American Epic Guild content

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
On the 3rd episode of PBS' American Epic, there's Guild content aplenty during the sequence on Mississippi John Hurt with both (I believe) an F-20 and F-30. Also, a Guild dread at the end of the Hawaiian music segment.
http://www.pbs.org/show/american-epic/

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am amused. I was in the midst of posting something about this yesterday and ran out of time.

Mississippi John Hurt is shown with two different Guilds - a natural top and a sunburst. He was rediscovered in the 1960's and the Guilds used should predate his death in 1966. Google search (and that's why I ran out of time) turns up several shots from the same session with the sunbust. I'm sure someone less distracted could turn up clear shots.

Mrs. Fro. and I thought we saw a Guild headstock in the Hawaiian segment but weren't sure.

Ignoring the Guild content, the information content was pretty interesting and it is worth checking local PBS listings...

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am amused. I was in the midst of posting something about this yesterday and ran out of time.

Mississippi John Hurt is shown with two different Guilds - a natural top and a sunburst. He was rediscovered in the 1960's and the Guilds used should predate his death in 1966. Google search (and that's why I ran out of time) turns up several shots from the same session with the sunbust. I'm sure someone less distracted could turn up clear shots.
Here's the (I think) natural top F-30:
alper_mjhurt.jpg

And the sunburst (I think) F-20:
Mississippi%20John%20Hurt_1.jpg

Or maybe they are an F-40 and an F-30.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
John Hurt's sunburst Guild is an F-30. Not sure about the other one. I've read he used a borrowed Martin for his Vanguard studio sessions while on the live Vanguard album he's playing the F-30.

-Dave-

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's what I thought. Does the natural one look a little bigger, or is it just the angle.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
John Hurt's sunburst Guild is an F-30. Not sure about the other one. I've read he used a borrowed Martin for his Vanguard studio sessions while on the live Vanguard album he's playing the F-30.

-Dave-

They both look like F30's to me, the natural topped one looks the same size under his arm, also, wouldn't an F40 from that period or before have block inlays?
It just looks too small in any case.
I think the 'guard's too narrow compared to what an F40 would have, due to the F30's narrower waist.
Here's a '73 on Reverb:
pddlr6h8mropx6tjq9ht.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And I believe the SB top shot is from Newport Folk Festival. I think Hans has it in his book.
Fast forward to the 1:13:00 mark and see the bit on MJH and the SB topped Guild F30 (?).

Last edited:

tommym

Reaction score
PBS - The American Epic Sessions

Saw this last night on PBS.

http://www.pbs.org/video/3001575276/

"......as they recreate America’s musical past using a recording lathe."

Hopefully some of you had the opportunity to watch it too. I found it very interesting.

Tommy

wileypickett

Reaction score
Episode Two has some Guild content. The contemporary Hawaiian ensemble features a guitarist on a Guild jumbo. And the segment on Mississippi John Hurt features him playing several guitars including two different Guilds. There's a color clip (the only color footage of Hurt) where he's playing a nice looking sunburst F30 (?). Recommended.