I bought a DV-52

jmascis

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought a DV-52 (natural satin? Is this the S model?) today for $950 online. It is described as "excellent condition".
I feel that's a pretty good price if true. We'll see. I tried some Martin HD-28 guitars in a local shop last month and liked them a lot, but the G string sounded really tinny and thin to me. I read the DV-52 has a similar sound but more bass. I bought this thing sight unseen so I'm a bit nervous!

Anyway, the guy showed me photos of it, and in the soundhole it says DV-52 (no S). So is this thing truly an S? Is the S less desirable? What types of strings do you recommend on this guitar? I like a nice full, warm sound and do both finger picking and strumming.

I've been playing a Yahama FG-400a from the 90s and it's killing my hand (sounds good, but a beast to play), so I had to get a good value acoustic and settled on this one. The Yamaha was my first and only acoustic guitar. Got it at 15 and I'm in my 40s now...so this is a big step up.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Some of the DV-52's were satin finish, not sure they were always designated with an "S." Does this one have inlaid Herringbone or abalone soundhole purfling ring? The older ones (early '90's) had herringbone purfling.

The DV-52 was a step up from the D-50's of that day, and one step down from the D-55. Later, Guild (Fender) eliminated the DV-52 and incorporated all the DV-52 upgrades into the D-50, making them essentially the same guitar.

If it's in good shape, you got a nice deal at $950. You're going to love not having to fight it to play it like that Yamaha.

You'll get lots of opinions on strings but my DV-52 is strung with D'Addario phosphor bronze mediums, and it rings like a bell. Sustain all the way into next month.

Welcome to the Guild family, and send us some photos when you can!

Last edited:

jmascis

Reaction score
Thanks! Is there anything wrong with the satin models?
Also, with regard to strings, do you know if it came from the factor with mediums? I prefer mediums to lights, but I don't want to put extra pressure on the neck b/c i heard these necks are a real bear to do resets on.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Yamaha was my first and only acoustic guitar. Got it at 15 and I'm in my 40s now...so this is a big step up.

Welcome, and that's a nice way to start your Guild "problem". You see, I too started with my Yamaha years ago, picked up my first Guild 30 years later, found this place, and the rest is ... well...perhaps best explained by checking my signature.

Sigh.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I owned a Westerly 2001-2002 DV-52 just before Guild moved to Corona. The only reason I'm 'okay' with having sold it is because I have replaced it with a DV-72. I have to say that the DV-52's construction made it sing across all of the strings. The bottom on it was outstanding! I'm sure you're going to love the way it sounds. I used to have a 1970 Martin D-28. The DV-52 IMHO outperformed the Martin, hands down. Its balanced tone was the key factor, and when you needed the bass, it was always there. Welcome to LTG!

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Your new to you DV-52 should be a wonderful instrument.
When you get it, have it set up for your playing style.
Start out with light gauge strings because they are easier to play than medium gauge strings.
I like Martin Lifespan strings. They last a very long time and sound very natural for treated strings.

Your old Yamaha may have a very high action due to it's age.
Necks tend to bow with age, which may cause the guitar to need a neck re-set.

You will love your Guild but be sure the action is set up properly for you.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG.... and enjoy your new (to you) DV-52!
(I'd try John Pearse 600L PB lights or 710NM PB new mediums on it!)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought a DV-52 (natural satin? Is this the S model?) today for $950 online. It is described as "excellent condition".

HI "J", welcome aboard!
I think satin was the standard finish when the DV52's were introduced so guessing an early model may not have the "S" on the label.
Early models have the herringbone rosette, and I think they designated the gloss models with "HG" when that became available (like Dreadnut's "DV52 Antique Burst High Gloss" from '99).
D4's followed a similar progression, but we've gotten used to Guild being somewhat inconsistent in their labeling conventions.

Last edited:

jmascis

Reaction score
thanks for the info, guys. this is the one i bought: https://reverb.com/item/5381893-guild-usa-dv52-2000-natural-satin

let me know how i did. it sounded good to me in the auction. i'm a bit worried about the action because the guy didn't have a tool to measure it, but he said the neck is great and doesn't need a reset or any signs of that.

mr cohen, i believe we spoke on reverb.com about your guitar. i tried to buy it, but it was gone.

tarheelguild

Reaction score
That is a nice guitar you got indeed! I was thinking of getting a DV52 as well but I fell in love with an antique-burst D30 I also saw on Reverb. Check 'er out:

https://reverb.com/item/5041344-pri...sunburst-manufactured-in-westerly-ri-exc-cond

I had it set up and now it plays like a dream. Wasn't sure if I'd like the maple but it has a really nice deep, but focused and bright tone.
Congrats on your DV52!

