DV-72 versus D-55

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
This question has probably been debated already. Does anyone have an opinion when comparing the build quality and sound of the DV-72 and D-55. I realize there are a number of factors that affect one's opinion. such as which build of the D-55 are you comparing. Also, what strings are on each will be a factor. I have a Corona build D-55, and feel that the two are pretty close in terms of sound quality. The DV-72, to my ear, sounds a bit brighter in tone, but that might be due to different string manufacturer and how long the strings have been on the guitar.

Neal

Reaction score
I think a controlled study is in order.

Eliminate as many independent variables as you can. Same strings, same gauge, both sets fresh, played in exactly the same place, recorded on the same equipment at the same level, same tune.

I plan on doing this with my F-50 and F-50R, as soon as I get a chance.

Also with my two mahogany dreadnoughts, an '07 Rockbridge and an '09 Huss & Dalton.

Perhaps the "losers" get sent packing. Or perhaps each will record its own special voice and I'll keep them all!

The Darwinian guitar experiment continues.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
IMHO, the DV-72 has more overtones, which is what you might have described as "brighter".
Note that I have never owned a D55 but played a few, and it is quite possible that it has a tad more projecting power than the DV, but this remains to be verified on an A/B test under the conditions described by all-too-often-correct Neal above.

So it's kinda like the difference between a Cabernet and a Cote du Rhone, so that everyone can have a clearer understanding. :tongue:

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Thanks Neal and BluesPicky for your lucid thoughts. Perhaps after a glass or two of a fine French wine, we'll decide the differences don't matter after all --- there two great guitars.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Probably it would make most sense to compare the DV72 to a D55 of the same year. Otherwise, a comparison/timeline of all the D55 variations would be a neat resource to have too.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I have played several different DV-72/73" and several D-55's.
No two sounded the same.
They all have a similar tone but each one has it's own voice.

Build quality looked to be great on all of them.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So it's kinda like the difference between a Cabernet and a Cote du Rhone, so that everyone can have a clearer understanding. :tongue:

Gimme a Nouveau Beaujolais or even Valpolicella.
I like 'em fruity and light like a nice maple archback.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've had experience with a couple of D-55s (mine and Taylor Martin Guild's), a couple of DV-72s (my 72 MK and my "blue" 72), and a couple of DV-73s (mine and one owned by a friend of Taylor Martin Guild... the one that introduced me to and started my obsession with the DV-7X models).

All of my five past and present Westerly rosewood dreads had their individual voices... each different, but not in a way that could be described as "better." My three DVs, tho' each having similarities in their tonal characteristics, are each different... even the two DV-72s built just months apart! My conclusion... individual variation may be as great as model to model variation. More detailed comments can be found in these threads...

See my comments re: D-55 vs DVs in this thread: D-100 vs D-55

See my comments re: DVs compared to D-55

Here's my A/B/C comparison of my D-50, D-55, and DV-73...

Here's my A/B/C/D comparison of my D-50, D-55, DV-73, and DV-72MK...

My initial thoughts on my "blue" DV-72...

kostask

Reaction score
When making something of non-uniform materials (wood, in this case) it is a near impossibility that there would be the same end result. Add in the minor (bordering on microscopic) variations possible in an acoustic guitar (brace wood stiffness, weight and dimensions, bridge height and mass, exact neck angles, saddle and nut density variations, finish thickness, just to name a few) and tonal variations should be expected, and if they were not there, it would be akin to a miracle.

Quality acoustic guitars must be thought of as individualistic; their model designation may identify their build specifications (wood used, bracing type, trim), but the tone will be individual to each guitar, even with guitars that have consecutive serial numbers within a model.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Add in the minor (bordering on microscopic) variations possible in an acoustic guitar (brace wood stiffness, weight and dimensions, bridge height and mass, exact neck angles, saddle and nut density variations, finish thickness, just to name a few) and tonal variations should be expected, and if they were not there, it would be akin to a miracle.
And it drives Bob Taylor nuts.

Neal

Reaction score
Having all that said, I was amazed to find out how similar a D-55 and an F-50R sound, at least in my limited experience.

kostask

Reaction score
Al,

I am sure that he would like nothing more than to have a set of specifications that would result in guitars having the exact same sound, but wood doesn't work that way. How a piece of wood, whether it be a top (spruce, cedar, male mahogany, or what have you) or back/side wood will resonate differently from the next piece of wood, even if it cut from the same billet and is the next piece over. Just the nature of the beast. Handbuilders strive to optimize the sound of the guitar, not for a uniform sound, and that takes time. Bob Taylor, who builds guitars in a factory, really doesn't, and probably can't, take that amount of time to optimize his guitars.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al...
Bob Taylor, who builds guitars in a factory, really doesn't, and probably can't, take that amount of time to optimize his guitars.

Okay I gotta admit it was a low-blow to a guy with admirable philosophies, credentials, and experience.
It was just a grab for the low fruit on the humor tree.
But it sure do seem like he's trying to get the miraculous consistency we do agree is basically impossible to achieve and I question whether it's even actually "desirable".
@Merlin:
We keep hearing that as a complaint about the Taylor "sound":
They all the sound the same.
Like the Dave Matthews Band.
Am I missing something?

Neal

Reaction score
Except that Dave Matthews now plays Rockbridge Guitars exclusively.

And not as an endorser. He pays for each of them.

westerlyborn

Reaction score
Guitars, like people, are unique individuals. I think you are missing the point. Science has no place in music. --Just a thought- don't get mad.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guitars, like people, are unique individuals. I think you are missing the point. Science has no place in music.

If they knew how, they'd all be building Stradivariuses; or would that be Stradivarii?

kostask

Reaction score
They have tried to inject some science into it, with little success. The use of Chladni (glitter) patterns to tap tune guitars, which lead to the Kascha bracing system is probably the most famous. Neither one did anything significant to advance the state of guitar building. Part of it is the sheer number of variables in the guitar itself, the other part is that people all hear things differently, or if you would like to put it a different way, are looking for a different "ideal guitar sound". Some may say that a 000/OM is perfect, while somebody in a bluegrass band may see it as lacking in bass. Somebody playing fast finger style music may want a faster note decay, while a flat picker paying folk music may want a longer sustain, and so on. So, individual guitars vary in tone, as do people listening to them.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bob Taylor is famous for automating many of the guitar building processes with CNC machinery and so forth, which insures consistency and repeatability of the parts. These are key characteristics in manufacturing of any sort because it allows you to build stuff with a high degree of predictability. However, the sound of instruments built to the exact same specifications are only predictable to a point because, as others have pointed out, each piece of wood is different.