DV-72 versus D-55

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bob Taylor is famous for automating many of the guitar building processes with CNC machinery and so forth, which insures consistency and repeatability of the parts. These are key characteristics in manufacturing of any sort because it allows you to build stuff with a high degree of predictability. However, the sound of instruments built to the exact same specifications are only predictable to a point because, as others have pointed out, each piece of wood is different.
What ^^^ he said! And all Taylors do not sound alike. Or was Al just being snarky again? LOL!!

Low fruit on the humor tree, indeed!! :encouragement:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Snd them both to me and I'll do a proper analytical write up. For free! :adoration:

And right now the only acoustic I own is a Taylor. Why? Because it's magic and sounds better than any other acoustic I've ever played. Prove me wrong. Send me your Guilds. :adoration:

_B0Z3762-CropAlt_800.jpg

_B0Z3770-CropAlt_800.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Snd them both to me and I'll do a proper analytical write up. For free! :adoration:

And right now the only acoustic I own is a Taylor. Why? Because it's magic and sounds better than any other acoustic I've ever played. Prove me wrong. Send me your Guilds. :adoration:

_B0Z3762-CropAlt_800.jpg

_B0Z3770-CropAlt_800.jpg

very nice Taylor, GAD! Koa? The nicest acoustic guitar I ever had in my hads was Taylor. it was literally like the guitar was playing itself. And they do have that Taylor tone, not each identical, but they do all have the same type of sound, which is very much in the spirit of Dave Matthews, or so it seems to my ears.

Guilds have thier sound too. I think most Guilds would sound so different from GADs koa Taylor that a "comparison"couldnt really be done, more like personal preference based on tone and/or playing style and personal compatibility with each specific guitar. it's what makes us all different!

Neal

Reaction score
Except that Dave Matthews doesn't play Taylors anymore.

He has purchased an arsenal of Rockbridge Guitars, built right here in the middles of Charlottesville, Dave's and my hometown.

Word has it that he owns ten, which would be about 1/60th of all Rockbridges out there.