Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Amp For the Thunderbird Reissue (S-200 T-Bird)

Good Amp For the Thunderbird Reissue (S-200 T-Bird)

Hi Guys,

Time to start the amp hunt! Here's what I'm working with:

GUITAR
    I recently picked up a Guild T-Bird S-200. (Reissue of 1960s Guild Thunderbird - Funky "gumby" shaped body).

The guitar has a LB-1 Little Bucker pickups. I got the guitar because I wanted a low warm tone, but couldn't handle the weight of a les paul. I especially like playing through the neck pickup.

OTHER GEAR
    Boss Reverb pedal
    Electro harmonix Qtron Mini Envelope Follower
    Catalinbread Octa***** Fuzz

NEEDED: THE AMP
    I know nothing of amps, to be honest. But here's what I'm looking for:

-Something that will really bring out the humbuckers for the warm tones of my guitar
    -Is compatible with my pedals (will purchase more in the future)
    -Is the appropriate size for playing at low volumes and getting the most sound. I live in an apartment with folks below me, and can't crank up the volume. I have a 60 watt bass amp I am playing through and it is way to loud - the volume is kept nearly at zero and I just can't get the pedals or the guitar to show their true sounds/tone.

Price range - Under $1000 if possible, but want something that's of good quality that will last and will bring out the guitar's tones.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks for your help and feel free to throw me some questions.

Zach

Playing out?
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

No. It would be nice to be able to take to jam with friends with a drumset present, but mostly in my room/around the house.

Fender Champ, VHT Special Six Ultra. Your basic 5 watt tube amp, or you can go the digital modeling route, which will cost you a couple or three bills.

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."

I agree with the Fender Champ recommendation; great little amp. Also, look at the Princeton Reverb reissue, big enough for small jams or gigs, but still sounds good at apartment levels.
    Shihan= Dennis

Vox AC-10 looks interesting too. Looks like about 450 ameros.

Among current tube amps I'd check out Fender's Blues Jr. or the Princeton Reverb reissue. I'd also look out for a used Vox Pathfinder 15R if you're okay with solid state. The Pathfinder shouldn't run you more than US$150 or so and at that price is an absurdly good deal. Mine hangs just fine with all my tube oldies, and has a mid-forward voice that works well with my T-bird.

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 Thunderbird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

+1 for the princeton reverb reissue.
    my 2 ct, all the best,
    michael.

* '81 D-46
    * '84 Pilot SB-602
    * '86 T-250
    * '87 Nightingale
    * '89 Pilot SB-602FL
    * '94 Crossroads CR-01
    * '98 Starfire IV 1/2
    * '13 GSR T-400
    ...some more stuff and
    myself. ;)

*official WUZZATONE (made by Coastie99) endorser*

If you want a little more grind, maybe a Marshall Class 5. Also, the Vox Night Train series are a good buy; the 15w can be switched to 7w, and has a clean or dirty switch.
    Chris
    ---
    '56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '61 M-20, '62 F-20, '64 S-50 Jetstar, '64 Mark II, '65 SFIV, '71 S-90, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVp, '81 M-80,
    '82 S-275, '86 T-250, '88 Detonator, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird, '99 F-30, '16 NS S-200 Thunderbird
    '54 Masteramp, '60 99j, '63 200-S, '66 Thunderbass, '69 Thunderstar, '92 G-500
    Acorn House
    '08 Parlor, '10 Butternut Deuce, '13 Rounder, '14 Kulakeiki

'94 G&L Legacy
    '03 Elder Lute
    ---
    http://acornhouseworkshop.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AcornHouse View Post
    If you want a little more grind, maybe a Marshall Class 5. Also, the Vox Night Train series are a good buy; the 15w can be switched to 7w, and has a clean or dirty switch.
    yep, not bad, but both are a bit special, and hard to keep clean with a louder drummer.
    my 2 ct, all the best,
    michael.

* '81 D-46
    * '84 Pilot SB-602
    * '86 T-250
    * '87 Nightingale
    * '89 Pilot SB-602FL
    * '94 Crossroads CR-01
    * '98 Starfire IV 1/2
    * '13 GSR T-400
    ...some more stuff and
    myself. ;)