Music last night at the Alzheimer's unit

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
So we're taking the summer off and we're going to pick up the schedule at the Alzheimer's facilities again in September. Last night was our last outing of the season. I do this 2-3 times a week. (Eldermusic, Inc. "restoring joy and hope through live music")

Last night, one of our regulars at this particular location got up and danced through a whole song that we played and sang. This particular woman is in the advanced stages of dementia; she normally sits with her chin on her chest, expressionless. She never actually sings along; I think she is incapable of verbal communication at this point.

We did the song "King Of Kings And Lord Of Lords" which has a nice strong downbeat in Em and B7, and I increase the tempo each time, 3 times total. Old gal got up and started doing the two-step, lol, and she kept up with every tempo change. Not only that, she had a big smile on her face the whole time. Even her regular caretakers were amazed; smiling and dancing aren't typically in her repertoire.

What a great way to end the season! That was like shooting a "hole in one" at the golf course.

Last edited:

Antney

Reaction score
I am touched by this...my mom is 96 1/2 and we just had to move her into a long term care facility (nursing home if you will). There are all levels of dementia and Alzheimer's patients present on her floor. It can be a tough gig on any given day. Music is universal. Let's hope none of us lose the ability to take enjoyment and life whenever we're in its presence

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Music touches the heart. I would say you provided that lady a gift beyond measure. Bless you sir for all that you are doing.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just remembered that's also exactly why I started using that Rachmaninoff quote in my sig:
"Time may change the technique of music but never its mission"

Neal

Reaction score
I take too many things for granted. My ability to make music, and enjoy the music of others, is one of those things.

I have a gig tonight, and am going to try to enjoy every single song, and not worry so much about screwing up.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good point, Neal. I've had to remind a few band members over the years "as soon as this ceases to be fun, I'm outta here!"