Florida is "Pool Party" territory!.... and everyone is invited.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Note to self: Always look in the pool first before jumping in.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not my idea of fun. Wrestling with a gator, that is. :)

They can be trained if you start 'em young enough.
aid431035-v4-728px-Choose-the-Right-Reptile-for-You-Step-3.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think I'll just stay up here, where everything freezes solid in the winter...

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
I distinctly recall a trip to that area many years back. The rental car was small & flimsy so I stayed off the freeway. While cruising down a side road where houses were split by a "canal" or other waterway in the back, I noted several houses with small docks or several small boats pulled up. One yard however had a very distinct different occupant between a small rowboat and a canoe...... about 10 feet of alligator! I pulled over for a second look and initially thought is was one of those gator shaped floats till it moved. Then I realized that same waterway came right up to the road I stopped on and I did not look at that side of the car.....Never did either but I got in the car & left. Many yards down that way to not have fences or complete fences surrounding the property so it is possible to have "visitors". Just like Disney does outside Orlando!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So I been binge watching The Glades on Netflix the past 2 weeks. Detective show. Great show, funny and smart, good characters. I bet that is right down near Pascal country...

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They can be trained if you start 'em young enough.
aid431035-v4-728px-Choose-the-Right-Reptile-for-You-Step-3.jpg

Just for reference this is a picture of a young Crocodile, Looking at the humps on the back it is possibly a Baby Caymen Crocodile. An Alligator has a much more rounded snout and Darker coloring. Both will chew you up if you get the chance but are completely different Animals in looks, Behavior, and even eating Habits.

Personally if that big old Gator was lounging in my pool (if I had a Pool) we would be getting out the propane burners, Big deep fryer pots, and starting to boil the corn and taters! He would have picked the wrong pool to relax in! Gator is some GOOD Eatin' if you know how to cook it!

TX

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just for reference this is a picture of a young Crocodile, Looking at the humps on the back it is possibly a Baby Caymen Crocodile. An Alligator has a much more rounded snout and Darker coloring. Both will chew you up if you get the chance but are completely different Animals in looks, Behavior, and even eating Habits.

Personally if that big old Gator was lounging in my pool (if I had a Pool) we would be getting out the propane burners, Big deep fryer pots, and starting to boil the corn and taters! He would have picked the wrong pool to relax in! Gator is some GOOD Eatin' if you know how to cook it!
TX

Correct about the gator/croc differences, if I can put my hands on one of my family members holding a baby gator (at one of the everglades boat tour we took a while back) I will post it to show the difference, but I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you on the gator meat here. Tried it at a local restaurant, and it left me regretting my menu pick.
But as they say, matter of taste of course...

CA-35

Reaction score
It's a Caiman, and that is denoted by it's color, not the osteoderms (bumps) on its back, which both crocs and gators have.

Also, crocodiles are notoriously more aggressive than alligators.

Txbumper: In Florida it's against the law to kill, capture or possess an alligator......you need a license........the state has to get their cut!!!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's a Caiman, and that is denoted by it's color, not the osteoderms (bumps) on its back, which both crocs and gators have.
Yeah I actually though it was a baby croc, I was going by the long skinny snout with the bulbous nose on the end but went ahead and posted it anyway since it was purely humorous.
But I see TX beat me to the punch (and surprised you didn't) about eatin' em if they turn out to be, er, resistant to training.
Regarding Pascal's experience, I've heard it said that freshness is everythingwhen it comes to alligator and I believe the cut is important too.
Or maybe it was tainted by chlorine?
:glee:

Txbumper: In Florida it's against the law to kill, capture or possess an alligator......you need a license........the state has to get their cut!!!!
Actually I think it is in Texas (and in fact everywhere they occur), too, seem to remember one of those "Game Warden" shows based in Texas dealing with a poacher, besides relocating nuisance animals.
Think it all goes back at least to the '50's , when poaching to take advantage of demand for alligator leather was big business.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah I actually though it was a baby croc, I was going by the long skinny snout with the bulbous nose on the end but went ahead and posted it anyway since it was purely humorous.
But I see TX beat me to the punch (and surprised you didn't) about eatin' em if they turn out to be, er, resistant to training.
Regarding Pascal's experience, I've heard it said that freshness is everythingwhen it comes to alligator and I believe the cut is important too.
Or maybe it was tainted by chlorine?
:glee:

Actually I think it is in Texas (and in fact everywhere they occur), too, seem to remember one of those "Game Warden" shows based in Texas dealing with a poacher, besides relocating nuisance animals.
Think it all goes back at least to the '50's , when poaching to take advantage of demand for alligator leather was big business.

You do need tags to hunt them here in Texas If I remember correctly. Uncle Sam Houston has to get his cut as well. However, In the case of the gator in the pool I believe in Texas I have the right to protect my family and my pets on my property. If he was in my pool and a direct threat to the Family I have every right to take care of the issue to avoid any imminent danger. Then if he wound up in the pots it would only be considered not letting anything go to waste. Seriously though on Gator meat, It does need to be fresh (The Fresher the Better) and it doesn't hurt to clean it very well before cooking as if you don't you can get a "Dirt" taste to the meat. If you taste Gator form some place that doesn't know how to prepare it properly it can be pretty bad. Here in Texas and I know Southern Louisiana it is legal to hunt them and cook them with the proper tags/permits.

As far as Identifying the bumps on the Caiman Croc's back, they are different shapes than the Aligator's. I know because I have 2 pairs of Caiman Croc Boots that I inherited from my Father when he pasted away.

TX

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seriously though on Gator meat, It does need to be fresh (The Fresher the Better) and it doesn't hurt to clean it very well before cooking as if you don't you can get a "Dirt" taste to the meat. If you taste Gator form some place that doesn't know how to prepare it properly it can be pretty bad.

TX, I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to "exotic" food, so I ordered "Gator Bites" the last time I was in a Cajun restaurant. Had a consistency just like a pencil eraser!

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
TX, I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to "exotic" food, so I ordered "Gator Bites" the last time I was in a Cajun restaurant. Had a consistency just like a pencil eraser!
Yup. And as far as the "gotta be cooked right" thing, I had mine at a Florida restaurant which prides itself in listing the gator as one of its specialties, so I'm gonna surmise they know how to prepare the darn thing... didn't make it taste any better to me.
Gotta try it to know if you like it. Won't eat gator again.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yup. And as far as the "gotta be cooked right" thing, I had mine at a Florida restaurant which prides itself in listing the gator as one of its specialties, so I'm gonna surmise they know how to prepare the darn thing... didn't make it taste any better to me.
Gotta try it to know if you like it. Won't eat gator again.

I don't blame you for not liking it Bluesypicky, Eating Gator from a restaurant in Florida is kinda like getting your sushi from a corner store gas station. LOL! If you ever get to Louisiana down around Acadiana (That is where Cajun Food is Really Cajun Food) they know haw to make it good. Ca c'est bon, Laisse les bons ton rouler! ;)

TX