Is this a problem for you?

Antney

Reaction score
Saw this on AGF... new custom build guitar with a very visible seam on the top. Buyer says the guitar plays and sounds great. It's not a crack, it's just a visible seam. Would you keep it?

TpEdw2TJdzYol2JngZYoLilYlV7Mr2jaew7Qf4ix6iI

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If it was a Brand new Custom Built Guitar asking full price? Then yes it would bother me a bit. If it was a 20-25 year old guitar that still sounded and played great and there were no structural issues? In other words a result of aging, Then probably not as much but I would still notice it.

TX

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Perfectly symmetrical or centered things generally don't bother me. I also agree with TX.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd have to see it. For example, bookmatched tops are lovely and the seam is an integral part.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
If the seam is a structural flaw I'd have a problem. If it's purely cosmetic I'd be fine with it.

-Dave-

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The fact that it gets thicker indicates, to me, a poorly prepared joint. If it was consistent all along the top, that's one thing, but as it is, it looks like there is less wood to wood contact as it goes. And with a top that's only 1/8" thick, that seems worrying for the long term.

Reaction score
When I check out any guitar, I start by staring at the area below the bridge. If it looks good, I might be interested. If it looks ugly, I'm not so interested.
A good tight centre seam usually looks pretty good and may look very nice if it highlights the separation of nicely bookmatched tops as mentioned by fronobulax.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Depending upon the guitar and the price it may well make zero difference to me. Certain guitars I would like to be pretty pristine, for others, provided they are priced right, it's just not all that important to me.

I think it's more of a personal thing. Cork sniffers would hate it and others may not.