Reaction score
this one expected I guess, still super sad. seen him play at least 50 times

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
this one expected I guess, still super sad. seen him play at least 50 times

Same here Eric. My first band was basically an Allman Brothers tribute band, back in 1973 when there weren't many (any?) tribute bands. We were pretty good, and even had two drummers! Thanks for providing a huge part of the soundtrack of my life, Gregg. :grey:

gilded

Reaction score
I saw the Brothers the last night the Fillmore East was open to the public in 1971. They came on about dawn, after Albert King and the J. Geils Band.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw the Brothers the last night the Fillmore East was open to the public in 1971. They came on about dawn, after Albert King and the J. Geils Band.

That's cool Harry! My old friend Mark Berner was there as well. I was a wee bit too young then...

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I was walking down the hallway of my dorm at college in the Fall of '71, when someone dropped the needle on side one of Live at Fillmore East. I spun around, walked into the room, introduced myself and said "who is that?". My musical life changed that day. I saw the Allman Brothers 'bout a dozen times between 1971 and '76, including Watkins Glen. Great memories!

Though it was kinda expected, this one stunned me. Thanks for the music, Gregg!

sailingshoes

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
RIP Gregg! Fabulous vocals and keyboards. Saw him in Seattle in '73 or '74. Brother Duane died on my 17th birthday, Oct 29, 1971.

Zelja

Reaction score
Sad, but not shocked as he was looking pretty frail recently. Great musician and wonderful soulful singer. RIP.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
He was an extremely talented musician, had a singing voice out of this world and was a super nice guy; what was not to love?.... RIP buddy and thanks for the giant musical footprint you left for all the generations to come.

crank

Reaction score
Over the last 2 days I have played every Allman Brothers song I know and some don't. I saw the Allman Brothers about a dozen times over the years starting around 1973. Always loved their music and Greg's voice as well as his B3 playing. My playing is heavily influenced by Dickey Betts and Duane Allman as well. Saw Greg Allman Band at Jones Beach just last summer and he still sounded great. His passing marks the end of an era for me.

RIP Greg.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last August I bought a copy of The Allman Brothers Live From A&R Studios. Recorded in August of '71 (about 6 months after Live At The Fillmore East), it was a live broadcast on New York's famed WPLJ, bootlegged for years, and now finally available commercially.

Never saw the Allman Brothers, but this is how I would have liked to - small venue, a couple of hundred in the audience, and the band at their absolute peak.

Its been in heavy rotation on my headphones, and every time I listen there are fresh "holy <expletive deleted>" moments.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Brother Duane was one of the best blues guitarists that ever lived, and he only lived to be 23. It's amazing that the band continued on with such success after he died; that says a lot about the talent of Gregg, Dickey Betts, et al.