1971 D50 on Reverb: Brazilian rosewood

tarheelguild

Reaction score
https://reverb.com/item/5246178-vintage-guild-d50-1971-brazillian-rosewood

Hey folks! If anyone's interested, this is a really nice old D50. I recently bought and then returned it because for what I wanted, it wasn't quite "it". The action is really nice up to the 5'th fret, but the neck dips too much for me past that. I like really low action straight up the neck and this didn't have that, though it might be able to be set up better without a neck reset. The Guitar Center tech playing it in the video didn't seem to have a problem finger-picking it.
The gal who's selling it is really nice. This D50 belonged to her brother who passed away suddenly last year and she doesn't play and want to find a good home for it. It's got a nice, warm sound but I like the tone to be a little brighter. Check it out if you're interested.....! The case is functional but should be trashed and replaced by a new one.
Tony

PS: After she refunded me, I bought a really nice '96 antique burst D30 which I can't wait to get and play! I will post pix when I get it, promise!

'96 D4 NT
'96 D25 CH
'98 D225 (same as D25 12)
"84 D40 NT
'00 Taylor 414ce

docfishr

Reaction score
Be carefull, that does not look like any Brazilian Rosewood I have seen. I could be wrong about that but I have worked with rosewood for many years and that looks more like IR to me. I would ask for verification if possible.

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Be carefull, that does not look like any Brazilian Rosewood I have seen. I could be wrong about that but I have worked with rosewood for many years and that looks more like IR to me. I would ask for verification if possible.

The sides are IR, but I'm pretty sure the back is BR. It's redder in color and not as dark as the sides. The woman's brother was the original owner and bought back when it was new. He told her it was BR before he passed.
96 D4 NT
'96 D25 CH
'98 D225 (same as D25 12)
'98 D30 AB
"84 D40 NT
'00 Taylor 414ce

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The sides are IR, but I'm pretty sure the back is BR. It's redder in color and not as dark as the sides. The woman's brother was the original owner and bought back when it was new. He told her it was BR before he passed.
That's contrary to what Hans reported in the Book. He's said that at the end of the 60s they had a good supply of Braz. sides, but not backs. They probably used any remaining Braz, backs on their top of the lines models.

wileypickett

Reaction score
No hard and fast rules at Guild, as we know!

I have a D50 with a Brazilian rosewood BACK, from the same year as this one. The sides may or may not be Brazilian (Kim and Chris at Guild in New Hartford weren't sure) but the back is for certain. it's highly figured, unlike this one which looks more like EIR to me as well.

That's contrary to what Hans reported in the Book. He's said that at the end of the 60s they had a good supply of Braz. sides, but not backs. They probably used any remaining Braz, backs on their top of the lines models.

jazzmang

Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds like they were all over the place. My '71 D-55 looks to have Braz sides, but not the back.