Looking for Guild Acoustic Guitar Models Overview?

DVX135

Reaction score
Guild Total
Does anyone know of a site or document that has a summary of the different flattop models over the years? I'm playing my daughter's D30 right now (have been focusing on electric for the past 15 years) and need to get my own.

There have been so many models and variations of models, not to mention the new ones, that I don't even know where to start to begin narrowing the search.

Is there something anyone knows of that lists out the basic characteristics and typical uses for the various models? The closest Guild dealer is over an hour away, and I plan on going soon to start playing. But would like some understanding of older models so that I can at least have some idea if I end up buying one online

Any direction/assistance would be much appreciated.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess the first thing is, do you have a preference? Wood type? Body type?

You can't really go wrong with a D-25 or a D-40 (mahogany ). F-body jumbos are fun. I have an F-47 that is a cannon and a half. Are you interested in a twelvestring?
Google Guilds of Grot and you can see a bunch of goodness there.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I compiled a list of dreadnaught models from the Hoboken/Westerly years, including basic specs, and posted it as a blog page...
Info for this list came from Hans Moust's and Beesley's books, SN lists, and various threads here on LTG. I wouldn't consider the list complete...

Neal

Reaction score
Generally speaking, in the early years, there were two general flavors: F bodies (concert F-20, orchestra F-30, grand orchestra F-40 and jumbo F-50 that date back as early as 1953), and D bodies (dreadnought), starting in 1963.

But, Guild was notorious for changing model designations for the same guitar (for instance, your D-30 was previously known as a G-37!), and there were alao plenty of times when the model designation stayed the same, but the construction and/or tonewoods changed dramatically (the history of the D-25 being a classic example. It went from an all-mahogany flatback dread, to an all-mahogany archback dread, to a sitka-toped archback mahogany dread in the span of just a couple of years).

Last edited:

swiveltung

Reaction score
Be careful, different years may = different specs. Some models went to 1-5/8 narrow nut for a while, some models were 24.75 scale but changed to 25.5 scale too.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The Westerly Guild site is obviously not complete, but can be helpful.

http://westerlyguildguitars.com/

Second this as the best place to "get a start".
As others have cautioned specs were subject to change over time, and a lot of the spec sheets there have dates to help you know when those specs applied.
Notee when a back is spec'd as "Solid" it means a flatback, when not spec'd "solid" it means it's an archback like the D30.

As for actual "new" guitars, new owners Cordoba are making 'em in Oxnard CA and haven't introduced any truly new types but they tweaked the numbering system a little bit.

So far they've come out with a re-numbered F20 and M20, and a couple of versions of D40, with more on the way.
I wouldn't get too excited about going to a dealer unless they're actually carrying stock, and so far the US-built models are still pretty scarce on dealer shelves, it's been a problem for years because of low domestic production and constant factory relocation ever since '01.
I think we all assumed you were interested in US-builts so be aware the new Cordoba "Westerly Collection" guitars are all MIC.
Some dealers don't seem to be aware that it's a confusing name especially if they don't use the full correct title in their ads.

DVX135

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for all the responses, it's a place to start. I played (and still have) an Alvarez-Yairi twelve string for many years. I always loved the sound of the Guild jumbo body twelves! My daughter's D30 is all maple, and I really like the sound. Someone here in another post dated it at 2001.

I was hoping to find a quick overview of the various models. What's the difference between a D25/D30/D40/D50, and all the others? From the sounds of it, maybe many of these are similar, but just changed names?

Would prefer to get a used instrument. Not just for cost so much as the tone from aged wood. Would like to try out a jumbo body at some point, but really need to play something before I purchase.

The closest dealer to me is Elderly Music, in Lansing, MI. They've been around for many decades, and have a good reputation. I'd feel comfortable buying from them, and they have both used and new instruments.

No rush, so maybe the plan would be to make several visits and try out what they have and get a better feel for what's out there.

I mostly finger pick, but also use a pick for certain songs.

Thanks again.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, it's a place to start. I played (and still have) an Alvarez-Yairi twelve string for many years. I always loved the sound of the Guild jumbo body twelves! My daughter's D30 is all maple, and I really like the sound. Someone here in another post dated it at 2001.

I was hoping to find a quick overview of the various models. What's the difference between a D25/D30/D40/D50, and all the others? From the sounds of it, maybe many of these are similar, but just changed names?

Would prefer to get a used instrument. Not just for cost so much as the tone from aged wood. Would like to try out a jumbo body at some point, but really need to play something before I purchase.

