what gauge for 2010 F50 Standard?

krugjr

Reaction score
searched a little but nothing popped up....you all are quicker....ha ha.....I'm thinking medium is the factory recommended gauge for the 2010 F50 Standard....is that correct? thanks.....

Neal

Reaction score
That is what mine came with. I have HD Lights on it right now, but will go back to mediums with the next string change.

krugjr

Reaction score
thanks, Neal.......got mine from a great guy who has always played mostly electric...he had "extra light" Martins on it.....almost want to go JP New Med (between light and med) for a while, thinking the neck might not adjust right away to full med. but what do I know.......but then again, this is a Guild, built to take anything right?

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
To me, there is never a question about what gauge strings go on a Jumbo or a Dread. For me, it's always Medium, always. Now, brand, that can be up for debate.

But then again, what the hell do I know.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
To me, there is never a question about what gauge strings go on a Jumbo or a Dread. For me, it's always Medium, always. Now, brand, that can be up for debate.

I agree with Richard about the mediums, but then again, what the hell does he know? lol

By the way, my go-to strings are D'Addario phosphor bronze mediums, they'll make that F-50 ring like a bell.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I can get by with Lights, but prefer Mediums. DAddario EJ17s are my favorite. (I buy 'em in 25-count boxes.)

I've never been happy with the sound of Extra Lights on an acoustic instrument.

krugjr

Reaction score
thanks for the info, opinions, and suggestions.....

dreadnut...are your go-to strings coated or un coated?

I re-strung and strummed it last night for the first time and it is quite impressive.....I've never played an F50 before.....like many have said here in past threads it should be a good compliment to my F50R.....I've had and sold the D40BG, and the D50BG, and I played a couple of D55s and didn't buy, but this one may stick with me, probably get electronics later.....man, what a VALUE this guitar is compared to the market in this price range!!!!! Orphs, J200s and Taylors have come and gone, but this F50 may have found a home!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Krug, Congrats on finally getting a New Hartford Maple Jumbo! The factory strings for that guitar were listed as Daddario EXP17's which are coated Medium 13-56 Phosphor Bronze strings. Those would be the same strings listed for your F50R from the factory as well. I have found on my F50 Maple that uncoated EJ17's allow more of the note clarity to come through in comparison to the EXP coated models. On a different note I have recently put Elixir Nanoweb coated Phosphor Bronze strings on mine and they really bring out the sparkle in that guitar without sacrificing the wonderful low end growl that it has. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy your new addition!

TX

krugjr

Reaction score
mornin', TX.....I will try the D'Addarios and the Elixers and my go-to John Pearse, as well as the Monels.....I have nothing but time, and the F50 will get most of my playing time now for a while so I can continue to "break it in" as they say.....it is absolutely mint and has very little playing time on it...the previous owner played mostly electric and hardly used the F50, and then wanted a new electric so the timing was perfect for me.....the "action" was about right when I unpacked it, but when the extra-lights came off and the mediums went on the action obviously came up a bit.....so I just twist that truss rod to the right, tighten up that neck, and bring those strings down a touch, is that right? I have less than an hour on it so far, and haven't played it at full volume (wife sleeping and all) but the maple jumbo seems to give me a little bit of many guitars I've played, the Gibsons, the Taylors, the Martins, all while defining a true Guild sound.....last month I bought the DTAR multi-source pickup from Shoreline during a pretty good sale thinking I will use it in the future.....maybe it will be for this F50.....two questions while I have your attention: what tuners are a perfect match (no drilling) if I should choose to go with gold? and just because I still have a couple of the saddles we picked up for the Orpheums, are they a fit for the F50 if I would need a saddle for it down the road? thanks again for guiding me in the right direction...

Last edited:

merlin6666

Reaction score
Definitely medium gauge for a big guitar. Maybe also try the new nickel bronze NB strings from d'Addario. I find that they sound almost like uncoated PB but last longer than coated PBs. For me that's worth the extra cost.

And I'm looking for a couple of Orpheum saddles so if you have spares would be pleased to take them.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I agree with Richard about the mediums, but then again, what the hell does he know? lol

By the way, my go-to strings are D'Addario phosphor bronze mediums, they'll make that F-50 ring like a bell.

Here's a question to noodle over. What is the difference between D'Addario EJ17 and EJ24? The former is labelled "Medium Gauge" with gauges .013 -- .056; the latter is labelled "True Medium Gauge" with gauges .013 -- .056.

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's a question to noodle over. What is the difference between D'Addario EJ17 and EJ24? The former is labelled "Medium Gauge" with gauges .013 -- .056; the latter is labelled "True Medium Gauge" with gauges .013 -- .056.
The a/d/g strings are different diameter. Look here

Markus :smile:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Slap a set of mediums on it; "Made To Be Played." Play the daylights outta that thing. And have fun.

MLBob

Reaction score
The a/d/g strings are different diameter. Look here

Markus :smile:

Thanks for posting that link Markus. Those are exactly the D'Addario gauges I've been ordering in single strings from my Luthier. Didn't know they had a set in those specific gauges.

Bob

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

so you guys think EJ17s on my D25, which is 46 years old now, the neck and everything be ok by added tension vs lights? I cannot stand the custom lights so will be changing soon.

thanks

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't speak for you, Wood, my D-25 is only 41 years old, lol.