What's Wrong with my Amp and/or Pedal?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am very new to pedals and I am facing a problem.

I recently bought a Behringer Reverb Machine pedal and am using a 9V battery for power supply.
I am playing a solid body electric guitar with passive pickups through an old Fender Rumble 60 bass amp. Cables are brand new.

Standard Setup:
Guitar - cable - (pedal IN - pedal OUT) - cable - amp input (passive)

The pedal worked for around 30 minutes when I first got it and then all of a sudden, I started getting a popping sound in my amp. When the popping sound happens the blue light on the pedal turns off and there is no signal for a second. (During that second, my guitar does not play through the amp).

Though it never cuts off completely, it keeps turning on and off randomly and makes the popping sound in my speaker each time. This is an old amp that may be a little banged up but I've only had this problem since I've gotten the pedal.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Everything points to the pedal as being the problem. Does everything work if you let it cool down overnight? That could mean a component is heating up and causing a short. If it does it all the time now, it sounds like a component or a solder joint failed after the first 30 minutes.
Is the Behringer under warranty? I'd see about returning it.

Alan_M

Reaction score
Everything points to the pedal as being the problem. Does everything work if you let it cool down overnight? That could mean a component is heating up and causing a short. If it does it all the time now, it sounds like a component or a solder joint failed after the first 30 minutes.
Is the Behringer under warranty? I'd see about returning it.
I agree. It may be simple, like a faulty battery. In absence of that, if the pedal is in warranty, return it. Buy something other than a Behringer. (no offense).

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
.... Buy something other than a Behringer. (no offense).
I have to agree with this. Early on in my guitar career, I bought a Behringer amp for the school. I don't even know what closet we put it in anymore.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Agreed, and it's easy to isolate:

Everyone one is assuming the pedal because there is a rule in troubleshooting: "What changed?" Here's how we can be even more scientific:

First:

1. Try the guitar straight into the amp with one of the cables
  2. Try the guitar straight into the amp with the other cable

• If both of those work fine, it's something to do with the the pedal.
  • If one of them fails, it's the cable

Then:

1. Replace the battery and see if you get the same effect

• If yes, it's the pedal.
  • If no, it's the battery.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. After process of elimination and borrowing a buddy's pedals I've found that it is indeed the pedal. It's basically just a piece of junk. On to the Boss Reverb instead. Thanks guys!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No offense, but Behringer's indeed what's wrong with your pedal. Junk, from a company with a despicable business model.