Need some opinions before a purchase (Mark V)

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Mark V off of Craigslist. The seller is willing to drop the price to $500. That seems to be a solid price, but the price for Mark series guitars seems to fluctuate a lot online. The add is below. Thoughts? (By the way, I haven't seen it in person yet. Plan to do that this week.)

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/6134458109.html

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
$500 is a great price for a MK V. As long as it's not got any issues (looks like some neck wear), go for it!

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
I saw the neck wear and it looks like it has non-original tuners. Neither are deal breakers for me. This will be my first classical (I have a JF-30 and a D-30). Anything I should be looking for when I inspect it?

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
FWIW, around 1980 I spent a year and a half in a Classical Guitar B. Mus. program.The guitar professor and a couple of the students had Ramirez 1A concert guitars, and my Mark V compared favorably with them. $500 would be a good price if it's in playable condition. The wear on the neck looks like wear from playing, wouldn't bother me.
Brad

gilded

Reaction score
Okie-man,

The Guild Marks I own or have owned tend/tended to have high actions. Since it's hard for me to play high-actioned guitars (even nylon ones), that's been a problem. If it feels comfortable to you, buy it. If it doesn't, walk away.

Here's why. Mark 5, 6 and 7 guitars have Spanish Heel neck construction and the short version is that you have to take the guitar apart if you want to change the neck angle. Expensive.

I've had a Mark II, a III, an '85 Mark 5 (later Marks don't use Roman numbers) and now a Mark 4P (P for Padauk wood). The action was high on all of them except the Mark 4P. The Mark 5 was especially high and I sold it at a slight loss.

$500 seems right for a Mark V with finish issues that's a little beat up. I'd be curious what the un-pictured beat-up case looks like, too.

Good luck!

silverfox103

Reaction score
Looks like a great deal! Run don't walk!! From a quick look at the online charts it looks like a 1976. Those tuners are different than any I have seen, maybe several styles were optional. But really doesn't make any difference. The wear marks on the neck, doesn't hurt a thing. Out of curiosity, I'd ask the owner about them.

Never seen a neck angle problem on any Mark V's nor have I had to adjust "action" (and I'm pretty fussy). I know it's different than a steel stringer.

Bring Cash!! You don't get much for $500 these days and if you do, well, you know where it's made.

Tom

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's only 55 serial numbers newer than my D-25M! If there are no major issues, it seems like a great price for a Mark V.

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
Well, there's no NGD coming from me (at least today). I checked out the Mark V today and decided to walk away. I appreciate all of your wise words and assistance. I think it helped me to make a clear decision to steer away from purchasing the guitar. The website that Chris listed above is fantastic for setup specs specifically for a classical guitar. I followed the advice on the site and the The Mark V didn't meet what I was looking for. The saddle was as low as it would go, and with a Spanish heel I didn't feel like taking the risk.

You all are a tremendous resource. Thank you again

silverfox103

Reaction score
If I didn't already have too many Mark guitars, I would buy that "sight unseen". The USPS money would be in that mail. I've owned Mark V's for 36 years, there is nothing wrong with that guitar. As for the Spanish foot, be glad it's there, you wont have a problem with the neck.

Tom

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
I understand, but with the action high (even for a classical) and saddle as low as it can go, I decided to hold onto my money. I'm sure it will find a home with someone else.