Tony

'96 D4 NT
'96 D25 CH (Al, the date stamped on the neck block is 10/28/96!)
'98 D225 NT
'98 D30 AB
'84 D40 NT
'00 Taylor 414 CE

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, congrats on the nice DV-52 (and also on that D-30 Tony!)

One nice thing about the satin finish; it's less prone to showing fingerprints, light scratches, etc.

Neal

Reaction score
Looks like a nice tall saddle on it, always a good sign. If the action is high, looks like there is plenty of saddle left to lower it.

Looks to be from 1998 or 1999, based on the serial #. Hard to say, as reliable serial #'s are hard to come by '98-'01.

jmascis

Reaction score
Neal;1764623If the action is high said:
Is that a sign it needs a neck reset? That's my biggest fear with it.

Lowering the saddle is a band-aid solution for an improper neck angle, correct? That's how I always have viewed it.

frenchie

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum J, and what a nice score.

Looking at the photos, there doesn't appear to be any issues with that DV52. If you don't get on with the satin finish you'll be pleased to know that it can be buffed up to a high gloss if you prefer. Which is what I did to my 94 JV52.

Steve.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Well, that looks gorgeous! Love the abalone rosette! There's nothing wrong with natural satin. It's a personal preference thing. Gloss is just, well, more glossy.

As mentioned, depending on how easy or hard the action is, you might want to have a pro give it a setup with the new strings, so the action is ideal. Man, you're going to love that thing compared to your old Yamaha!

Neal

Reaction score
Is that a sign it needs a neck reset? That's my biggest fear with it.

Lowering the saddle is a band-aid solution for an improper neck angle, correct? That's how I always have viewed it.

Lowering the saddle is not a band aid. Saddles from the factory usually come nice and tall so that they can be periodically sanded down a little as the guitar's geometry changes over time. It is part of a set-up (the other two variables being string height at each nut slot, and the degree of relief in the neck, adjustable by a turn of the truss rod).

From the photos provided, I see lots of saddle left, which is a good thing, assuming that the action is anywhere near where it is supposed to be (and it is hard to say for sure, but the photos certainly do not suggest that the action is high).

A set up costs about $50. A good guitar tech will file the nut slots for optimal string height, then adjust the saddle, after providing just a tad of relief to the neck via the truss rod.

jmascis

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

What gauge string came on these from the factory?

jmascis

Reaction score
Thanks, Neal. I put mediums on my old Yamaha and within a few years it needed a neck reset. I think it was just too much tension. Bridge began to lift and the guitar bellied.
That's my concern. I love mediums (kinda hate the thin sound of lights). But since Guilds are so difficult to neck reset, I want to give it the gauge it was built to withstand. The guy is shipping it with .12-.56, so light on the high E and pretty heavy on the low E. Seems a bit heavy to me for the low E, but I'll see when I get it.

I'll have the luthier look it over and give me a string recommendation as well. Just wondering how they came stock from Guild.

If I put mediums on I'd probably tune to Eb to take some tension off. That's an option.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Neal. I put mediums on my old Yamaha and within a few years it needed a neck reset. I think it was just too much tension. Bridge began to lift and the guitar bellied.
That's my concern. I love mediums (kinda hate the thin sound of lights). But since Guilds are so difficult to neck reset, I want to give it the gauge it was built to withstand. The guy is shipping it with .12-.56, so light on the high E and pretty heavy on the low E. Seems a bit heavy to me for the low E, but I'll see when I get it.
Right.
I'm notorious for championing D'Addario EJ-16 lights, .012-.053 pb. (Guild doesn't offer strings any more, last I checked)
D'A actually made Guild's L350 set during that time with one variation: Guild's L350's had an .025 G string.
I used the Guilds or D'A's since day one ( I bought it new) and buy an .025 single to sub into the D'A set, and my 20+year old D25's neck's still perfectly aligned.
So I back your decision to go with lights to preserve the neck set.
Guild shipped all their dreads with L350's from at least '96 through end of Corona, it's on all the spec sheets.
Set up height from Westerly was 5.5-6/64th on bass E at 12th fret and 4.5-5/64ths on treble.
All 3 of mine came out of the box that way and I love it.

Last edited: