I bought a DV-52

jmascis

Reaction score
At a minimum, the guitar is in need of a neck reset plus the block slippage needs to be attended to, along with possible brace issues.

That is not shipping damage...not saying there isn't other shipping damage...but it's also likely that the seller, like many people, is not all that aware of changes in the geometry of guitars...under tension they try to fold up on themselves...seller's lucky the box got squashed...he may be able to get a refund...but he does have to refund you...that's his responsibility...check with reverb to see if they have a policy regarding return shipping.

For reference, almost all older acoustic guitars either need a reset, or have had one...nature of the beast...and it's quite expensive, especially with Guild's construction techniques.

If you can't afford the necessary work on a used instrument, you might want to look at new instruments that come with warranties...or at least stick with local sellers where you can have the instrument checked out by a luthier before purchase.

Good luck resolving the problem.

Yes, I was aware of neck reset issues, and asked many questions about that beforehand for that exact reason, and was told all was good.
I put a straight-edge up against the bridge, and it hits just below. So it is okay, but it doesn't slide over the bridge like an ideal angle would. The body also had some swelling/unevenness to it behind the bridge. I'd say it's in fair condition if I were selling it, not excellent.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think in this case reverb.com is the shipper, because he purchased UPS shipping through them. That's what I was told. And they're trying to see if UPS will cover any damage.

Thanks for all the information on UPS and your opinion to ship it back. I will do that.

I just dealt with this situation myself, as the seller. $300 guitar was apparently damaged during shipping, or knocked out of its setup because the buyer complained it buzzed. (?) Whatever. He apparently complained to reverb that the guitar was "not as described" so he wouldn't have to pay for return shipping (which I guess was one of the options at my "store" - soon to be removed! In fact, I'm not going to offer automatic returns anymore.). My position was that the guitar was certainly "as described" when I shipped it! Anyway, reverb asked me if we could resolve the situation if THEY paid for the guy's return shipping. Fine, I want nothing more to do with the guy. The guitar is due tomorrow. I'll be interested to see what shape it's in. I had it insured for $500....

The moral of the story: YOU shouldn't have to pay for return shipping. (Although the seller may not have been offering to pay return shipping if the item was "not as described.") Worth looking into in any case!

Reaction score
I sold my Guild DV52 to Richard (above) a few years ago and through sheer luck I was offered the chance to buy it back from another individual whom Richard had sold the DV52 to. Now it's back home where it belongs. I bought this Guild DV52 from the original owner because I really wanted a C.F. Martin & Co. D-28 but the cost was pretty high and it was a challenge saving up to buy a brand new one. So, I got this Guild DV52 and I must say it's better than the D-28. Way better.

jmascis

Reaction score
I sold my Guild DV52 to Richard (above) a few years ago and through sheer luck I was offered the chance to buy it back from another individual whom Richard had sold the DV52 to. Now it's back home where it belongs. I bought this Guild DV52 from the original owner because I really wanted a C.F. Martin & Co. D-28 but the cost was pretty high and it was a challenge saving up to buy a brand new one. So, I got this Guild DV52 and I must say it's better than the D-28. Way better.

I bought a HD-28 after returning the guild, and had to return that. It was way too chimey. Might be cool in a full band setting where you need huge jangly volume, but didn't sound very good strummed on the couch. Guild was much better.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I bought my DV-52 from a pawn shop, online, it arrived minty, except the saddle was sanded way down. New saddle at Elderly Instruments, killer guitar. I told my wife "That's it; this is the one." Actually it's way more guitar than I had ever hoped to own. But I've owned my D-25M since I bought it new in'76, so I was already happy. The D-25 was Guild's entry level dread at the time. Not much bling, but it sure does ring!

Oh cool, I can't post my photobucket photos. Those bastards.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have had a couple DV52s over the years. I agree with the assessment that it is similar to a D-28 except for the scalloped bracing of the Guild. My first one was a 1997 and my other one was a 2000 -- which was sunburst and had a BIG bottom. That one I traded straight up for my New Hartford D40. It was a fair price. Both guitars are outstanding. The 1997 was bass light -- which is unusual for these guitars. I sold it outright on this forum. Both sounded great with EJ16s....