobucket has become a real pain, full of popups and freezing up every few minutes.

Suggestions for a better, hassle free photo/video hosting service?

geoguy

Reaction score
I've heard that ImageShack is more reliable than PhotoBucket nowadays, for exactly the reasons that you described.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have imageshack and take enough photos that I can justify paying for the yearly membership. All of imageshack is now a pay only site but there are no ads, It literally takes 10 seconds to go from login to uploading photos or browsing photos, Great picture quality, and if there are ever any site problems I have found that they are fixed and running within a very short time. To me it is Worth not dealing with the hassle. I won't even look at pictures hosted on Photobucket anymore because they try to tack on so much stuff to your computer. I clicked on one photobucket picture and within 10 seconds my ad blocker was already up to 191 items blocked and counting. That is ridiculous!

TX

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Another vote for Image Shack. They had a huge crash a few years ago that wiped out a LOT of photos but as time went on, I got most of them back. Not ALL, but most. Logging in is quick and easy to pick up the direct link to post here and elsewhere, with no ads. I do pay for it, but it's worth it to me.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I use Photobucket, mainly just for LTG, but from my iPad where all the ad rubbish is kept at bay. When I link to a pic, like this one…

80CDF720-EF2D-46D0-8E06-A642E72E3E54_zpsxryet8ur.jpg

…I use the Direct option, which I'm assuming doesn't result in pop-ups or other nonsense should anyone click (or tap) on the pic. But if it does I'll certainly find a different host!

-Dave-

Reaction score
My son set me up with "Dropbox" and I have been using it for a few years. He said it doesn't cost anything and any time I want to post a picture I just copy it into the Dropbox "public folder" and it it is easily accessible. It is also a great way to share specific photos, pictures, files, etc. Other than that, I know nothing about it.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I was always happy with the ease of handling through imageshack, and then we (they) ran into billing problems, or more accurately double-billing problems. I had a premium membership and paid annually but for some reason I started getting billed every month, complete with "threats" to cancel if I didn't pay or upgrade my membership.
Repeated/frustrating attempts to communicate went nowhere, so I was left with no option other than to bail out, so I did.

Anyone missing bird photos? :watermelon:

Joe

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I have definitely missed your bird photos! They are always very high quality, with interesting lighting and backgrounds. I noticed that you weren't posting owl and raptor photos in the LTGers section. But, I thought it was because you were busy with other activities. I didn't realize it was because of a "photo hosting" problem.

Bill

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Photobucket has become a real pain, full of popups and freezing up every few minutes.

Suggestions for a better, hassle free photo/video hosting service?

I started having those problems with Photobucket and then I opted for their ad free upgrade for a small yearly fee. Works far better now.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
My son set me up with "Dropbox" and I have been using it for a few years. He said it doesn't cost anything and any time I want to post a picture I just copy it into the Dropbox "public folder" and it it is easily accessible. It is also a great way to share specific photos, pictures, files, etc. Other than that, I know nothing about it.

Dropbox recently revamped how they handle Public Folders. The process for linking from Dropbox to LTG is not as straight forward as it once was. Leastwise, what I did was wrong, GAD used Google to show me the way and I have not tried it since.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm using a combination of a Google Drive and Google Photos as a host. Free and I've already got tools and software installed. However, I am paranoid and not all of my photos are hosted and the ones that are, are copies of photos that I store locally and backup up locally. I am a dying breed - I assume there will be times when I do not have internet access or that services on the internet will disappear - so if it is important I make sure the internet is not my only alternative. I also take only a handful of photos a month and rarely share, so what works for me might not work for someone who lives behind a camera.

Since we have revived the bird photos controversy :) I still question the reasoning behind posting them to LTG. But, once they were corralled so that it was obvious how to avoid them if you were not interested, I grew to look forward to them and learned a fair amount from the pictures and follow on discussion.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Another option, which I'm exploring, is to use a Wordpress site. I use them for my website, and you can create any number of free sites to link from. Here's a c.1900 C. Bruno parlor guitar I just picked up; pics are on Wordpress.
img_0182.jpg

img_0184.jpg

img_0190.jpg

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Oooh, that's lovely! I love the focused sound of those little parlors. Played some that were surprisingly loud too.

-Dave-