The closest dealer to me is Elderly Music, in Lansing, MI. They've been around for many decades, and have a good reputation. I'd feel comfortable buying from them, and they have both used and new instruments.

No rush, so maybe the plan would be to make several visits and try out what they have and get a better feel for what's out there.

I mostly finger pick, but also use a pick for certain songs.

Thanks again.

Here is a quick overview of the models you listed.

D25- There were a few incarnations of this one made. In the late 60's early 70's they were an all solid Mahogany front/Back/sides Guild Dread. During hte early 70's there was a transition period where some models received Solid Mahogany tops and sides with Guilds signature Arched Laminated Mahogany Backs. The most common incarnation is from the early to mid 70's on which were made with Solid Spruce tops, Solid Hog sides and a Guild Arched laminated Mahogany Back. These were built this way through 2001 until Westerly shut down production. In the Early 2000's Corona made some All solid Mahogany Models again. The newest incarnation is the New Oxnard facility's D20 all solid Hog Dreads. Some folks think from 95 until 2001 some of the best versions of this guitar were made as Fender purchased Guild in 1995 and implemented stricter QC procedures.

D30 which was also known as the G37 in the early years was Guild's Solid Sitka Spruce top with Solid maples sides and an Arched laminated Maple back Dreadnought. These guitars are known for their Clarity and Arched Maple Goodness.

D40- This was Guilds Solid Sitka Spruce top Solid Mahogany flat back and sides Dreadnought. These guitars are often found at really good prices on the used market and were played by some Greats such as Richie Havens.

D50- This was Guilds Solid Sitka topped Solid Rosewood back and sides Dreadnought that has been a mainstay since the first Dreads were built around 1963. Most of the models up to 1969 have a good chance of Being Brazilian Rosewood Back and sides while most models 1970 and up were East Indian Rosewood Back and sides. You can normally find these guitars on the used Market in good condition for around $1000-$1300 depending on the year. Examples with Brazilian RW can go for much much more.

Hope this helps you get started. I would suggest picking up a copy of Hans Moust's Book "The Guild Guitar Book" for a much more detailed description as well as in depth info on all the models that were made between 1953 and 1977. If you can't find a physical copy I believe it is available on Digital fro a reasonable price.

TX

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Here is a quick overview of the models you listed.

D25- There were a few incarnations of this one made. In the late 60's early 70's they were an all solid Mahogany front/Back/sides Guild Dread. During hte early 70's there was a transition period where some models received Solid Mahogany tops and sides with Guilds signature Arched Laminated Mahogany Backs. The most common incarnation is from the early to mid 70's on which were made with Solid Spruce tops, Solid Hog sides and a Guild Arched laminated Mahogany Back. These were built this way through 2001 until Westerly shut down production. In the Early 200's Corona made some All solid Mahogany Models again. The newest incarnation is the New Oxnard facility's D20 all solid Hog Dreads. Some folks think from 95 until 2001 some of the best versions of this guitar were made as Fender purchased Guild in 1995 and implemented stricter QC procedures.

D30 which was also known as the G37 in the early years was Guild's Solid Sitka Spruce top with Solid maples sides and an Arched laminated Maple back Dreadnought. These guitars are known for their Clarity and Arched Maple Goodness.

D40- This was Guilds Solid Sitka Spruce top Solid Mahogany flat back and sides Dreadnought. These guitars are often found at really good prices on the used market and were played by some Greats such as Richie Havens.

D50- This was Guilds Solid Sitka topped Solid Rosewood back and sides Dreadnought that has been a mainstay since the first Dreads were built around 1963. Most of the models up to 1969 have a good chance of Being Brazilian Rosewood Back and sides while most models 1970 and up were East Indian Rosewood Back and sides. You can normally find these guitars on the used Market in good condition for around $1000-$13000 depending ont he year. Example with Brazilian RW can go for much much more.

Hope this helps you get started. I would suggest picking up a copy of Hans Moust's Book "The Guild Guitar Book" for a much more detailed description as well as in depth info on all the models that were made between 1953 and 1977. If you can't find a physical copy I believe it is available on Digital fro a reasonable price.

TX

And just to put a finer point on all things dreadnought, there was also a less fancy version of the D-40, called the D-35. And a WAY more fancy D-50, called the D-55.

DVX135

Reaction score
Guild Total
What about the jumbo 6-string body styles? Are these similar in tone, but just project more? Or are do they have specific tonal differences compared to a dreadnaught?
Anyone have a quick rundown on these models over the years?
Thanks again for all the info.