F50R from 1970's

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to the Forum and had a 1964 F30 but have just bought a 1970's F50. It was described as that but I am wondering if it is an F50R since it has a flat back with inly down the centre. It has a beautiful rich tone but a faded serial number so I am trying to find out more about the model and model and history. If anyone can help big time, I could give an email address and could send some photos... Robin

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Robin, welcome to the forum. I'd be happy to help you, but you will likely need to set up a photobucket (or other) account somewhere to host your pictures so we can link to them. Hopefully, since you're a Guild lover, you'll continue to hang out here (and will want to share pictures) :)

For the time being, I'll send you a personal message to see if I can help you.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome, Robin.

Chaz will steer you in the right direction.

Generally speaking, in addition to having a one-piece back, the F-50 had Maple back and sides, where the F-50R was Rosewood. Unless a tinted finish was applied to the Maple, it would be a very lightly coloured wood.

Guild_F-50_Back.png

In contrast, the F-50R's 2-piece Rosewood back is coloured significantly darker.

Guild_F-50R_Back.png

Reaction score
Thanks all. Wow such speedy responses from enthusiasts - I like it! And you have already confirmed for me that it is an F50R, having taken the Rosewood back and sides into account. Now I just need to find the year and the history :) . The f50R needed some love and care as well as setting up and the guy who did it is Graham from Noden Guitars in Denmark Street, London, UK. A man who is fascinating to talk to. He re-alinged the neck and strengthened the back due to minor cracks and he reckons that after a few months of playing the full richness of tone will be back there. I will set about providing access to some photos of both guitars. I guess if I put in a Dropbox link to photos that will work?

Reaction score
Hi - not sure if my last reply got through but to provide a link to photos will Dropbox work on here? Robin

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Robin, Let me also say Welcome to LTG! Don't worry if your first few replies here on the forum don't show up right after you write and post them. A new member's first few posts have to be approved by a moderator before everyrone can see them to make sure you are a real person and not a bot.

I noticed you said that your guitars serial number and Model designation number have faded on the label. All Guilds from the 70's have the serial number stamped into the back of the headstock as well so if you can read that we can at least give you the year your guitar was built without pictures. If you will take a small light and shine it inside the soundhole up towards the neck Block area there should also be a date stamped in ink somewhere on the neck block itself in a visible position. This is the date that the Superstructure of your guitar was finished and from what others here on the forum have researched the guitar was normally finished and ready to ship for retail about 3 months give or take after that stamped date.

I know Chaz will take good care of you and I look forward to pictures of whichever F50 model you have. I Own both the Rosewood and Maple versions of the F50 and they are both Amazing instruments in their own right. Lots of similarities but still some significant differences as well. Once again, Welcome to LTG and hope to hear more from you in the future!

TX

Neal

Reaction score
Welcome.

The serial number for a '70's Guild will be all numbers, either 5 or 6 of them, depending on the year.

Unfortunately, that won't help you determine the model, as each Guild that came off the line in the '70's was given the next number in sequence, regardless of model.

But as Chaz says above, if it has back braces that can be seen inside the sound hole, and has dark, striped wood on the back and sides, it is a rosewood F-50R. If, looking through the soundhole, you see no braces, and the wood is blonde, it is an F-50.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If you will take a small light and shine it inside the soundhole up towards the neck Block area there should also be a date stamped in ink somewhere on the neck block itself in a visible position. This is the date that the Superstructure of your guitar was finished and from what others here on the forum have researched the guitar was normally finished and ready to ship for retail about 3 months give or take after that stamped date.
I don't think they did it on the heelblock in the '70's but there may be a stamp on the underside of the top, or one of its braces.
But the real expert, Hans Moust, is a member here and if you send him the s/n he should be able to nail it down for you:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/

Last edited:

GF60

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi - not sure if my last reply got through but to provide a link to photos will Dropbox work on here? Robin

Welcome Robin. You've got a couple of nice guitars. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. Which brings me to your question about Dropbox. No, that will not work. Pictures need to be hosted on a dedicated photo website, so they have a url. Websites such a Photobucket, Flickr etc. Then use the "Insert image" icon in the menu bar above the reply box.

Reaction score
Thanks all. I am right now travelling to Tuscany Italy for a guitar course run by Justin Sandercoe. Once I return home in a week I will post links to photos and update. Robin

Reaction score
Hi Chaz. I am back from my guitar course in Tuscany - it was great and so too was the F50. I thought it best if I provided a link to Dropbox to show you the images of the F50 but I guess need your email to invite to share. Is there a better way of showing you some images? On here is asks for a URL to show a jpg and I am not sure how to turn the jpg into a URL.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaz. I am back from my guitar course in Tuscany - it was great and so too was the F50. I thought it best if I provided a link to Dropbox to show you the images of the F50 but I guess need your email to invite to share. Is there a better way of showing you some images? On here is asks for a URL to show a jpg and I am not sure how to turn the jpg into a URL.
Hi Robin:
A "jpg" file is a file format for images that this forum's software supports.
The URL is the address of the .jpg file.
This forum needs the address to be able to show the image.
Here's an example of a URL:
http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/images/equipment/guitar/rm/77_rmstudio_guild12.jpg
The image is stored on a website called thewho.net (the "address"), and the actual image is "/77_rmstudio_guild12.jpg"
When you put that complete address (the URL) into the "insert image" dialog box, it will display here, like so:
77_rmstudio_guild12.jpg

But with Dropbox, the last time I tried to see a member's Dropbox images, it required a log-in, so that could be a problem for those of us who don't want to sign up.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i pm'd Robin earlier today wih my email address. if its just 2 guitars i can host the photos (for free) on my imageshack account. so feel free to send them along