Sgt. Pepper PBS special this Saturday

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
1968 https://youtu.be/S9fArMNddSA
Gilmour maybe just joined band. I like this stuff way better than the Wall.

He joined in December '67.
Somebody said here a long time ago that Gilmour easily mimiced Barrett's licks (they actually were both in the band for a short while).
Barrett was likely a casualty of the psychedelic wars like Brian Jones, if one assumes they didn't go into the experimentation brigades with already borderline personality disorders.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
if one assumes they didn't go into the experimentation brigades with already borderline personality disorders.

my guess is Barrett was already under some disorder the drugs only exacerbated. And correct me if wrong but Gilmour was an old friend of Barrett right? So it made sense for him to take over when Mr. Barrett just went over the edge and could not return. Still, that first Floyd album which is was a major contributor to was a watershed moment for that kind of music. I bet they made sure Sid had plenty of money when Floyd made it big with their stupid Wall album. Dark Side of the Moon was their last good one IMHO. I just not a fan, but I sure like Piper.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Count me as another Animals fan. The Floyd album, that is. Dogs in particular floats my boat. Gilmour gets great electric sounds all over the album with his Big Muff and Electric Mistress. :) He's pretty much stayed with that sonic palette ever since.

I like most of The Wall too, though it gets overwrought towards the end. Some fine individual songs there IMO.

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
my guess is Barrett was already under some disorder the drugs only exacerbated.
Yeah that's what I meant.
I suspect most folks who experienced bad reactions probably weren't good candidates for experimentation in the first place.
Not that I could really say who's a good candidate.
Maybe if you see monsters instead of bunnies in the Rorshach blots that'd be a clue?

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah that's what I meant.
I suspect most folks who experienced bad reactions probably weren't good candidates for experimentation in the first place.
Not that I could really say who's a good candidate.
Maybe if you see monsters instead of bunnies in the Rohrshach blots that'd be a clue?

And I remember reading his story post Floyd, basically lived at home all his days, got into gardening, showed up once to a Floyd recording session out of the blue. Lived a quiet life in a suburb or London??? I bet his days were like the same on to the next. Maybe he was an avid reader, who knows...similar to the dude who made the M20 famous, his name escapes me, also lived at home, not so much into the LSD and of course he took his own life, so Barrett's story happier at least. Ah Nick Drake.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Veering back ...

The Sgt. Pepper's box set arrived today (with the other CD I ordered - Kendrick Lamar's new release, Damn - I like those weird musical juxtapositions), and I just finished listening to the new stereo remix (remixed by George Martin's son, Giles).

Un. Be. Lieve. Able.

If all you've ever known is the crappy, last-minute US-only stereo remix, this will blow your mind.

You know how Paul's vocal on the opening track is somewhere over to the right and well-down in the mix? Well, it is front and center now, and gorgeous.

The simpler tracks (tracks not mixed down multiple times in an effort to do neat things with 4-track recording) like "She's Leaving Home" are particularly vivid.

The box set includes the original UK mono mix, the new stereo remix, two discs of outtakes, sessions, and "hey, let's try this..." and a DVD and Blu-Ray.

This is the aural equivalent of suddenly seeing in 4KUHD a beloved movie you thought only existed in 480i resolution.

I can't wait to work my way through the rest of this.

This is really great headphone fodder: I listened to FLAC rips played back through an AK100 and Grado SR225's.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
This is the aural equivalent of suddenly seeing in 4KUHD a beloved movie you thought only existed in 480i resolution.

Yup! I've listened to the 24/96 Blu-ray stereo mix (there's also a surround mix I haven't yet heard) a handful of times now. The extra sonic air is a knockout! Ringo's drums have so much attack and presence. At the same time it doesn't sound overly scrubbed. Imagine the mono mix with a realistic sounding stereo spread: that's what it's like.

Re. the extras: I love having the complete take 7 and take 26 of Strawberry Fields. And the Within You Without You sequence, with George teaching a part to one of the musicians, reveals just how deeply he was into Indian music. Takes 1 and 2 of A Day In The Life are cool too.

-Dave-

Last edited: